Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
T04 relates to the compressor side (cold side) of the turbo, the lettering could relate to compressor A/R or size/design of the compressor wheel or something, the hotside or turbine housing is that of a T3, all T3 5-bolts should fit that downpipe...

as far as a downpipe without the "j-pipe" for the external wastegate, the downpipe would have to be significantly modified, because if you used a 5 bolt T3 internal wastegate adapter, it would change the dimensions of the downpipe...that is if you intended on using that particular downpipe.
I believe it's the "B" and "E" after the T04, for I've seen this letter option refer to the 4 - 5 bolt flange pattern before, respectively, I could be wrong.

Anyhow, back up a sec...no, I won't be using that downpipe, I'll have to have a downpipe fabbed. I was just wanting to confirm that the downpipe attaches to the five bolt pattern on the hot side of the turbo. The link I posted gives you the option to purchase the turbo with an internal wastegate, for $50 extra, is this, more than likely, the "wastegate adapter" that you're referring to? You posted the adapter in an earlier thread, so I'm familiar.

I'm wrong about the "b/e" nomenclature...

I found this which is more in line with you Garrett:

"Difference between T04 "B" vs. "E"

Can someone please tell me what the heck is the difference between a TO4B and a TO4E?

I'm looking at two turbos and one is a B and the other an E. The B is an H trim rated for 53lb/min and the TO4E is a 57 trim rated at 53lb/min.

Are these turbos equivalent,or am I missing something in the way letters are arbitrarily used to describe turbos.

Re: Difference between T04 "B" vs. "E"

Nevermind... I've found what I needed to know elsewhere.

"E" is generally a larger housing than a "B" but the "B" will push more air than an "E" with the same wheel.

A 57 trim "E" will only flow 43 lb/min not 53 lbm/min"

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

...then again:

T04b on the left, T04e on the right....

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Anyhoooo....
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the internal wastegate would likely be an adapter, yes...and you need to be very careful, and you'll want a manifold and turbo BEFORE you decide to go internal or external wastegate or you may run into fitment issues, and the wastegate is the probably the most important part of the setup. I designed my manifold specifically for an internal wastegate and OEM O2 housing...everything from the spacing, length and compound angles of the flange was decided based on the internal wastegate and actuator fitment...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

the internal wastegate would likely be an adapter, yes...and you need to be very careful, and you'll want a manifold and turbo BEFORE you decide to go internal or external wastegate or you may run into fitment issues, and the wastegate is the probably the most important part of the setup. I designed my manifold specifically for an internal wastegate and OEM O2 housing...everything from the spacing, length and compound angles of the flange was decided based on the internal wastegate and actuator fitment...
Ok, I called LTP Turbo and asked that they send me some pics with the WG installed:

He mentioned the "clocking" of the turbo being limited with the WG adapter installed...I think I understand this in that there isn't as much range in adjusting/turning (clocking) the housings because the threaded wastegate arm coming off the actuator has to stay in line with the swing valve assembly. Am I close?

This video does a pretty good job in explaining the "clocking" procedure and the importance of the location of the oil return:

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hackish's manifold again:

Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

So, as long as the actuator and arm clears the manifold?

Also, I know photos don't always do justice but, the hotside on that turbo now looks like it takes something different than a five bolt flange...???

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

again the T04 E or B is to do with the compressor side, the differences in outlet bolt pattern between the turbine housings depend on it alone, for example, a T3/T04 is a T4 compressor with a T3 turbine, it's a hybrid...where as a standard T3 is a T3 turbine with a T3 compressor, which is a smaller compressor than the T4. some T3 turbing housings even use a v-band outlet, it's important to remember that the 4 bolt outlet, as well as the v-band have no provision of using an internal wastegate.

as far as clocking goes, you can not clock the compressor of an internally gated turbo, and obviously the oil scavenge would face downward...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

again the T04 E or B is to do with the compressor side, the differences in outlet bolt pattern between the turbine housings depend on it alone, for example, a T3/T04 is a T4 compressor with a T3 turbine, it's a hybrid...where as a standard T3 is a T3 turbine with a T3 compressor, which is a smaller compressor than the T4. some T3 turbing housings even use a v-band outlet, it's important to remember that the 4 bolt outlet, as well as the v-band have no provision of using an internal warfare.

as far as clocking goes, you can not clock the compressor of an internally gated turbo, and obviously the oil scavenge would face downward...

It's only obvious to those that already know...

So I take it that the exhaust (turbine) housing cannot be clocked either then with an internal WG?

Expain a "V - Band"....

Last edited by truthdweller; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
It's only obvious to those that already know...

So I take it that the exhaust (turbine) housing cannot be clocked either then with an internal WG?

Expain a "V - Band"....
oil scavenge faces downward, because it relies on gravity to return the oil to the oil pan.

you wouldn't "clock" the turbine housing because it only goes on one way, and that depends on the turbo manifold...for example some people run top mount setups where the turbo bolts on above the turbo manifold, rather than below, in this case you would essentially be clocking the center section, so the oil return (scavenge) is facing down, because a top mount setup would basically have the turbo mounted upside down. if using an internal wastegate you would then have to orient the compressor housing in relation to the turbine housing so that the actuator arm is correctly aligned...the advantage of an external wastegate is that you can clock the compressor in any direction so the outlet faces which ever direction you need it to....

A v-band connection, is two round flanges held together by a v-band clamp, very common in aircraft bleed air and air conditioning systems, now quite popular for automotive applications, basically the joint can be rotated 360 degrees freely until the clamp is tightened...some prefer the v-band outlet as you can "clock" the dowpipe, to make it point in any direction. this convenience is offset by the fact that if you're running a v-band outlet, you're running an external wategate, so you either have to fabricate a complex downpipe, or dump the wastegate to atmosphere which is not only illegal in most places, but is loud as hell, and isn't good for the birds and the bees...i've seen a lot of guys use flexible steel piping for external wastegates to bypass the turbine, so your downpipe can still be simple, but it doesn't look as clean.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

intercooler is in:

Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

it's 2.5" looks identical to mine...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep going Truth.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

oh yeah, and that T3 hotside with the internal wastegate has a v-band outlet
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah, and that T3 hotside with the internal wastegate has a v-band outlet

Funny you'd catch that Garrett, for I called the turbo company shortly after you explained what a V-band connector was and asked them if that's what I was seeing in the photo, and he confirmed that it was. The guy was a wealth of information, at least for me he was.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build