Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

04 - 06 Turbo RA's?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackLabelFab
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's Jesse from TurboKits.com. Since we are no longer an advertiser, we can't post under TurboKits.com so I am borrowing a username.

Anyway, there is more behind the scenes that made our decision than was made public. It was not purely a money play.

History: Brett came to us with a kit that he and Mike had built and said, there is a market, you should mass produce it, we need to be in the $4k range. We told Brett that we couldn't hit that price point or go into production unless there were at-least 10 people. Brent assured me that there were (and more) so we went ahead and built samples for testing and sent them up to Brent. It was over a year from when we first got the kit until we posted the info online. Over that time I had started to get the brush off and general feeling that Brent and Mike weren't going to be able to do the tuning. I finally talked to Brett and he said he was having a hard time getting Mike to finish the tune and not release the kit until it was ready. A few months later I get a call from Brent saying that the tune is nailed and to go ahead and release the info, so I did. Then I get another call from Brent saying that he and Mike are not working together anymore and that he was trying to find another tuner. So basically, I couldn't trust that we could get the tuning supplied if we went ahead and moved forward with the kit. Since the kit was under our name, we would ultimately be responsible for it's success, we didn't want a bunch of Ralliart kits that no one can use. Couple that with all of the flip/flopping and lack of confidence I had that Brent and Mike were going to hold up their end of the bargain, and we pulled away from advertising it and stopped the group buy. We are truly sorry it had to work out that way and maybe if a viable tuning solution comes to the market we'll think about putting out a "Parts Only Kit (no tuning)" for the DIYers. But for now, we have other projects that have taken over priority.

Sorry Brent and Mike if this offends you, but I can't sit by anymore and get bashed over and over on this.
I sold my 68 mustang to buy this kit than my dad kicked me out the house hahaha so my priority came first.. After a few months I've saved up enough money to buy the kit just could of gave us a couple more months just for the parts and run a piggyback or stand alone.. I could use a manifold if you guys can make one for under 300
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
nice how do you like the Eclipse? I drove the GT and didnt really like it. Whats your take on it?
Actually last night was the first time driving a GT. I wasn't to crazy about it. It's too squirrely, and I didn't like the torque steer at all. Let him drive my car, he couldn't believe how smooth and quick it was, and at 6lbs I keep up with his car.

I really like my Eclipse, turns alot of heads and with the Brembos on it I seem to get alot of guys in way nicer cars trying to run me lol! M's, AMG's, V8's, even had a GTR come up on my side, then smash on me driving down the 5 it's the craziest thing!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That just goes to show that you pose a threat Dave
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
up the boost Dave, i'm running 9 psi...looking to run 12's...do you have ARP head studs?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not offended but surprised that you choose to go public like this and back me into a corner, I did think better of you. I now feel like you are deflecting blame for the failure of the kit because few guys got angry and started tossing blame around. In three months there was 1 person that put cash up, how is that anyone's fault? Both companies knew the risk if we worked on this together, you have been in business long enough to know there is no guarantee on how things like this will turn out. We have invested more time on developing this platform than anyone else. I said based on all the talk and emails and PM's that there should be enough interest for 10 kits. I also said that there is more of a market form the 4g Eclipse owners. Mike and I are still working together on the Mitsu tuning look at the Lancer flashes from here and all the Eclipse Flashes on a different site. I am attending a Mitsubishi Owners Day Tomorrow to promote the tuning and to try to drum up interest in the kit, have to now change that last part. I had gone off on another project and I said that Mike and I were not working on that project together and I needed to find another tuner for that project. Not that Mike is not capable of doing the project but he has enough on his plate as it is. In fact we have tuned 3 custom Eclipse kits, and 2 Lancer kits, both custom. Before the auto guys get mental here, there are still issues with the auto Lancer turbo flash and requires more work, we just bought a few new pieces of equipment to hopefully get that sorted. You pulled the group buy because there was not enough people that put up cash, had nothing to do with you or us we both did our part. I still get many emails and pm's from angry people but the fact of that matter is no one put the cash up. You pulled the kit after the 3 months of advertising because there was no interest that's the bottom line. Personally I would have done the same only difference would be I would not go public and talk about our private conversations..

Based on a few posts in this thread if you give it another 3 months there maybe more interest. Honestly I would not do it, I would offer a tuner kit and let the others source out their own tuning. They have our solution or go stand alone.

Originally Posted by BlackLabelFab
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's Jesse from TurboKits.com. Since we are no longer an advertiser, we can't post under TurboKits.com so I am borrowing a username.

Anyway, there is more behind the scenes that made our decision than was made public. It was not purely a money play.

History: Brett came to us with a kit that he and Mike had built and said, there is a market, you should mass produce it, we need to be in the $4k range. We told Brett that we couldn't hit that price point or go into production unless there were at-least 10 people. Brent assured me that there were (and more) so we went ahead and built samples for testing and sent them up to Brent. It was over a year from when we first got the kit until we posted the info online. Over that time I had started to get the brush off and general feeling that Brent and Mike weren't going to be able to do the tuning. I finally talked to Brett and he said he was having a hard time getting Mike to finish the tune and not release the kit until it was ready. A few months later I get a call from Brent saying that the tune is nailed and to go ahead and release the info, so I did. Then I get another call from Brent saying that he and Mike are not working together anymore and that he was trying to find another tuner. So basically, I couldn't trust that we could get the tuning supplied if we went ahead and moved forward with the kit. Since the kit was under our name, we would ultimately be responsible for it's success, we didn't want a bunch of Ralliart kits that no one can use. Couple that with all of the flip/flopping and lack of confidence I had that Brent and Mike were going to hold up their end of the bargain, and we pulled away from advertising it and stopped the group buy. We are truly sorry it had to work out that way and maybe if a viable tuning solution comes to the market we'll think about putting out a "Parts Only Kit (no tuning)" for the DIYers. But for now, we have other projects that have taken over priority.

Sorry Brent and Mike if this offends you, but I can't sit by anymore and get bashed over and over on this.

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Sep 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
I am not offended but surprised that you choose to go public like this and back me into a corner, I did think better of you. I now feel like you are deflecting blame for the failure of the kit because few guys got angry and started tossing blame around. In three months there was 1 person that put cash up, how is that anyone's fault? Both companies knew the risk if we worked on this together, you have been in business long enough to know there is no guarantee on how things like this will turn out. We have invested more time on developing this platform than anyone else. I said based on all the talk and emails and PM's that there should be enough interest for 10 kits. I also said that there is more of a market form the 4g Eclipse owners. Mike and I are still working together on the Mitsu tuning look at the Lancer flashes from here and all the Eclipse Flashes on a different site. I am attending a Mitsubishi Owners Day Tomorrow to promote the tuning and to try to drum up interest in the kit, have to now change that last part. I had gone off on another project and I said that Mike and I were not working on that project together and I needed to find another tuner for that project. Not that Mike is not capable of doing the project but he has enough on his plate as it is. In fact we have tuned 3 custom Eclipse kits, and 2 Lancer kits, both custom. Before the auto guys get mental here, there are still issues with the auto Lancer turbo flash and requires more work, we just bought a few new pieces of equipment to hopefully get that sorted. You pulled the group buy because there was not enough people that put up cash, had nothing to do with you or us we both did our part. I still get many emails and pm's from angry people but the fact of that matter is no one put the cash up. You pulled the kit after the 3 months of advertising because there was no interest that's the bottom line. Personally I would have done the same only difference would be I would not go public and talk about our private conversations..

Based on a few posts in this thread if you give it another 3 months there maybe more interest. Honestly I would not do it, I would offer a tuner kit and let the others source out their own tuning. They have our solution or go stand alone.
The straight up truth! Props

I'm glad you actually came out and said the auto tune is not ready. Way too much mis-communication on that front. Its sad this didn't catch on... everyones now stuck with a partially working piggyback or a damn expensive standalone.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
well said...

on a side note, my tune is solid, and runs and drive like a stock turbo car, and gets the fuel economy of a stock RA if i stay out of the boost. It's a bit conservative, but is daily driver safe, and that was my main concern when converting to forced induction, do it on a budget, not to smash any records...Hackish is very good at what he does, regardless of everything else that's going on...

Brent's RA is a sleeping beast, even with that Evo wing , that kit needs to be in more cars.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 02:53 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow a lot of stuff worth reading here. I think it's a good idea to make a tuner kit , once it's out , seen and ran by multiple people , even more people will want it.

While my reflash is NA and I have yet to get a wide band or 2.0 cable for a custom tune and updates ,it hasn't failed me in the 2+ years I've had it. The 2 step, 1k idle, increased rpm to 7200 and extra ponies have been working just as good as the day I plugged it in.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel bad for even starting this thread. The goal of this thread was to see who all is running turbos out there. Not to pull information about turbokits.com. Sorry Brent and Mike!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
I feel bad for even starting this thread. The goal of this thread was to see who all is running turbos out there. Not to pull information about turbokits.com. Sorry Brent and Mike!
Not anyone's fault Bro. Nothing to be sorry about. The sad truth is the economy is in the tank atm and who can blame someone for saying "I would really love this kit but my family comes first"I know i personally told 2 guys to forget the NA flash take care of your self the flash will be around when you get back on your feet, maybe somewhere down the road we can try this again. It is a amazing kit well built looks great preforms like a mother.

My car is for sale 10g cdn I really do not want to sell it but I think its just time to move on. If I don't sell it I will be striping her down to make a full on track car.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to see both sides of the story from the two invovled in it. Im currently working on putting together a standalone unit. This kit will be plug and play. One will be on my car and another on a customer of mine who is turbo.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:07 AM

As I said, it was not to personally offend you Brent, it was only to let people know we aren't some greedy corporation. We are actually a pretty small company and care about our customers experiences. The last few months of communications left me wondering if the tune was really going to be available and solid. We know that the tune is really the MAKE or BREAK of any turbo system. Add that to the lack of interest and there wasn't a strong case to push through. Obviously we both wish it worked out different.

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05

Old Sep 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Right at the end there was more people interested but you told them not to send the money cause you were backing out.. How can turbokits expect people to come up with 4k in under 3months.. Yea there was talk about the kit coming out but that was over what two years ago and nobody was convinced that it was really going to come out and honestly I don't think anybody would have started saving until they saw the final product which was released and after 3 months scrapped
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Right at the end there was more people interested but you told them not to send the money cause you were backing out.. How can turbokits expect people to come up with 4k in under 3months.. Yea there was talk about the kit coming out but that was over what two years ago and nobody was convinced that it was really going to come out and honestly I don't think anybody would have started saving until they saw the final product which was released and after 3 months scrapped
I know what you're saying. I had 2900 saved. I needed just a few more months and I could of gotten it. But whatever... I'm getting a bike instead. :O
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by keithislegit
I know what you're saying. I had 2900 saved. I needed just a few more months and I could of gotten it. But whatever... I'm getting a bike instead. :O
Here we are, back at it again...$500 bucks was all that would have kept this project alive Keith, and you were aware of that as well. Turbokits made arrangements for those that needed some xtra time to come up with the balance and that applied to you too. This is getting really old. Your avatar is becoming compromised.

Edit: I even offered to put up three $500 deposits to anyone willing to commit to the purchase. There were no takers. Obviously, nobody had the money at that time, OR understood what the requirements were. I'd hope to think the former over the latter.

Last edited by truthdweller; Sep 8, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 - 06 Turbo RA's?