Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^ this is awesome.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

smog

Just got the new "AB 2289" smog today for the first time.

Went in with stock airbox and stock cat. Along with Ecuflash tune.
He looked under the car for the cat to be present, and looked around the engine bay for a few seconds around the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and moved around some hoses.
Everyone's experience on the visual will be different though because its likely dependent on how strict they are and how much they know.

Started the car and plugged in his new laptop into the OBDII port. Took about 30 seconds then he unplugged it. No sniffer or gas cap check nonsense. It was actually that fast.

Interestingly he selected N/A for turbocharger...

Passed. Here's the cert with checklist for reference for those who haven't gone through this yet. Showed up immediately in DMV records so I could pay the reg online.
Thanks for posting this. I take it you didn't have any check engine lights on correct? I wonder where it would indicate that on your attachment.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just passed with speed density conversion, stock exhaust and intake, built stroker engine, cams, 1000cc injectors, forge mbc and bov, tephra mod to force pass on tests that i'm supposed to pass... all good with the dmv and the new obdII only test... no check engine lights on the car either... tech thought it was stock... i had to bite my tongue... this was at a star certified testing station too... didn't have to go to one but it was close to my work
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
Thanks for posting this. I take it you didn't have any check engine lights on correct? I wonder where it would indicate that on your attachment.
Correct, NO CEL on. Which is easy to do, even with no cat present.

If I were to guess, under the lower section, OBDII would be a FAIL if CEL was on. Also still guessing but that would probably also say FAIL if the readiness checks were not ready.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help CA smog test......

Hello,

I've been away from the forums for about two years and away from the whole modding thing as well. My EVO IX has been essentially a garage queen during the past few years. Anyways just paid registration and they want me to do a smog test before they send it out. The first time I had it done I had a connection and he passed me without ever seeing my car. Well now that guy moved out of state and this time I have to actually take my car and get the smog test. Not sure what to do? Do you think I can pass with my current mods? I'm stock turbo with bolt ons. Here is my mod list:

ETS 3.5'' FMIC
ETS stock route complete IC pipe kit
ETS 3'' intake
RRE stealth TBE w/ test pipe
FIC 850cc
Walbro 255 pump
Hallman pro MBC
koyo radiator

If I slap on a catted test pipe and do a retune do you think I can pass smog? All comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks guys
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump.......

Any help/tips/suggestions would be appreciated because I'm on a tight time frame.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i would just put the stock cat on and call it a day, i have pretty much the same mods you do and i havent got a problem yet, some might fail your visual because of the piping but most shops wont care
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys... I don't post on here much anymore. But I am trying to smog my Evo 8 now and have already been turned away by 2 shops because of my injectors/fuel rail. Unfortunately I need to go to a STAR station.

[Please don't] -golgo13

Yes really... lol

Last edited by RPRalliart04; Nov 10, 2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Illegal smog, really?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:09 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by RPRalliart04
Hey guys... I don't post on here much anymore. But I am trying to smog my Evo 8 now and have already been turned away by 2 shops because of my injectors/fuel rail. Unfortunately I need to go to a STAR station.

[Please don't] -golgo13

swap the stuff on. takes about 15mins.

Last edited by golgo13; Apr 6, 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

The way the new smog tests work its really hard to "pass the cars". Sniffer test used to be the big issue to get by, now the ECU HAS to be scanned...at least for 2000 and up.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You mean more than the usual OBD-II scan?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 02:51 PM

I have a star smog station in Souther California PM me if you have any questions concerning inspection.

I also have evom and socal evo members who can vouch for me. Shoot me a PM for more information.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions
The way the new smog tests work its really hard to "pass the cars". Sniffer test used to be the big issue to get by, now the ECU HAS to be scanned...at least for 2000 and up.

I can confirm this to be tru. I took my car in to be smogged and thy didn't put my lancer on the rollers at all, thy hooked somthin up to the ecu obd2 port and it wirelessly transmitted required data back the machine... I though this was odd as I didn't see this before but from what you said, I guess its true...

I took my car in to be smogged and failed just cause of the p0421 code, I knew I was gonna fail and I knew what part needed to be changed but was procrastinating lol.. But I passed the 2nd time around as I fixed my issue. had to replace the cat converter/header on my car $ 500 part not easy to swallow but changing it myself was easy part and took me only about 2hrs, took my sweet time
This part MagnaFlow 56180 Large Stainless Steel CA Legal Direct Fit Catalytic Converter one I bought
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody passed with a Perrin HFC? I may end up in CA, and would hate to go back to the stock cat.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:44 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by InitialE
Anybody passed with a Perrin HFC? I may end up in CA, and would hate to go back to the stock cat.
possibly, if it looks OEM. i actually put OEM heat shields on mine. there is no part number anywhere on the cat, so i should be okay.

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]