Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kayouu
Im going to pull out my a/c so ill have one. Ill pm you.
I ended up piecing together my own hose using, again, the OEM fittings, for $31. Thanks though for the offer! While reinstalling it back in my garage, I noticed that the hose sits < 2" from my down-pipe, so I'm suspecting that the heat caused the crimp shell to fail. I've ordered some aluminized heat sheathing to cover the entire hose so, we'll see if this solves the problem.

Last edited by truthdweller; Apr 25, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Got a different (D.I.Y.) set of extensions on:

Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
Got a different (D.I.Y.) set of extensions on:
Details?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
Details?

Home Depot:

4" x 1/2" x 8' Base Board Molding x 2 - Plastic (not wood) Laminate
$5 ea. = $10

Rubber Hole Grommet x 4 (used as a spacer)
.78 ea = $3.16

Stainless Screws (to replace zinc coated screws that come with anchors)
$3.67

Plastic Anchors
$7.53

Black Vinyl, 6" x 12' (2 rolls)
$20 ea. = $40

If I do it again, I'd just paint the extension instead of the vinyl, for it just adds another factor that can go wrong/come apart and it's not cheap. As far as the spacers go, I'm not convinced that that is the best aesthetic solution, but because of the arch in the middle of the sideskirt, you need something there to keep the extension flat, and it works because it is compressable, thus adjustable. There is 3M two sided tape at each end where the extension makes contact with the sideskirt.

Last edited by truthdweller; Apr 29, 2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

You know, as I sit here looking at my own photos, I just thought of an alternative to those spacers that I think will work even better. A roll of black rubber weather stripping that can be layed in the length of that space and because of it also being rubber, it will also be compressible to keep the extension level. I should be able to squeeze that in there because I don't have any tape in that section. The weather stripping has adhesive already on it so that, and the screws going through it, should secure it well enough. If I do it, I'll post it up!

Last edited by truthdweller; Apr 29, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

There are a few types but here's one that looks like it may work:

Old Apr 30, 2015, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

There are a few types but here's one that looks like it may work:

Nah, didn't find anything that would quite work yet. Shooting a bead of some kind of filler/caulking/silicone was also suggested, but I'm still not quite sold as to what the best solution is. I'll leave it as is until further notice. Any suggestions?

Last edited by truthdweller; May 1, 2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nah, didn't find anything that would quite work yet. Shooting a bead of some kind of filler/caulking/silicone was also suggested, but I'm still not quite sold as to what the best solution is. I'll leave it as is until further notice. Any suggestions?
there is filler tape made out of rubber. Ive seen them on ebay. People adher it to areas where their are gaps.
And by the way, i purchased the side extensions you referred me too. They dont exactly fit, and require modification. And in my opinion are really thick. I jumped on the button and purchased the ones you referred, but unfortunately since then have found better fitting/ slimmer ones.
Not the end of the world, aftermarket parts for our ride always require modding, pretty used to it.
Ima open up a thread as soon as i put em on. Been doing some test fitting, but ill have em on by next weekend. Keep you updated
Old May 3, 2015, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliZen
there is filler tape made out of rubber. Ive seen them on ebay. People adher it to areas where their are gaps.
And by the way, i purchased the side extensions you referred me too. They dont exactly fit, and require modification. And in my opinion are really thick. I jumped on the button and purchased the ones you referred, but unfortunately since then have found better fitting/ slimmer ones.

I'll try to find that "filler tape" unless you have a link...

Huh, unless I referred you to the wrong item, mine were pretty much a direct fit. I had to adjust the location of the mounting, self tapping screws a few times, but otherwise they fit fine.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: I found the "filler tape"...http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-FRONT-REAR-LIP-SPOILER-SIDE-SKRIT-MOLDING-GAP-FILLER-1cm-TAPES-BLACK-/151506190575?hash=item23467900ef&vxp=mtr...This still makes me think that there is a tape like this at Home Depot. I'll have to take another trip over there.
Old May 4, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I had a transient event happen last night...

As I was pulling away from a stoplight with the transmission in 1st gear, I manually pushed the stick into 2nd, but didn't feel the normal manual "shift" into 2nd, but rather an automatic shift at the predetermined time, and the same response when I pushed into 3rd. I knew something was wrong so I pushed into nuetral, then back into Drive, but when doing so, it felt "stuck" in neutral and responded with a sudden CLUNK into gear when I applied more effort. I continued downshifting but the tranny didn't respond and stayed in Drive so I pulled into a parking lot, stopped, and shut the car down. I started the car, dropped it down to 1st, and pulled back onto the street, when/where everything returned to normal with shifting manually. It hasn't repeated itself yet, but now, of course, I'm concerned. Any ideas?

Last edited by truthdweller; May 4, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 5, 2015, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Condition of my new plugs today after the April 15 NJMP session. I could swear I took (4) pictures but obviously not:

#1 Cylinder

#3 Cylinder

#4 Cylinder

Last edited by truthdweller; May 5, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 6, 2015, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
they look fine
Old May 10, 2015, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

May 13th right around the corner: http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/p...the-best-night
Old May 11, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

"Vision to Fruition"

"It was around Christmas of 2004 when my new wife and I were experiencing some financial difficulties and couldn't qualify to renew the lease on her Lexus IS300. We ended up in the Mitsubishi lot in Bakersfield, CA looking at, what would turn out to be, the original Lancer Sportback Ralliart. It looked to be more of a wagon, and was a far cry from being in the same league as the Lexus but, nonetheless, it got my attention and we ended up driving off the lot with it.

Nine years later, after a tour to Iraq, having a new child three thousand miles away in New Jersey, and a return to California for four years and back to New Jersey in 2012, I was introduced to the automotive world of mods, tunes, boost, and racing. Now you have to understand that I had been a Paramedic in the Emergency Medical Services for the past fifteen years and put people back together, not cars! But it wasn't long before I took on the project of turbocharging my automatic, FWD Lancer Sportback Ralliart with 135,000 miles on it! My vision was to one day experience, not only "boost," but also a full length road race course.

I finished my turbo build on July 25, 2013 and after a "maiden voyage" from Atlantic City, NJ to San Diego, CA and back, on my new turbocharger, I discovered the Sports Car Club of America and autocross racing at Bader Field in AC, NJ. Albeit a "kick in the pants" that it was, I still had that strong desire to experience the "real thing" out at NJMP in Millville, NJ. I'd be lying if I said that the money wasn't holding me back from committing, but after nearly a year of making excuses, an email that I received from the SCCA changed ALL of that:

"Track Night in America driven by Tire Rack with partial support from the FIA Sport Grant Programme is “The Fastest Way to Get on Track” for any automotive enthusiast. No previous on-track experience needed. Only things required are a street car in good condition, a driver’s license and a helmet," was what the email said, with a price ticket of only $150 to boot (http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/a...to-track-night)! On April 15, 2015 my "vision" finally came to fruition...praise God!

Here I am on the Thunderbolt track where we pushed our daily drivers during three twenty minute sessions and reached speeds up to 110 mph (photo courtesy of Dave Back):

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build