Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Old Oct 22, 2016, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
looks great Gary, been wanting to go 2.5" cat-back for a while now...not stainless though, cause I'm cheap...but I think I'll fab something up.
Speaking of "cheap," I found the Vibrant 180 U/L mandrel bent tubing, that I used for that "S" section pictured, for HALF what it's listed for at the local speed shop here in town. It sells for $65 USD and Amazon had it for $32! The deals are out there! Granted it cost significantly more after purchasing the O2 bungs, the flanges, the gaskets, the mounting hardware, and paying for the labor to fab and weld it, but it saved me something.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
Speaking of "cheap," I found the Vibrant 180 U/L mandrel bent tubing, that I used for that "S" section pictured, for HALF what it's listed for at the local speed shop here in town. It sells for $65 USD and Amazon had it for $32! The deals are out there! Granted it cost significantly more after purchasing the O2 bungs, the flanges, the gaskets, the mounting hardware, and paying for the labor to fab and weld it, but it saved me something.
I don't have the supplies right now to weld stainless, I'm currently only set up for mild/carbon steel, but that may change in the future, as well I'm looking to get setup for welding aluminum...I'm thinking of fabricating some stuff for myself and maybe do some copy runs to sell and offset the cost of procuring the necessary gases and supplies. Maybe even full turbo kits...everyone who's done it seems to fall off the map shortly after.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I don't have the supplies right now to weld stainless, I'm currently only set up for mild/carbon steel, but that may change in the future, as well I'm looking to get setup for welding aluminum...I'm thinking of fabricating some stuff for myself and maybe do some copy runs to sell and offset the cost of procuring the necessary gases and supplies. Maybe even full turbo kits...everyone who's done it seems to fall off the map shortly after.
I would buy a Cranswick turbo kit!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
I would buy a Cranswick turbo kit!
Lol, i'm getting better at welding, but i'm no expert, I think I could do a pretty good job. I would just like to see it done more, as turbocharging an older platform like this is cost prohibitive when the only turbo kit on the market costs as much or more than the car itself......I would be looking to build a simple cost-effective kit, that works. Don't expect anything like a toxic fab build, lol...the only issue is deciding what type of turbo to use...i'm not a big fan of the DSM turbos, only in the way that the compressor outlet is at the top of the engine, you can turn it around, but then you have to use an external wastegate and that further increases the complexity of the manifold and downpipe.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Gary.
The following 2 users liked this post by CrAnSwIcK:
Resurrected RA (Oct 31, 2016), truthdweller (Oct 24, 2016)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to try using Fastworks on a friends Crome Notebook:

"But, now that Chromebooks are gaining an Android compatibility system, it's possible to install CrossOver for Android on a Chromebook and use it to run Windows software. ... When it is, CrossOver will be there with a way to run Windows software directly on Chrome "OS.Jul 21, 2016

I'll let you all know how that goes.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to try using Fastworks on a friends Crome Notebook:

"But, now that Chromebooks are gaining an Android compatibility system, it's possible to install CrossOver for Android on a Chromebook and use it to run Windows software. ... When it is, CrossOver will be there with a way to run Windows software directly on Chrome "OS.Jul 21, 2016

I'll let you all know how that goes.
man, that would be cool, especially since my zenfone 2 has USB OTG support...There would likely be driver issues with the tactrix...but it would be wicked to at least datalog on my phone...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to try using Fastworks on a friends Crome Notebook:..I'll let you all know how that goes.
Well, the app is still in beta testing and requires you to "jailbreak" the notebook into developer mode, so I did by following very clear instructions. But, of course, nothing is that easy, and I got shut down at the very end when an option that was posted, wasn't available on my end... Oh well, at least I was able to get the notebook back to its owner in it's original state!

The app is supposed to be available for direct download for Chrome OS in early 2017!

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 26, 2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Got this from Whiteline yesterday:

Hey Gary, your new bushings left today via FedEx --
Tracking #: 700538850621

Been communicating with Whiteline and after looking at their bushing sizing chart (below), I hope I've found a match. The dimensions for my inner bushing, for the rear lower control arm are ~, OD = 35.50 mm x ID = 19mm x L = 50.8 mm. A Whiteline USA distributor will be sending the bushings (W62535) FOC, Free Of Charge, by the end of the month:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...es&catsize=yes

Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Got this from Whiteline yesterday:

Hey Gary, your new bushings left today via FedEx --
Tracking #: 700538850621

This just in:

Old Nov 3, 2016, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Also, trying to get this right again...which I'm much happier with the results this time. Again, shortening the WG lever is required for my application to clear the engine block. Here's the T3/T4, (5) Bolt, 2.5" V-band Flange, Cast Iron WG Housing:

Original - note the WG lever on the left and its orientation...

After: note the lever is much closer to the cast housing, has been rotated 90° (facing the camera), and the actuator arm attachment nipple has been shortened as well.

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 3, 2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

I did a thing...can u tell what it is?

Before:

After:

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 4, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

The above pics were before I laid a file on the rough edges, for I was racing the sunlight before it went down to take these photos, lol! There's still more finishing to do, but it's coming out pretty nice. After masking off the line, straight tin snips on the trim did the job fairly easily. The bumper behind it was a bit tough, especially since I did it with the bumper still on the car!

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 5, 2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks great! I always thought about doing that but never went through with it.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

I had something happen for the first time today...

While boosting WOT on the highway, going about 65 mph, the transmission appeared to slip out of gear and I watched the tach scream to 8000 rpms! I released the throttle immediately and continued uneventfully. I HAVE been noticing some clunking into gear on the surface streets with my normal manual shifting. I have not checked the AT fluid but changed it back in August and have no leaks.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Looks great! I always thought about doing that but never went through with it.
Somewhere on here, somebody posted a sedan that had this done....OH, I think I remember, it was on FB! Somebody was asking the recurring question regarding whether or not the sedans bumper fit the Sportback, and in the process of looking at the photos he posted, I noticed the peculiar design to the bottom of the bumper. Then after going out to my garage and comparing it to my bumper, I saw the shadow of the raised line separating the top of the ground effect from the bottom. That's when I said to myself, "I can do that with a pair of tin snips!"

I did it yesterday after 1.5 hrs...my fingers are sore today, lol!

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 5, 2016 at 09:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build