Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
a 3" intercooler would sit a little over an inch lower, and the core would not be centered in the bumper opening...

Ok, you lost me there...

Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Garrett, look at post #133 on page 9:

...or better yet, post number 137...

Is the IC being mounted on the back of the crash bumper in front of the radiator?

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
a 2.5" intercooler will fit just under the crash bar, it will actually fit perfectly behind the weld lip on the crash bar and in front rad...

Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ruh roh, I think I now know why H = 6.25 is so specific in this case...i ordered 7"...yikes!

After looking at your and my pictures above, I think I'm still gonna be okay for my crash bar does not have a bracket underneath like yours does to mount the bottom of the IC. The IC I ordered also has 3 mounting bungs welded on to it which I will mount the top under the crashbar and, if needed, I'll use a strap or bracket to support the bottom like I did the transmission cooler. We'll see soon, it's on its way from CA.

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 2, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

in the picture i posted you can see, i used i believe 120mm bolts, with whatever thread pitch/spacing the bung is. with a few washers i was able to snug the intercooler perfectly behind that lip on the crash bar. it doesn't move and in my opinion should require no furthur support. what it's bolted to is part of the chassis, it won't go anywhere, and even if it did, your piping will hold it in place, you would notice the failure if it occurred.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Ruh roh, I think I now know why H = 6.25 is so specific in this case...i ordered 7"...yikes!

After looking at your and my pictures above, I think I'm still gonna be okay for my crash bar does not have a bracket underneath like yours does to mount the bottom of the IC. The IC I ordered also has 3 mounting bungs welded on to it which I will mount the top under the crashbar and, if needed, I'll use a strap or bracket to support the bottom like I did the transmission cooler. We'll see soon, it's on its way from CA.

I need to stop trying to speculate without getting in there and actually doing it, lol! One problem I DID encounter when trying to mount the trans cooler in the similar spot was those black "roller" looking contraptions mounted below the radiator. Mitsubishi was finally able to tell me that they are "balances" for weight distribution in the engineering of "sports cars (they weigh about (15) lbs a piece)." I decided NOT to remove them because of this, although they MIGHT get in the way when trying to install the IC in the same place. Again, we'll see...

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

you need to remove those the mount a front mount intercooler of any significant size...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:34 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They aren't needed I've had mine off and lost for 7 years.......
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you need to remove those the mount a front mount intercooler of any significant size...
When I learned the purpose for the weights I figured that some bit of engineering time was put into their form and function and decided that they were of more importance than my transmission cooler so I left them alone. But now that I'm not the only one to have encountered them, I'll take that into consideration. I'm foreseeing, with the addition of a turbocharger, significantly more than 30 - 40 pounds is going to be added to the front end weight, and will change the 1.63:1 front to back ratio that it's built with anyhow, so I'll deal with that later.

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 4, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

WTB an AFR guage, new/used < $100... anyone?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

When I learned the purpose for the weights I figured that some bit of engineering time was put into their form and function and decided that they were of more importance than my transmission cooler so I left them alone. But now that I'm not the only one to have encountered them, I'll take that into consideration. I'm foreseeing, with the addition of a turbocharger, significantly more than 30 - 40 pounds is going to be added to the front end weight, and will change the 1.63:1 front to back ratio that it's built with anyhow, so I'll deal with that later.
Put the battery in the trunk and or later down the road get your car corner balanced but it's really not needed unless you track it.

WTB an AFR guage, new/used < $100... anyone?
Make a thread in the for sale sections
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Put the battery in the trunk and or later down the road get your car corner balanced but it's really not needed unless you track it.
Bingo, the whole reason for doing what I'm doing to the vehicle, to "track it."

Make a thread in the for sale sections
I started here, then went to the "sale sections" and found many, many, threads on the same...no need to start another.

Before posting a question, please conduct a search for an answer and check our FAQ forum.

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 5, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great !
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:51 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Bingo, the whole reason for doing what I'm doing to the vehicle, to "track it."

I started here, then went to the "sale sections" and found many, many, threads on the same...no need to start another.
Wow really, your making your wagon a track car?I would be looking for coil overs, and every single suspension part available. Then go to get some interior cag made, because I'm sure the wagon has enough power to loose control , maybe even flip now. I'd work on preventing that, have you gone to some road courses? And what kind of "track car" are you building strip, autox, road course ? Have you looked up what you can and can't do for whatever particular class you plan to enter? There's nothing fun about h
aving to remove a modification because you don't qualify with it installed

As for making a for sale thread , I'm not sure if I understand your statement. If there are already wtb threads for a wideband that's fine and well but none of those people are going to contact you if they have one for sale. That's why you should make your own wtb thread or even just do a searches in the for sale sections. A wideband will work for all cars so you don't have to go just to the lancet for sale section, they can be found in any for sale section.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sssshhhhh don't let him know that I'm looking for some gauges! I bought a digital aem wideband for 150 you can find some non digital for 120-130 I don't think I've seen them go for 100

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build