Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i started to cut mine similar to that, but my intercooler piping wouldn't clear the side walls that you left there, so i said screw it and just never put them back in...the shiny aluminum steers the eyes away from the bare fog light bracket
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Btw, those brass fittings fit HORRIBLE in the aluminum cooler! That's as far as I was able to seat them (half way), and that took some serious effort (lubrication and elbow grease)! Initially, I got one of them stuck, and in, eventually, backing it out, stripped the cooler threads and embedded aluminum in the brass threads. All this before even beginning the install! Word to the wise, use lubrication and if the fitting gets snug, STOP, and carefully back it out. Clean shavings off of fitting, and out of cooler; repeat step one, two...one, two...one two, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah that's just how thy fit even AN fittings fit only about half the threads from what I remember about my b&m oil cooler.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

are they NPT fittings? cause the t stands for taper, a tapered thread will never go all the way it...AN fittings are the same way usually as lanzer said, but rely on compression to make a pressure seal...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Very neat job on the fog light bezels. I like it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

For us "newbs," instructions would have been nice. Then again, most new items come with insrtructions, no? I was on the phone/email prn (as needed) and asked (after the fact) about the tight/partial fitting and was told that that was normal and to use some Teflon tape (I didnt, and no leaks). Nothing was mentioned about NPT/AN fittings, which would have explained everything. Thanks for the OJT Crans...

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 27, 2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: changed "OTJ" to "OJT"
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Garrett,

After the mod, I added one quart of AT fluid which put it within the "cold" marks on the dipstick. I checked tonight after driving and it was a bit above the the top hot mark...any concerns there / adlverse behavior from the tranny from being too full? Going to Google it now...

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

if it's only a bit over, i wouldn't worry about it, though my expertise is not automatic transmissions...i overfill my manual transmissions slightly...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

The main risk is the heated oil sitting touching parts that it normally wouldn't with less fluid. Most of the time a little over won't hurt anything. Maybe in the long run but there's really no way to prove it ,because of the time that would be needed for something to break.

I still think you should put a fan on that cooler, it's just not getting any of the airflow it was designed for.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally would put the trans fluid down a bit. Isnt the auto trans a hydraulic type so over full will cause extra stress. The pressurization would be higher causing extra stress when engaging gears. Or am I just crazy....
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i started to cut mine similar to that, but my intercooler piping wouldn't clear the side walls that you left there, so i said screw it and just never put them back in...the shiny aluminum steers the eyes away from the bare fog light bracket
Your IC piping didn't clear the back of the plastic bezel but cleared the metal foglight bracket?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Figure 21 Transmission temperature indications.

How the automatic transmission works See Figures 1, 2 and 3

The automatic transmission allows engine torque and power to be transmitted to the drive wheels within a narrow range of engine operating speeds. The transmission will allow the engine to turn fast enough to produce plenty of power and torque at very low speeds, while keeping it at a sensible rpm at high vehicle speeds.

The transmission uses a light fluid as the medium for the transmission of power. This fluid also operates the hydraulic control circuits and acts as a lubricant. Because the transmission fluid performs all of these three functions, trouble within the unit can easily travel from one part to another.

The automatic transmission operates on a principle that fluids cannot be compressed, and that when put into motion, will cause a similar reaction upon any resisting force. To understand this law of fluids, think of two fans placed opposite each other. If one fan is turned on, it will begin to turn the opposite fan blades. This principle is applied to the operation of the fluid coupling and torque converter by using driving and driven members in place of fan blades.

Every type of automatic transmission has two sections. The front section contains the fluid coupling or torque converter and takes the place of the driver operated clutch. The rear section contains the valve body and the hydraulically controlled gear units, which take the place of the manually shifted standard transmission.

Electronic transmission controls See Figure 4

Numerous changes have occurred in transaxles and transmissions in the last decade. The demand for lighter, smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles has resulted in the use of electronics to control both the engine and transmission to achieve the fuel efficient results that are required by law. The transaxle/transmission assembly is a part of the electronic controls, by sending signals of vehicle speed to an on-board computer which, in turn, relates these signals, along with others from the engine assembly, to determine gear selection for the best performance.

Sensors are used for engine and road speeds, engine load, gear selector lever position, and the kickdown switch operation. In addition, the driving program, set by the factory, is used to send signals to the microcomputer to determine the optimum gear selection, according to a preset program. The shifting is accomplished by solenoid valves in the hydraulic system. The electronics also control the modulated hydraulic pressure during shifting, along with regulating engine torque to provide smooth shifts between gear ratio changes. This type of system can be designed for different driving programs, such as giving the operator the choice of operating the vehicle for either economy or performance.

The transmission's sensors also let the operator of the vehicle know if there are any problems with the system. If the transmission control computer detects a problem it will store a trouble code in memory and it will light or flash a transmission warning lamp (or engine service light) on the dash to alert the operator something is wrong. Using the proper scan tools or techniques, a technician can retrieve the code (depending on the manufacturer) in order to help diagnose the trouble. To get a better understanding of engine and transmission trouble codes, see a repair manual for your year/make/model car.

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Your IC piping didn't clear the back of the plastic bezel but cleared the metal foglight bracket?
that's correct, i also had to trim a bit of the bumper, those pillars that support the gap, are different between 04-05 and 06...the 06 pillars are bland and vertical, the 04-05 have a more agressive look, because they also don't have that horizontal piece stretching the span of the "mouth" of the bumper...I would like an 04-05 bumper with an 06 grille...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 29, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
that's correct

Ok, i can picture it now...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

My cooler is going to be in the way then i take it...

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build