Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Dirty Lancers!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Oh and Ive seen your car on jacks at all four corners. Do you feel there is any safety concerns with the entire car lifted? I got into this debate with some friends and family before. They swear its unsafe and unstable. I say just the opposite. Its planted on on solid, flat surface, and if its going to be left that way for a while your not putting extra stress on either the front or back suspension for long periods of time. IDK just wanted to see what your thoughts were since I know youve done it.
IMO its safe...
if you're concerned about teh car being on 4 stands like crans said.....just stick wheels underneath or a jack(to help support, not to hold all the weight...that's the point of the jackstands) so IF it failed in some catastrofic way and the jackstands are no longer under the car, it doesn't just fall to the ground(aka on you), but ontop of the wheels leaving you @ least soem room to try and wiggle out and/or wait for help

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I would actually take a lot of force to knock a car of jack stands. but if your friends and family are that concerned they should pitch in and buy you a hydraulic lift.
LOL..+1

UPDATE:

no pics, but the transmission is back together. I was going to rob the other transmission of all the gears that were better than mine and build up one set of good shafts, but then I said screw it and just replaced one diff bearing, and the one output shaft bearing that is pressed into the case. Got my flywheel resurfaced today, hopefully I can get the clutch and transmission mounted tomorrow. at least I don't work tomorrow I should be able to make good head way. problem is I'm working out of someone else's garage, and time is not on my side.
good luck man...sounds like it was a bit of hell inyour trans for justa bit...hope it gets sorted out soon...im sure that beast is just ready to go and not just hang out on jackstands...
it's not a show queen, right?..lol
Old Apr 7, 2014, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
clutch is installed. transmission is mounted. pics to follow.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great progress man! i hope everything turned out well and that beast gets back on the road asap. its just amazing how you can do all of that by yourself. wish i could do that lol...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rzrxn
great progress man! i hope everything turned out well and that beast gets back on the road asap. its just amazing how you can do all of that by yourself. wish i could do that lol...
It's not hard...you'll see
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

It's not hard...you'll see
that's very encouraging man! i can't wait to get started. i'm a tactile/visual learner so i'm sure i'll be able to learn A LOT when we actually go through the process.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

so basically, I swapped my own transmission into the new case...some of the gears were in better shape than mine, in fact, all the gears that looked perfect in the donor transmission were not so great in mine, and all the gears that looked not so good, were much better in mine...I basically could have made a perfect transmission, but I've opted to donate the output shaft to rzrxn, and then i'll rebuild his output shaft and the spare input shaft for myself...that IS if I can get my original case repaired...if not i'll store the shafts in a bag of oil for whenever I need them again.

here's the "new" tranny...I would have cleaned it up, if I gave a ****, but...yeah. It's my old case, and my old shafts, and the Quaife with only the new bell housing/differential case swapped over. The amount of spare parts puts a smile on my face

notice the new rear roll stopper bracket? the donor transmission came with one, but I broke mine in half, and bought a new one long before the clutch failed...I used the brand new one out of principle.

Here's the flywheel torqued and clutch aligned...didn't take pics of the pressure plate installed, cause I doesn't look any different than my old one, lol...

likei said, the transmission is already installed...just need to reinstall my axles, fill her up with oil, and reinstall the charge pipe for the turbo, do an engine oil change and she'll be good to go...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 7, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

wow...just wow...congrats on this man! and thank you for the kindness...you know how bad my trans is loool! i'm happy for you though...the beast is finally back on the road! and it's getting warmer so it's perfect timing
Old Apr 7, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

drove the car home this evening.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

nice! how was it? how did the shifts feel? congrats bro!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
drove the car home this evening.
Good deal!!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rzrxn
nice! how was it? how did the shifts feel? congrats bro!
Due to the transmission being driven with no oil in it, there was some wear on the gears, which is causing some gear whine, but mechanically it is smooth, shifts like before, and the clutch is VERY grabby...it doesn't slip at all, even if you rid the pedal...it's on or off, but the sprung hub alleviates a lot of the harsh engagement...i love it.

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Good deal!!
oh yeah...happy to have her back...took a bit to get used to after driving the Mazda 5 for so long.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 8, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
oh yeah...happy to have her back...took a bit to get used to after driving the Mazda 5 for so long.
Im wondering if I should dive right into my turbo build or fix the head, Get used to it, THEN dive into the turbo build. Part of me wants to go ahead and do it while it'll be apart, but the other part wants to drive it NA so I can have a baseline on how the car feels stock... LOL IDK.

But Im sure it felt good to be back in the RA. :3
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

@Garrett: cheeeers man! that's awesome. now she's just about ready for the shootout this year right? i'm definitely planning to go this year and i really hope i get to make it. i was supposed to go last year but things got tight and i wasn't able to make it. i'm happy for you man. your RA is back and ready for some action! now all you need is a gaming rig setup in your RA lmfao! i'm not giving up on that yet...

@Josh: i think you should go right into your turbo build and do as much maintenance as you can on the engine. that would be a pretty awesome project! and plus, Garrett is here to help you if you get into any snags along the way. his turbo build thread is an amazing read. *chanting* DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! looool...