Notices

Thejoys of changing a front wheel bearing on a Lancer Ralliart

Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axels are fine, it's a front sensor.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Definately go with ATE racing DOT4, it has a much higher boiling point even than DOT5.1 spec...brake fade is really bad, i had to finish a lap with downshifts and hand brake once, when i got to the pit, i saw that the prestone DOT4 was boiling in the reservoir...and stainless braided flex lines are a good investment, but fluid is #1.
Thanks I will look into it.
Are you on R Comps?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by VENOMJR
Thanks I will look into it.

Are you on R Comps?
no, i use street tires when i'm lapping/autoX, i have Hoosier R6's on 15" steelies for the drag strip. My last set of tires were Kumho Ecsta SPT, they're 320 treadwear, they were really good for the most part when i was not turbocharged. They do have pretty soft sidewalls, so they're decent on the strip, but not desireable. With the turbo i could spin both tires all the way through second gear from like 3,000 rpm. So i'm in the market for stickier tires for this year.

*edit

i cross referenced the Evolution8/9, eclipse GS 3rd and 4th generation, FWD outlander, and the base lancers...the only ABS sensors that were the same were the Lancer ES and OZ rally of the same generation...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THREAD RIVIVAL
by and chance did u need to buy the whole hub assembly? or is it possible to just do the bearings with our cars? I have to go on a long drive in the next couple weeks and my bearings are making a horrible whooping sound and vibrating, and money is a little tight so im hoping I can just do the bearings as I have access to a bearing tool.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the front this is what I bought :
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...553&cc=1432579

Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/Asportback
THREAD RIVIVAL
by and chance did u need to buy the whole hub assembly? or is it possible to just do the bearings with our cars? I have to go on a long drive in the next couple weeks and my bearings are making a horrible whooping sound and vibrating, and money is a little tight so im hoping I can just do the bearings as I have access to a bearing tool.
you need a shop press and some bearing/seal seating dies...and some othe rrandom **** for like spacers and whatever for pressiing ****...uh, also the sna ring is probaly rusted to all sorts of ****, and will be ****ty to get it out...normal long handle bent nose needle nose plier will compress a brand new ring, but i wouldn't even bother trying to remove it in such a manner...my suggestion is destroy it...i found that penetratiing lubricant, punches and various common screw drivers were more useful. f course hammer...i had some beer earlier, hope this makes sense///
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you need a shop press and some bearing/seal seating dies...and some othe rrandom **** for like spacers and whatever for pressiing ****...uh, also the sna ring is probaly rusted to all sorts of ****, and will be ****ty to get it out...normal long handle bent nose needle nose plier will compress a brand new ring, but i wouldn't even bother trying to remove it in such a manner...my suggestion is destroy it...i found that penetratiing lubricant, punches and various common screw drivers were more useful. f course hammer...i had some beer earlier, hope this makes sense///

HAHAHA thanks crans yea, I took my car to a guy who said he could do it, and he got half way through and said he couldn't. so now me and the "mad scientists" need to rip apart my front end at my house, and try to get the knuckles to place to get them pressed in. I told them to bring ALOT of beer and their biggest hammers, and any lil tips for the snap ring? it seems mine is seized
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/Asportback
HAHAHA thanks crans yea, I took my car to a guy who said he could do it, and he got half way through and said he couldn't. so now me and the "mad scientists" need to rip apart my front end at my house, and try to get the knuckles to place to get them pressed in. I told them to bring ALOT of beer and their biggest hammers, and any lil tips for the snap ring? it seems mine is seized

use a regular punch and some PB blaster or whatever, and tap (hard) the ring all around repeatedly to try and break it free...for my driver side, the little hooks at the open end of the ring was completely rusted off, making the next step very difficult. then, if you can get a punch into the hook and try to either get the whole ring to spin, which would then allow it to be compressed...or try to punch one of the hook ends inward, then get a couple sturdy common screwdrivers between the ring and the knuckle and coax it out that way...worst case scenario, you may need to cut it as much as you can and then break it...this process took me a few hours when I had to do it....the passenger side work with the punch and screwdriver coaxing method, and took only about 15 minutes...

also when pressing the bearing out...you may find that even with max hydraulic pressure, it won't budge...before putting too much force with the press, get a metal hammer and tap all around the knuckle...the vibration tends to break it free...just be careful cause if you have a lot of force on it, it will give way quite violently.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 5, 2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:57 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I remember helping a friend with his corolla. Same situation. Lots of swearing on his part
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

wheel bearings are probably one of the most frustrating jobs to do...I'm just glad I got both done, and they should be good for another few years...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

I usually just buy the whole assembly as one.... It is a lot less of a headache.. I learned the hard way....
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

I make decent money, but if I had to pay for automotive labour, and extra parts for the sake of ease, with the insurance rates and cost of fuel where I live, I'd be broke...I don't know how the guys I work with do it...I mean the single guys, and D.I.N.K.'s I get it, but the rest of us....

in the past 6 years, I've had 3 (road worthy) cars, only two at a time (and never making payments on two at once), but between them, 3 clutches, 3 transmission rebuilds, 2 timing belts, 2 water pumps, 5 wheel bearings, 10 struts, 16 tires, about 12 brake pads, 6 rotors, I could say 20 or more oil changes, the list goes on...plus all the mods on my RA I'm still under $30k including the outright cost of the vehicles, which is what ONE average, and decent (non-economy) car can cost over 5 years new (even with low or zero initial interest), NOT including maintenance and oil changes...I think I did alright, though the tools I've collected in those years would definitely put me over $30k.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM.