Notices

Thejoys of changing a front wheel bearing on a Lancer Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thejoys of changing a front wheel bearing on a Lancer Ralliart

For the last 3 weeks or so I have been trying to change my front right wheel bearing.
There were challenges like the bolt that holds the knuckle to the lower arm breaking, and the axle being seized into the hub.
I beat the axle with a 2lb hammer, and a sledge to no avail, ruining the axle nut in the process. Even driving without the axle nut installed did not help. I tried an air hammer, then a more powerful air hammer which flattened the chisel and did not budge the axle.

That's when I sought help from the this forum and RalliartN stepped in. We met at the workshop last Saturday and in short order had the knuckle off the car with the axle still in it, but no problem. Having applied a home made penetrant I was sure that the mere sight of the 20 ton press would scare that axle out of the hole. Well we cranked on it good, and still nothing, but RalliartN still had another trick, he called in a friend who then used a torch and after about 8-10 minutes of heat and an air hammer it FINALLY budged, so we kept it up and that sucker came out at last.

Cranswick came by too which was good cause Nick said things tend to workout when he shows up.

Should any one find themselves in a similar situation, I recommend making sure the nut is flush with the axle before beating or pressing on it to avoid damaging the threads on the axle like I did. And if you try with a sledge and nothing happens then have a go with a torch from the wheel side, applying heat to the flange where it surrounds the axle.

Thanks for giving up your Saturday to help me Nick, and for lunch too.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Oct 22, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i'll post that pic of you holding your big hammer when i get home...and Nick, thanks for the pint and food, even though i was late getting there, and didn't help much other than riding the brakes

I forgot the rest of my son's meal there, cause i had to drag his coat and shoeless *** out of there quick cause he was getting grumpy and tired.

Next time, i'm buying...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My pleasure gentlemen, I had a great time too. Good company does it for me!

I visited our mechanic friend on Sunday morning and he said 2006_RA's seized axle was the worst it ever gets - he sees maybe one of those a year. It was worth the bottle of rum.

On Sunday I had another bizarre car thing. The old Impreza needed a new plastic ball socket pushed into a front windshield wiper linkage arm. Subaru had to have installed that wiper motor+linkage in that recess below the windshield then welded the area shut 'cause it was impossible to reach. Long story short: 3 hours later, the wife clambered onto the engine and her ferret-like hand got the nut started onto the wiper motor shaft deep in the recesses of the firewall amidst razor sharp sheet metal edges, and that buttoned up the job. I'm glad she used to be a gymnast
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

So, here's George's favorite tool...if a hammer doesn't work, appearently you need a bigger hammer...he actually made kind of a serious, "i might just kill you" face, but then he just started to crack a smile...

Name:  102020124983.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  188.0 KB

I showed up late, and missed all the fun unfortunately, but i got there in time for hand shakes, smiles of accomplishment and of course the debrief, and general banter over a pint of beer...

And i got a shot of Nick and George inspecting my handy work...for close up carnage see "drivetrain noise & vibration"

Name:  102020124984.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  207.3 KB
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to do all 4 yaaaaa fun fun to be had. Mike and I did the pass side one a few years back I really only need to do 3 but for the sake of keeping everything the same I will do all 4. If I remember correctly we removed the axle and used a press. It was getting scary but it eventually popped out.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Brent, take pictures if you end up with a stack of smouldering cherry red steering knuckles. Anyway, please let us know what happens! Wish I could be there...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring up an older thread but, I am having a hack of a time with my front wheelbearing job. Both front axles on my 04RA are stuck... other than machining them out I think it over. I did everything by the book for these kind of things, penetrating lube, air hammers, big lead sledge hammer and a torch...

The right side axle thread is busted up pretty bad also.

So what know? I have new bearings. Where do I buy new hubs/knuckles and outer axels?
How about getting a newer 07+ hub/knuckle assy with the bolt on hub style? Will it fit?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VENOMJR
Where do I buy new hubs/knuckles and outer axels?
Check out http://mypartshop.com/ not new parts but not new $$$ either.
I considered this too, but what stopped me was the ABS wheel sensor. It costs a lot.

Where in Ontario are you ?

As Leon aptly demonstrated in my case, there is some finesse to the torch required.
Also we only had success when we employed these tactics (heat, penetrant and air hammer) together.

Dont give up, good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Check out http://mypartshop.com/ not new parts but not new $$$ either.
I considered this too, but what stopped me was the ABS wheel sensor. It costs a lot.

Where in Ontario are you ?

As Leon aptly demonstrated in my case, there is some finesse to the torch required.
Also we only had success when we employed these tactics (heat, penetrant and air hammer) together.

Dont give up, good luck.
Thanks for the link I am going to check it out today and this thread defietely help me a lot! I I am from London Ontario and this is actually my sons car. I am just prepping it for him to do some lapping days this year so far we did the timing belt, water pump, hp+ pads and new rotors. The car came with a Tien Street kit and that looks to be in good shape.

I called up a couple wreckers in our area and found 2 RA's, one with a left font intact and the other with the right front... So knowing I can get spares I took another stab at it last night with the torch and they broke free at last. The left side needed two read hot heat cycles for it to brake free lol. Both axle threads and one ABS sensor is busted... Grrrrr

Helpfull tip for others: Get that sucker red hot and let it cool down completely, then read hot again. The extra heat cycles did the trick for me.

Hopefully I can get her going today as we are picking up the new Starspecs Z2's for it Saturday

Cheers
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

those HP+ pads will eat those rotors...for a track only car they are great, but for street i would recommend HPS, much better that OEM, but not as abrasive as HP+.

Also, not so much pads, but flush and bleed the brake system with ATE DOT 4 brake fluid...OEM or part store DOT 4 will boil if you're on the brakes a lot, and your son could end up in the "rough"...ATE is great cause it comes in two different colors, blue and amber, so everytime you bleed, you know you're done when you see a different color...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:39 AM

Good tip about the ATE colour thing didn't know that.
I usually run Wilwood EXP600 or RBF600.
On my Z06 I run HP+ for lapping/practice, for TA either Wilwood H compound or DTC 70's.
My son used to pretty quick in Rotax Jr so I think he's gonna need at least HP+ out on the track and for street driving he can use the EBC Redstuff that came with the car.

Anyway we got it all done, axels, hubs, the works and had the Z2's put on over the weekend! So far just fooling around I am very impressed! The car feels pretty good, I think he's gonna have a blast!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

What made you guys choose a 2004 Lancer Ralliart to do daily driver/track car duty ?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VENOMJR
Good tip about the ATE colour thing didn't know that.
I usually run Wilwood EXP600 or RBF600.
On my Z06 I run HP+ for lapping/practice, for TA either Wilwood H compound or DTC 70's.
My son used to pretty quick in Rotax Jr so I think he's gonna need at least HP+ out on the track and for street driving he can use the EBC Redstuff that came with the car.

Anyway we got it all done, axels, hubs, the works and had the Z2's put on over the weekend! So far just fooling around I am very impressed! The car feels pretty good, I think he's gonna have a blast!
Definately go with ATE racing DOT4, it has a much higher boiling point even than DOT5.1 spec...brake fade is really bad, i had to finish a lap with downshifts and hand brake once, when i got to the pit, i saw that the prestone DOT4 was boiling in the reservoir...and stainless braided flex lines are a good investment, but fluid is #1.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
What made you guys choose a 2004 Lancer Ralliart to do daily driver/track car duty ?
I was looking for something fun to drive without spending too much. We found this accident damaged RA for cheap and it came with most of the popular upgrades like the bigger rad, intake, coil overs, rear brace etc. I bought 2 doors and pulled the b pillar a little.

I spent more on this front wheel bearing project than fixing up the damage grrr. And now the abs light came on again. Need another sensor again.
Do we have a 4 wire or 5 wire sensor? Anyone tried a sensor from another car?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

i can cross reference the part number for you later...check the rear emergency drum brake, i once had a shoe retaining pin fail, and the shoe made metal/metal contact with the drum, and threw an ABS light...

is the ABS spline on the axle damaged at all?

just spit ballin' here...

Quick Reply: Thejoys of changing a front wheel bearing on a Lancer Ralliart