Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
what about an Evo X MAF...
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Fastworks doesnt let you scale the MAF? Does it let you scale the MAP sensor? I seem to remember Brent having a similar problem with his turbo RA. But when we were messing with the other method, and using ECUflash. He was able to properly scale the voltage on his MAF and it solved the problem.

Either way, if you can go speed density I would go that route. I would hit up Full-Speed Technologies, Tune Time Performance, or if they arent too far away Xenocron, or Street Tuned Motorsports. I would personally try to go to Street Tuned.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Fastworks doesnt let you scale the MAF? Does it let you scale the MAP sensor? I seem to remember Brent having a similar problem with his turbo RA. But when we were messing with the other method, and using ECUflash. He was able to properly scale the voltage on his MAF and it solved the problem.

Either way, if you can go speed density I would go that route. I would hit up Full-Speed Technologies, Tune Time Performance, or if they arent too far away Xenocron, or Street Tuned Motorsports. I would personally try to go to Street Tuned.
I'm not speaking for Michael, but there's two ways you can interpret what he said. The first is how I originally interpreted it, and how you, Josh, are interpreting it as well, and that is, "No, unfortunately" there is no way Mike can scale the MAF with his software. The other is, "No, unfortunately" I can't scale the MAF without it messing with the tune, which IS the original question.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
what about an Evo X MAF...
Garrett, the Evo X uses the same MAF as we do #MR985187. I ran this by Michael, asking if the MAF could by scaled to handle more airflow and his response was, "The maf is limited to 5v. The difference with the evo is the maf housing then."
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Garrett, the Evo X uses the same MAF as we do #MR985187. I ran this by Michael, asking if the MAF could by scaled to handle more airflow and his response was, "The maf is limited to 5v. The difference with the evo is the maf housing then."

I believe the housing is larger on an Evo X, but I could be wrong, but the signal must have to be interpreted differently if it were, as 5v in a 2.5" pipe is much less air than 5v in a 3" pipe...
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ate at Red Robin tonight with family, went out to start the car but got no response. I had power, but no response from the starter...??? I had a brief similar encounter one morning but after returning the key to off, then back to start, it turned over. This time though, it never responded. Checked the battery cables, which were secure, got back in the car and drew a blank...hmmmm? I then put the car in Neutral, thinking this is another postion where the car will start and voila, the car started right up! Fortunately, it threw a CEL which i checked when I got home... PO335 Crank Postion Sensor malfunction.

I went ahead and cleared the code and will see if it acts up again. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, decreasing boost seemed to take care of maxing out the MAF but sacrificed lot's of power off the start. Although, boost/power continued to increase as rpms/load increased, up to 9-10 psi at 7000 rpms, with AFRs' in the low 10's! I couldn't get use to this around town so I put more tension back on the WG actuator arm to get my low end power back. I'm back to maxing out my MAF but able to spin my tires in first and second, lol! I was thinking, maybe less boost would be a better set up on the motorsports track!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Pull out from getting coffee, accelerate into boost....SNAP! CEL P0340 Crankshaft Position Sensor malfunction.
Try to start the car...Nothing but the starter spinning without any engine engagement. Suspect I snapped my timing belt, et al. Timing belt was replaced in Aug 2013 35K ago when water pump was done...Smh.

It's at the shop now...

Last edited by truthdweller; Jan 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Awww man... I know that feeling... Did you pull the upper timing cover and check? Maybe you'll get lucky and the valves will be ok.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Awww man... I know that feeling... Did you pull the upper timing cover and check? Maybe you'll get lucky and the valves will be ok.
Didn't even get that far, just towed it to the shop...They'll advise.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

if it failed, I would like to know, was it an OEM belt? and who installed it
Old Jan 26, 2017, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

if it failed, I would like to know, was it an OEM belt? and who installed it
"Gates" as far as the mechanic (Mike Allman, Allman Family Auto, El Cajon, CA) can tell by the p/n in his records. When the belt is pulled off, we'll look at it and confirm what brand. Mechanic just called, said he pulled the plugs and can see scoring on a piston head when he scoped down a plug hole. Heads coming off he said.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just a note, so far three people have purchased Gates belts, two with failures at 35k or less, myself 35k, Brandon Guerra at 30k, and the third, Patrick White,TBD. Brandon and myself are turbo, Pat is NA.

Was told today that all but two valves were damaged, all are being replaced, the head is off to the machine shop, water pump and reinforced timing belt kit is being installed. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow and find out more details, brand of belt etc. My mechanic is an ex Mitsu master mechanic and says the belt is "expensive" but better for my application.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Just a note, so far three people have purchased Gates belts, two with failures at 35k or less, myself 35k, Brandon Guerra at 30k, and the third, Patrick White,TBD. Brandon and myself are turbo, Pat is NA.

Was told today that all but two valves were damaged, all are being replaced, the head is off to the machine shop, water pump and reinforced timing belt kit is being installed. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow and find out more details, brand of belt etc. My mechanic is an ex Mitsu master mechanic and says the belt is "expensive" but better for my application.
I would be extremely interested to know what belt they use...also Gary, I've been getting back into using Fastworks...so I will have a look at your stuff soon, I meant to do it the other day, but I always get sidetracked...I got renos, my own car trouble, snow to push around...lol, I promise I will have a look...text me and remind me even, cause i'll forget an hour from now...
The following users liked this post:
Resurrected RA (Feb 4, 2017)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would be extremely interested to know what belt they use...also Gary, I've been getting back into using Fastworks...so I will have a look at your stuff soon, I meant to do it the other day, but I always get sidetracked...I got renos, my own car trouble, snow to push around...lol, I promise I will have a look...text me and remind me even, cause i'll forget an hour from now...
No problem Garrett, lol, I just bought you more time with the car being down, and figuring out how to pay for it...I'm more interested in what you've been doing with the RCAF!

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build