Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bottom of cooler secured with aluminum strapping, using OEM #4 (on head of bolt) x2 without drilling new holes (use existing holes in cooler and on chassis).

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Splash guards reinstalled, routed oil hoses through existing holes in splash guard, and some modifications (cutting away) required...

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Oil line spliced (output from transmission is driver side hose to radiator (cut this); put brass connector in each end of cut hose; attach one hose from cooler (doesn't matter which) to one brass connector, and the other hose from cooler to the second brass connector, voila! Secured/dressed hoses, front clip reinstalled, electrical attached/checked. Did not have correct ATF fluid so vehicle left in-situ. More pictures to come...

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:03 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice trans cooler, but there are a couple of things I think you should re-do. First the angle of the cooler, it's hardly getting any direct contact with fresh air so the cooling effects won't be much. Second, you should replace those straight brass barb/nipples with son 90 degree ones to help with every inch of bottom clearance. Because if anything tugs on that hose , it will be a bad day for you.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Tidied up a bit with some tie wraps. Thanks for the suggestions and concerns, but I spent a good (3) hours trying to make that thing fit up front but to no avail (I'm not going to share with you how much time I spent on it all in all...omgoodness!) Until further developments this will have to do. Does anybody know what the normal operating temperature is for automatic transmission fluid? I'm going to take some measurements myself at the dipstick and get back to you.

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Lanzer about the placement doesn't seem affective on the side cause the fins need air to flow throw them like a radiator.. I've seen them mounted in front of the a/c condenser.. I don't really like the nipple thing either just cause the fact that automatic transmissions use a hydraulic pressure but looks like everyone is doing it like this.. I like the lip a lot looks very nice I think we need a different rear bumper cause it sits way to high
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Again,, I appreciate the input and you got me thinking now on how to vent that side...I have an idea. I agree, the cooler is just that, a cooler and would be more effective in front, but it isn't. Like I said, many hours were spent disassembling and trying to find a spot, without compromising a future IC. The original Trans cooler that RRM lists for the '04-'06 Lancer is the, "Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Transmission Cooler...9" x 11." This is smaller than the one I installed, and looks like it would fit in an open space against the AC condenser. RRM recommended the 2008-2011 Lancer 2.0L Oversized CVT Transmission Cooler after being informed of my intention to turbocharge my engine...I heeded their advice.

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:08 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

I got an idea you could look into, that doesn't cost very much that will solve your problem with miinimal removal of parts that you have installed. A small fan , you can zip tie it to the cooler and just hook up the switch or have it turn on with the car some links,..

http://m.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-slim-fan-8-inch.html

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-s...or-fan-10.html
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Good to see you're making progress Truth.
After the bumper is installed how much air flow will there be in that location ?
Will you make a few intake holes at the front/side and maybe some at the rear to facilitate air flow ?

If there are spaces now where air is forced in from the motion of the car, then a few holes, they need not be large, to let it out again will help.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

RA,

See the driver side fog light? It's assembly sat right next to the cooler when I put the front clip back on. It was a concern that was short lived. Anyhow, I'm envisioning removing/modifying the plastic cover that the foglight lens butts up against, which would create a naca-like vent that will provide direct airflow on and around the cooler, problem solved...I think. No need for rear airflow, for its intended location up front receives direct air contact, period.

Oh, I was looking at the photos above again and I realized I have about an inch of room on one side to raise the cooler a bit providing more clearance for the hoses below.

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, sounds good.
Remember though, if a little is good, more must be better
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
do what i did, just take the fog light bezels out
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Smart minds think alike Garett? I took it a step further:

Spent (30) minutes labouring away with this small hacksaw blade...

Amazing how much you can do in just two minutes with the right tools:

That's a side view of the cooler...better than nothing:

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

...and after I finished that, as mentioned earlier, I went ahead and raised the cooler another inch. Here's a contrast, before and after:

Before:

After:

The straight in/out brass fittings were probably chosen specifically for the application for which it was intended (front mount). In my case, yes, an elbow would enable me to keep the hosing up above the splash guards, hence keeping me out of trouble. I'll look for them soon, thanks.

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build