Notices

RRM Solid Motor Mounts

Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SLYDOGRACING
Awesome mounts for a great Price and willing to help with Questions!!!
Thanks. We worked hard at them to make sure we got them right!!

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey so I know this post is really old but I definitely need some help with my motor mount installation. I recently had to purchase/rebuild three of my four motor mounts on my 04 Ralli (the front, the back, and the tranny one on the driver side). I had previously changed the back one before, however, after the accident my car was involved many issues came up and the motor mounts were one of them.

I started removing the tranny mount first but was told by a mechanic that in order to remove the tranny mount I had to remove the other two first. I proceeded with the removal of the mounts and then started to replace them however it became very difficult to put everything back together since many bolts are not lining up . I have had a very difficult time putting them back into place. After reading some of the post it seems that my engine has probably moved. As a non mechanic this sounds pretty serious which I have no clue what I should do besides try and jack the car's engine and tranny at various positions?

It would be great if anyone can give me some pointers or suggestions on what I should do next.

Last edited by esanabria32; Feb 7, 2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I hope you disconnected the exhaust, cause you may need to move the engine around, and the exhaust being connected will make it more difficult, and you may put stress on the flex pipe...you may require a gasket. Anyway, the passenger side (LHD) mount is still connected, so if you jack the transmission case you should be able to lift it quite easily, use a piece of wood if you like, so not to damage the case, if you're careful it'll be fine without it...be sure you're not jacking the motor into anything, or you may lift the entire car, or damage something in the process, aside from creating an obviously dangerous situation. have the jack oriented so the engine and transmission is easily swung forward, and aft (the transmission cross-member should be removed at this point...if it is not, and all three mounts are off, then you need to jack the motor right now, and remove it while the jack holds up the engine and tranny, if you tried to remove that while the engine and tranny sitting on it, you may get hurt or damage something)...connect the driver side mount first, on the end of the tranny. so it's sitting level side to side, and will roll fairly easily, although wiring and hoses may hold in place,...it will probably roll rear-ward because the diff and intake manifold outweigh the exhaust manifold. so you would want to install the rear mount next, and use the jack to roll the diff case. so yeah, roll the engine until the rear mount is lined up, insert bolt and hand tight the nut, unless the threads are ****ed, get it on a few turns... same with the far tranny mount, just put the bolt through and install the nut. this will give you small amounts of play that will ease lining up the mounts...a large drift punch can be handy. now you should already have your new front mount installed on the cross-member, start the cross-member mounting bolts, and line up the mount, once done you can tighten everything up, and reconnect the exhaust. I think that's everything

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 01:47 PM

Hey Cranswick, sorry for the late reply. Once I read it I was pretty excited and got to work. Unfortunately i did not disconnect the exhaust, however I managed to put the driver side mount back in. I tried everything you told me but unfortunately when I get to connecting the cross member at the end it doesn't seem to line up correctly. I have tried jacking from various spots as well taking everything back off but it doesn't seem to be working. At this point I honestly feel like I want remove the whole engine and place it back in, but unfortunately I don't have the tools.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

take a picture
Old Feb 20, 2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
take a picture
Not very good with the camera but here they are:

motor mount by firewall

Same picture with light

Tranny side mount.

The tranny mount in the picture is the original mount I had first taken off, I decided to rebuilt it. The one I had replaced it with was the wrong one. At the wrecking place where I bought "the new one" they told me it was the same but after trying and comparing it, I found out it was for an automatic transmission so it was different. Everything seems to be fitting a bit better with the original tranny mount but it's still a bit offset as you can see from the pictures.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

what do you mean rebuilt? something is off...the transmission side mount looks fine...what about the front roll stopper?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:14 AM

what do you mean rebuilt? something is off...the transmission side mount looks fine...what about the front roll stopper?
Yeah a shop I was referred to replaces the broken bushings for the different mounts. They did all three of the mounts. I don't really think that should be the problem but then again I can't really rule that possibility out. The front roller is good, it went in without much trouble this time. I can take a picture of it later.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

So you replaced the rear mount before, are you're sure it's the correct part? How sure are you it was lined up better before you removed it? What kind of accident was it in? was it a collision with another vehicle? do you have pictures of the damage?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 01:27 AM

So you replaced the rear mount before, are you're sure it's the correct part? How sure are you it was lined up better before you removed it? What kind of accident was it in? was it a collision with another vehicle? do you have pictures of the damage?
Yes that's the first part I replaced when I first got the car. Yes I'm sure the part was the correct one. I'm pretty sure it was lined up better but not 100%. Yes it was a collision with another car. As far as pictures these aren't the best but it's what I could find right now.

A little update though and one of the reasons I haven't been able to reply is because I had to put it all together overnight and move it from where it was. So I put everything together and it all seemed okay until I move it for a day and saw a leak where I park it. I checked under and seen my axle slowly bleeding out again, so now I feel like I'm back to square one.
Attached Thumbnails RRM Solid Motor Mounts-img_1387.jpg   RRM Solid Motor Mounts-img_1389.jpg   RRM Solid Motor Mounts-img_1388.jpg  

Last edited by esanabria32; Mar 15, 2017 at 06:08 PM.