Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
Installlation of the intake pipe will determine what room is available.

Hackish just told me that the pipe may arrive on Monday...I'm excited!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Just bought the Boost gauge for $140 shipped:

Still looking for a good deal on a GOOD turbo timer...anyone help me out?

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 7, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you didn't boost hard before parking it is not really necessary but if you really want one.
Apexi Apexi
say's it's universal. I have never had a turbo car so I wouldn't know if this is a good product but its 47 bucks
Old Jul 8, 2013, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby_Evo
As long as you didn't boost hard before parking it is not really necessary but if you really want one. Apexi say's it's universal. I have never had a turbo car so I wouldn't know if this is a good product but its 47 bucks
this...

don't drive it hard and then immediately park and turn the engine off, even with a water cooled turbo like mine, i let the engine idle for a minute before turning the engine off, if you drive like a civilized person on your way to the grocery store or whatever, you can just switch it off...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
this...

don't drive it hard and then immediately park and turn the engine off, even with a water cooled turbo like mine, i let the engine idle for a minute before turning the engine off, if you drive like a civilized person on your way to the grocery store or whatever, you can just switch it off...
Ummm..." driving civilized" and "turbo" is a contradiction, isn't it? Seriously, are you saying turbo timers are overrated?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think he means overrated just not needed.. There are tons of cars turbocharged and advertised for older generations who drive civilized.. I always thought the turbo timers where cool but after thinking about it the car is running with you away from the car what if for example you have a leak but don't notice when you hop out and go wherever your going and the car kills itself Because its not going to know its overheating or leaking.. Maybe there are some sophisticated systems that do detect it and I'm just talking out my ****
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

" Ummm..." driving civilized" and "turbo" is a contradiction, isn't it"...was more rhetoric than anything...

My thought (which ain't worth much) is along the lines of their original intentions, and that is to prolong the life of the turbo center cartridge by allowing the oil to cool down and circulate through that small compartment of the turbo, which contains small, high tolerance parts and seals which seem to be the most common point of turbo wear and tear and failures. Oil gets hot, even with normal driving, and when it stops circulating, at temperature, on small, high tolerance moving parts, the hot residual oil thickens and sludges, which will, over time, causes failure. If it is allowed to cool and circulate, this prolongs it's longevity, similar to our own pump, the heart. Instead of oil, we have a viscous fluid called blood, which, if renewed/changed and circulated properly, through proper diet and exercise (accompanied with a "cool down" period), it will prolong our life. If allowed to thicken/sludge by improper care, the engine fails, specifically the coronary arteries (small, high tolerance parts), which spasm/clog thus causing an myocardial infarction (MI), a heart attack.

Yes, allowing your car to idle after driving accomplishes the same thing, but timers are added for convenience as well. Did I just convince myself? Probably not...

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
-_-
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Isnt your turbo water cooled as well. Besides, who cooks their turbo just before a stop? Only scenario I can imagine is if you're late as hell for the airport.

Edit: and if whomever is worried about oil sludging switch to synthetic. Synthetic doesn't sludge, it ashes and besides if you're turboed imo you should go synthetic anyway.

Last edited by Green_Bandit; Jul 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Isnt your turbo water cooled as well. Besides, who cooks their turbo just before a stop? Only scenario I can imagine is if you're late as hell for the airport.

Edit: and if whomever is worried about oil sludging switch to synthetic. Synthetic doesn't sludge, it ashes and besides if you're turboed imo you should go synthetic anyway.

Nope, not water cooled...and, yep, synthetic. Didn't know about "ashes." Good info...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ooh, not water cooled?... Welp.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

From an un-named reliable source:

"I always drive my car slowly into my neighbourhood. This is sufficient to cool the turbo down even if I have driven the car hard immediately before. I do not have a turbo timer on any of my cars and have never cooked my bearings."

More gifts arrived today therefore more progress at the shop:

Lastly, showing that the intake pipe slides easily under the transmission lines and over the lower radiator hose:

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 8, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Question: Does the oil feed flange have to be directly on top of the turbo @ 12 o'clock? For one of the allen wrench bolts on the oil feed flange hides underneath the bottom turbo manifold flange, and I cannot access it if I need to. To remedy this I can clock the feed flange at 1 o'clock , which puts the oil return flange @7 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock. Will this hinder proper oil return?

Hackish: "For the turbo, 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock are acceptable. When I installed these things I used a different sort of supply connection so it was never an issue. Sometimes ball end allen keys can be your friend."

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 9, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Downpipe and actuator off to ceramic coat today.

Package Progress

Joplin, MO, US 07/09/2013 5:32 A.M. Out For Delivery
Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
How long will it take for the ceramic coating?

I getting excited for you to finally piece it all together! ITS SO CLOSE!!! :P

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build