Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

where to buy snell helmet in so cal??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to buy snell helmet in so cal??

anyone knows a shop in so cal that sells Snell approved helmets?

I plan to go to track school and I need to buy a helmet.

Cant buy it online cuz i dont know what size
Old Aug 27, 2003, 03:56 PM

Here you go, Orange County, these guys are great!

http://www.subesports.com/products/?...73&cat=Helmets
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:33 AM

Cool! Thanks Phil!!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:31 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need an SA rated helmet or just an M rated helmet? (snell rates helmets for tons of different uses). If you just need an M rated helmet, you can find them at any motorcycle shop, and right now you can find the model closeouts for $100 and under. If you need an SA rated helmet, be prepared to spend $300 and up.

Phil, that link is awesome, has some of the best prices I've seen on those models yet!!! I'm gonna need an SA helmet soon.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:36 PM

Buy the best one you can afford, it may save your life or ugly face.
M rated (murdercycle) helmets won't fly at most SCCA speed events. Ms are acceptable at some low speed schools.
www.scca.org somewhere in there is approvel Snell helmet specs. The guys at Sube Sports will know.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 10:15 PM

Here's a link to a helmet size guide: http://www.soloracer.com/helmetsizing.html

Hope that helps. I'm trying to get to some track events myself.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:22 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by Phil P
Buy the best one you can afford, it may save your life or ugly face.
M rated (murdercycle) helmets won't fly at most SCCA speed events. Ms are acceptable at some low speed schools.
www.scca.org somewhere in there is approvel Snell helmet specs. The guys at Sube Sports will know.
My understanding has always been that the ONLY difference between M and SA rated helmets is that SA helmets have fire resistant linings. Bell Magnum and Simpson Voyager are 2 good examples, because they offer the same model in M and SA by adding a nomex lining. Speed events I have attended only require M rated helmets, as fire almost never occurs in the types of vehicles involved, especially with the strict passing rules that avoid collisions. The events that do require SA helmets but not fire resistant suits only do so because the insurance company, on some whim, required it (as is the reason Redline requires pants and long sleeve t-shirts, which offer no protection whatsoever).

Snell SA2000 standards

Snell M2000 standards

Looking at those two documents, SA also requires slightly more visibility, which implies nothing about protection but allows the drivers to see better with the restricted movement. So the Bell and Simpson (and others) which have both certifications simply have the larger of the 2 standards. Other than that, the two sets of standards are almost identical.

Now with all that said, I suppose it would still be good to have an SA helmet in the event that you do attend an event that requires it (although I've seen way too many M rated helmets sneak past tech inspection), and you can rest assured that if your car bursts into flames, your face won't be burned as badly.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:49 AM

i ordered my helmet from http://www.thebellstore.com and had it next day delivered to me at the race track... best thing to do is order direct from the source.

if you wanna go through an actual store, go to http://supremepowerparts.com/ or call them at (714) 632-1951.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

urbanknight, you are right, there is little difference between a motorcycle and a car helmet. the major reason bike car helmets are more expensive is the testing and certification in a fire situation. as for material use, they are pretty much identical.

as for why some cost much more than others, its just a matter of then screwing people and trying to get rich quick.

here is an pretty good yet low cost helmet. a friend of mine just got it. its got current Snell and will pass NHRA tech. comes out to be about $85 shipped.

http://www.gforcecycles.com/Merchant...y_Code=600.500
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:51 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

That IS a good price. I think I've only seen prices lower than that on open face helmets. I think my next one will have to be SA rated, because I'm getting into VARA racing with my father. At least they require your entire body to be fire proof and not just your head I do agree that the helmet companies are ripping us off by charging so much for SA ratings, although I do know they have to submit 10 helmets in every size and model to be tested, which includes burned, smashed, destroyed, etc. So I figure that costs them a few thousand for each model. But yeah, they sell thousands and thousands of the helmet over the next 5 years too.

Thanks for the info, Artinist. Hey, you should stop by some of our local Lancer/Evo meets some time. Starions are nice cars to play with.

Last edited by urbanknight; Nov 24, 2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

ya i might show up at the pasadena meet with my buddy "trev0006" who has an evo.
i work in pasadena too.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:38 AM

I end up getting it at AutoBacs in Huntington beach for about 100.
motocycle helmet, just M2000 rated