Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

xmaster's PW 04 RA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rzrxn
my release bearing is shot too..my tranny needs a lot of work done..it's just that money is so damn tight right now..school is killing me..osap isn't helping me at all..my courses are so expensive..but i'm really trying to put away funds for a rebuild..little-by-little i should get there soon..

My bearing lasted a whole 2-3 months since the beginning of the noise, I'd say about 5000 kms. The clutch probably could have been saved, but I felt like it would be a good idea to change it while the tranny was off the engine.

This is what the crossmember looked like...

It was almost broken in 2. The effect of the new cross member on the car is truly amazing, the car never felt so tight since I got it.

Originally Posted by taylorwallace9
The car is looking excellent dude! Any other engine/performance mods for the future?
Thanks!! Well my plan is mainly bringing the car back to factory spec or better first, so repairs/maintenance go first. I upgrade as soon as it's possible, but will keep on prioritizing repairs over mods.

On the list is : Steering rack, suspension and bushings, one ABS sensor.

Buuuuut, when that is done, I will start modding the engine, first will be intake mods, Endeavor TB, PnP intake manifold. At this point I would like to get a 2nd engine, tear it apart and slowly fully rebuild it. High compression pistons, stronger rods, 4G63 valvetrain, new seals all around, the whole deal, but N/A if the plan doesn't change by then. I'd like to track the car and would hate to be the slowest :P.

The way I see it, I will keep the car for a very long time. At minimum 5 years, so I have to keep it road worthy!

Last edited by xmaster19; Mar 5, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Thanks!! Well my plan is mainly bringing the car back to factory spec or better first, so repairs/maintenance go first. I upgrade as soon as it's possible, but will keep on prioritizing repairs over mods.

On the list is : Steering rack, suspension and bushings, one ABS sensor.

Buuuuut, when that is done, I will start modding the engine, first will be intake mods, Endeavor TB, PnP intake manifold. At this point I would like to get a 2nd engine, tear it apart and slowly fully rebuild it. High compression pistons, stronger rods, 4G63 valvetrain, new seals all around, the whole deal, but N/A if the plan doesn't change by then. I'd like to track the car and would hate to be the slowest :P.

The way I see it, I will keep the car for a very long time. At minimum 5 years, so I have to keep it road worthy!
Oh yea a reliable ride is key, maybe an RRM turbo kit in the future can't wait to see more progress dude!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylorwallace9
Oh yea a reliable ride is key, maybe an RRM turbo kit in the future can't wait to see more progress dude!
Before investing in a turbo kit, I'd probably be looking at a Eclipse GT front clip. I've always liked raw and mean intake sounds, the harder the better. If I can't achieve what I want with the 4G69, I'll probably be looking at another engine, but this is still very far down the road.

Anyways, who wouldn't want a 260hp(stock 3.8) RA with V6 awesomeness?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
adding quite a bit of weight...turbo would be less weight, and could make as much power....

now if you turbo the v6....now we're talking!

but either way, turbo 4 or v6, you'll be finding ALL of the weaknesses of the draivetrain...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
adding quite a bit of weight...turbo would be less weight, and could make as much power....

now if you turbo the v6....now we're talking!

but either way, turbo 4 or v6, you'll be finding ALL of the weaknesses of the draivetrain...
If I want a turbo 4, I'll get an Evo. Which I will, one day.

Until then, the V6 seems like a relaible way to make power. Like you said, pushing a powertrain over it's designed limits can be troublesome.

The V6 puts out 260hp stock, the 4G69 is far from that number. In my mind, a V6 with headers and a CAI will always be more reliable than a turbocharged 4 (not from factory).

Anyways, by then, I'll probably change my mind about the whole thing 73 985 times. We are talking about 5-10 years down the road, I'm not even sure the car will still exist!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

i'm shooting for 280 on a stock block...290 would be almost a perfect 1hp per 10lbs

that kind of power to weight rivals the camaro SS and mustang GT

i like the idea of maximizing output, engine swaps are cool too, but forced induction is so much easier...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

i'm shooting for 280 on a stock block...290 would be almost a perfect 1hp per 10lbs

that kind of power to weight rivals the camaro SS and mustang GT

i like the idea of maximizing output, engine swaps are cool too, but forced induction is so much easier...
290hp on a 2.4L means about 120hp/liter, which would be really epic.

Go for it, and good luck with your rods :P

In my world, easier usually means less desirable... yeah I'm ****ed up like that.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
now if only someone could make a turbokit for the auto RA :/
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
now if only someone could make a turbokit for the auto RA :/
Piece one yourself.

The engine is the same, the management of the engine is almost the same, the automatic tranny is bigger than the 5 speed so you might have less room to play with. You will also have the trans oil cooler in the way, gotta find a way around this. Electric pusher fans might save some space behind the rad.

T3/T4 turbos are inexpensive and easy to find. The manifold should be the same, unless it angles the turbo towards oil cooler lines. Even if it does, the manifold can be modified by any welder or muffler shop.

Piping is easy to find, you just have to know where to look. Ebay might even do the trick, but don't try to jew it too much on this part, you will regret it.

The ECU part might be trickier, but you could pull it using a piggyback, not the best option but still proved effective on many other cars. Not sure if Hackish has a A/T reflash, you could look into that also.

Can't say I haven't thought about it for myself.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Also, quick google search led to this :

http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/gen...duction-42512/
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
290hp on a 2.4L means about 120hp/liter, which would be really epic.

Go for it, and good luck with your rods :P

In my world, easier usually means less desirable... yeah I'm ****ed up like that.
i wanted more power, but i also wanted to find out what the stock block will handle out of sheer curiosity...at one point i was leaning toward a 63T swap, but then i realised a boosted 69 could possibly make as much power as a stock 63, and the power a highly boosted 63 makes is better off turning 4 wheels....

think a DOHC 4G69 high compression build would be awesome, you should do that one...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

think a DOHC 4G69 high compression build would be awesome, you should do that one...
What are you thinking?? 4G63/64 head with 4G69 block? Or straight 4G64 implant?

This got my interest, I'll try to look into this.

I guess I'll have to find a 4g63/64 head gasket and a 4g69 one also...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

no i was considering a straight up 4G63T MIVEC swap, lol...but then i was looking at the prices of Evo 9 block/heads...and it dawn on me that i could build a turbo kit for much less...

though the 4G63 head on a 4G69 block is quite interesting...it bolts right up, there's no magic...it's the control harness/ECU that's the tricky part, so i would say it's probably easier to put a 4G69 block in an Evo, than to put a 4G63 head in a lancer Ralliart...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, evo9 heads are probably very hard/expensive to come by....

Still worth giving a shot, I believe.

Think of a DOHC Mivec 4G69, that sounds desireable. Drop HCR pistons in there and we have something worth putting together, I guess!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

is that a oem wind deflector on your hood?

Quick Reply: xmaster's PW 04 RA