Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

The Ralliart Fuel Injector upgrade thread.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HondaHunter78
As far as this miguel all tuning bugs with the FI/C have been worked out. The only thing is as you guys already know anything you change in closed loop the factory ecu is gonna over-ride. But from what I now know we have it a lil easier than you guys as we enter open loop at 40% TPS and you guys don't. And we also have Hackish reflash :bigthumb: for the current time though as Canada is a far drive I think the current best situation would be a hackish basic reflash fine tuned with the FI/C for us in the 4g anyways.
Which fic is used on the 4g69 eclipse? 6 or 8?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are using the 6 with a pnp harness made by BrianJ (aka BilletProof Harness)
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Infuriated
People are using the 6 with a pnp harness made by BrianJ (aka BilletProof Harness)
Ok. Does this pnp harness do a special circuit manipulation, or is it just to avoid cutting into the factory ecu harness?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I saw one of his harnesses this past weekend. Very nice in the PnP area since you didn't have to extensively butcher the stock wiring. It included some electronics for the MAF on the eclipse. Not appropriate for the ralliart but still a slick way to do it.

-Michael
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hackish
I saw one of his harnesses this past weekend. Very nice in the PnP area since you didn't have to extensively butcher the stock wiring. It included some electronics for the MAF on the eclipse. Not appropriate for the ralliart but still a slick way to do it.

-Michael
In what way not appropiate? Don't they both use the same MAF? Or does it have to do with the way our ecu manipulates the signal?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

The ECU's signal processing has several measurement modes and you never know what mode it's in. Unless you can exactly emulate the signal output of the MAF it's nearly impossible to emulate or translate that signal. It might run well at a certain RPM/Load but at a higher RPM it might switch measurement modes. I haven't yet been able to understand the logic behind the modes. I think it's to provide greater resolution at cruise and idle then switch when it needs to measure more airflow, such as mivec and open loop operation.

-Michael
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

The ECU's signal processing has several measurement modes and you never know what mode it's in. Unless you can exactly emulate the signal output of the MAF it's nearly impossible to emulate or translate that signal. It might run well at a certain RPM/Load but at a higher RPM it might switch measurement modes. I haven't yet been able to understand the logic behind the modes. I think it's to provide greater resolution at cruise and idle then switch when it needs to measure more airflow, such as mivec and open loop operation.

-Michael
I had to take my wife's ride to a mechanic (friend of mine) today, and I started talking to him about all these issues with the MAF and piggybacks and that sort of thing. He mentioned having seen some guys using MAP ECU2 which emulates the MAF signal and eliminates it physically so that tuning can be done. He told me about tunning fuel and timing, as well as O2 sensors for open loop. Now, the problem in that conversation was pricing... He was offering me the service, but pricing didn't sound that good: $700 alone for the piggyback, and more for tuning, not including dyno.
Isn't that what the reflash will do? Change fuel, timing, etc.? The reflash now sounds like the best option. I sent you a PM...
Thanks again,
Carlos
Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:43 PM

Hey Cyanide just a heads up Brian replied to your post on C4G.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Cyanide just a heads up Brian replied to your post on C4G.
Got it... replied...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:25 PM

As far as 02 Biasing which I believe is what your mechanic was referring to that can be done with the FI/C
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

As far as 02 Biasing which I believe is what your mechanic was referring to that can be done with the FI/C
Yes, I know. I've read all the specs on both FIC's. Right now, I think a reflash is the way to go, until I can get all I need for making that FIC work.
I'm in contact with BrianJ for the harness build, but he needs pics and I can't provide until the next 2 days go by.
If that harness is possible, and the MAF works as it does on the Eclipse, then i see no issue in having the FIC on the RA.
Hackish was telling me about the MAF having different behaviors for different conditions which is what made modifying the signal almost impossible. Let's see what BrianJ comes up with in the next couple of days...
We are WAAYYY out of topic here, aren't we?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 04:05 PM

Alright cool sounds good would like to know if Brian is able to help you guys
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

HondaHunter, it's already a known thing that the F/IC does not work correctly with the ralliart computer. Among other things the trouble is that it stays in closed loop until you're WOT. The eclipse only does until about 40%.

-Michael
OK... From what I've read here, nobody has tried a MAF circuit manipulation for using the FIC, they just bought the FIC 8 by the assumption of a Karmann frequency MAF. It has been confirmed that the RA MAF is the same as the Eclipse's(BrianJ from club 4G and I checked this) and that they have the same circutry inside the ECU(1Kohm to ground). BrianJ said that a PnP for the RA isn't cost effective because of the plugs, but the circuitry should be the same(waiting on the FIC to test).

The FIC has O2 sensor biasing, and it is well explained in the instructions. Eclipse guys don't use this feature, but I'm kind of fuzzy about needing it for the RA. I did some datalogging with my OBDII scanner and plotted it in a graph to make better sense of the data. About the WOT, I never reached 100% throttle as many people mention here it needs for the open loop condition. My max throttle opening was 85%, I imagine because of my surroundings (87F, not raining, very dry), but I don't know about this. Since the scanner can tell the loop condition(open or closed) I datalogged that as well vs the throttle position.

I gave the loop a 0-1 value so that changes can be seen. The graph shows about 260 seconds of testing, but you can see that WOT for the open loop is not what's happening here. Hackish, I read that other sensors like air temp and coolant temp are taken into account as well, so I will do some testing again with these sensors to compare the changes.

My mods are CAI, header with no cat, stock muffler and rrm underdrive pulley. All of this in an '05 RA manual with an '04 RA ECU.

If you have more detailed data for these conditions, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails The Ralliart Fuel Injector upgrade thread.-throttle-vs-loop.jpg  

Last edited by cyanide; Oct 2, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I tried for a few months to get an FIC working. The MAF circuit inside the ECU is different than the eclipse. They have several signal conditioning circuits. One is for low airflows and one is for high airflows. I don't have the schematic in front of me but I seem to remember a third. Each has different signal amplification and this is what makes the system very hard to trick.

You also have a narrow band of adjustment when you go above the stock expectation because the ECU sees the fact you've capped the signal and it tends to throw airflow too high for throttle angle or MAF sensor.

Also, for the O2 sensor manipulation you can't just blindly feed it a signal because the longterm fuel trim will slowly start to skew. Then it exponentially slides in either direction until you start getting system too rich or system too lean. If you look around at turbo kit threads with piggybacks you will see this is a common problem. Car gets tuned perfectly on the dyno, then after 500km it's running massively rich or massively lean.

-Michael
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

I tried for a few months to get an FIC working. The MAF circuit inside the ECU is different than the eclipse. They have several signal conditioning circuits. One is for low airflows and one is for high airflows. I don't have the schematic in front of me but I seem to remember a third. Each has different signal amplification and this is what makes the system very hard to trick.

You also have a narrow band of adjustment when you go above the stock expectation because the ECU sees the fact you've capped the signal and it tends to throw airflow too high for throttle angle or MAF sensor.

Also, for the O2 sensor manipulation you can't just blindly feed it a signal because the longterm fuel trim will slowly start to skew. Then it exponentially slides in either direction until you start getting system too rich or system too lean. If you look around at turbo kit threads with piggybacks you will see this is a common problem. Car gets tuned perfectly on the dyno, then after 500km it's running massively rich or massively lean.

-Michael
About the O2 sensors, another modification on the circuitry is needed, it's not just a tap and change values. How did you try the FIC? What kind of circuitry did you use on the MAF to try and make it work?

Have you read this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...ml#post7544287
This guy managed to do what you say you couldn't, unless you didn't try using the SAFCII, which uses 0-5v signal modification as does the FIC. Did you try this circuit manipulation for any of the piggybacks you tried on the RA? Locally, I spoke with some RA owners from another town and they say that they have this modification using the SAFC with no issues. I don't like the SAFCII because of its limitations, so that's why I'm looking into other options, but the fact is that they have it working, so I don't see why other piggyback models shouldn't. Also, Haltech has the RA 4G69 as one of the compatible models for their interceptor, but I'm not well informed on this unit. You were working on a Haltech Miniceptor... Did it ever work?

LTFT and STFT will change, as you say, because of the conditions we need for open loop and the fact that nobody's at WOT full time. The ECU will still try learning and managing fuel trims based on your driving. Your reflash feature of open loop on full time sounds good, but I don't see the use if you're not able to tune. If I read correctly, all the reflash does, apart from some of your custom features, is maximize set points on sensors so that the ECU allows for some of the mods like intake, header, exhaust, etc., without trimming fuel, but what about AFR's? Will a reflash keep AFRs where you want them, or will they just run where they do normally, without causing fuel trims for the aftermarket mods?

Quick Reply: The Ralliart Fuel Injector upgrade thread.