Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Boost "Control" Flashes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
We've had concerned customers with their vehicles on some bay-area dynos. It starts out that they are told something is "wrong" and then they come back to us. We have taken the time to set up proper diagnostic equipment on the car and do real-world tests in a variety of conditions and then take a deep, hard look at the data. In the past, nothing has been seen that would indicate a "bad" tune or anything else out of the ordinary. It could be bad gas, it could be the artificial environment of the dyno itself or some other variable.

However, if anyone is at all concerned about how their vehicle is performing, please contact us here at the shop and we can set up an appointment to perform datalogging, diagnostics, etc... and make software changes if need be. We stand by all WORKS products and are here to provide improved, reliable power both today and for years to come.

i wish it were that easy everywhere else. nice to see a connection between a tuner and the products they sell.

john
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:19 AM

Intresting.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

so are you guys coming to MOD '07 at Normal, IL to perform flashes? I heard you guys did two years ago. I probably asked this already but haven't got a response yet.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:23 AM
Account Disabled

Unfortunately I don't think we are going to make it this year. But you can always send your ECU in to be flashed. We have a really fast turn around time; usually 48hours from when we receive the ECU.

-Bill@WORKS
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:14 PM

what is the difference between the p1 and the p2 for the X ?
can you explain your policy on re flashes?etc.. how much power does the re flash make compared to stock? When I buy an exhaust will I need to re flash again? Does your re flash include the factory updates for idle problems etc.?
Sorry for the newbie questions. I want to re flash but need to know how it all works.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:21 AM

I would like to have a general range of the Hp and TQ differences between the levels as well, please. For instance what differences in power can I generally expect between P0 and P1 and 2?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
Account Disabled

The variation between the WORKS Brain Flash P1 and P2 is boost control. The P1 keeps the OEM taper in place, whereas the P2 alters the maps and we include a new boost hose assembly to keep the boost elevated. Output is variable, but on the X we're usually seeing peak gains in the 50-60 HP level with the P2 on an otherwise stock car and have seen higher gains elsewhere in the powerband. The P1 will have less mid-to-high RPM output due to the boost still being allowed to taper off. Because boost will peak at relatively the same level, max torque between the two are fairly similar, but just like HP will taper off as RPMs rise on the P1 vs P2.

Assuming, the "P0" is the Eco Flash, we're mainly targeting the fuel maps, tip-in enrichment, etc... and not after a performance gain. However, because we are able to bring the A/F ratio to a more reasonable level, peak output does climb around 15HP. Power isn't what we're after, just a by-product of leaning things out.

Upgrades to the flash generally aren't needed for most bolt-on items as changes in airflow can be picked up by the OEM sensors and the ECU will still be able to make the necessary adjustments. This isn't to say that the car wouldn't benefit from a software upgrade, but the changes may be relatively small and wouldn't warrant sending in the ECU until other, more significant changes (or multiple small changes) are made. There are exceptions to this, so if there's a specific component you're changing and are unsure as to how it may affect the overall performance, feel free to contact us ahead of time so that we can help answer that question.

Factory updates/upgrades can be integrated into the software, but we prefer to have these sorted by the dealer so that there's a "paper trail" at Mitsubishi should they need this information in the future.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:22 PM

Thank you, Jamie. Great explanation. I will be ordering my P1 flash very soon.