Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

New RRM Turbo kit install...work through troubles...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RRM Turbo kit install...work through troubles...

Well the last two days I have been installing the kit. Man I am sore, bruised, and bleeding! I also installed my zeix wideband and EGT (oil pressure & boost gauge already done). I finished up this afternoon, performed the idle learning process, idled fine For 15-20min, no check engine light. So I took it for the under 3K RPM's test drive, I could hear the turbo & BOV as I got close to 3K...then a check engine light. I pull over run the code p1020, which I've learned is dealing with mivec. I clear the code and keep driving...No driving concerns, I now see I was pushing my luck! I move to the lite boost test...I give it some gas moving to 1psi no problems so I back off. I turn around to back home and give it gas again, this time I get a check engine light and limp mode. I have no power with the gas pedal, my wideband says full lean, it spits out the exhaust and runs like crap. I come to a stop and I turn it off. Sit for a couple mins and restart. Started fine and I babied it home. I didn't have any more time in the day, but I plan to reset the piggyback, check all my pipping and vacc lines. I'm also concerned i messed up the piggy install somewhere causing the p1020 code, so I need to check those connections again.

Also before I get attacked for not getting my factory ECM flashed...I do have a set of 440's and plan to switch out the 5th injector at a later date. Being an 04 I have to send my ECM in, which I was not prepared for.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 01:42 PM

Well I figured someone would have a suggestion....

Before I reset the ECU I ran the codes again. P1020 mivec, P2101 (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Magneto Malfunction). I was able to start it but rough idle. I'm gonna reset the ECU, check my piggy connections again, check my connections/vacc lines, and see where I am then.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by et98cav
Well I figured someone would have a suggestion....

Before I reset the ECU I ran the codes again. P1020 mivec, P2101 (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Magneto Malfunction). I was able to start it but rough idle. I'm gonna reset the ECU, check my piggy connections again, check my connections/vacc lines, and see where I am then.
Does the piggyback splice into the mivec circuit? Post some detailed pictures of how you have everything hooked up...and confirm it only goes into limp mode under boost. Full lean is bad, I think your problem is with engine control, check your piggyback is wired and tuned correctly. What are you using to catalog?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:18 PM

Thanks Cranswick with your reply.

Ok, finally got through most my issues.

First with P1020 mivec I found out the wire connecting to the connector was broken to the mivec oil pressure sensor mounted in head. I re-pinned the connector and soldered in the new pigtail. That problem is solved.

Next was P2101 and lots of limp mode. I found out the snap ring on the turbo cold side was not fully seated (i'm guessing from the install when the clocking had to the be adjusted), which was causing a big air leak. After a struggle finally got the snap ring correctly placed. Went back through all my hoses, clamps, and tubing making sure everything else was tight.

I then performed the 15 min idle learn (no check engine light and perfect idle), then I performed the 20 mins test drive with no boosting (no check engine light and ran great), then I performed the low boost pulls (about 20 mins worth) and it worked! I hit 1-2 psi, then I did a 3 psi. No check engine light and it ran great. Finally!

Then I head to the gas station and just before I got out the check engine light came on, but was running fine. So I got gas and pulled to the side of the building and ran the codes. Now I have a P0507 Idle air control system RPM higher than expected. I cleared the code and kept a watch on the idle, and have noticed its sitting high (1100 rpms) sometimes at a stop light and sometimes not...closer to 700 - 800 range. It does not bounce or surge. I drove for about another 45 mins or so and the check engine light came on. Just got home and ran the code again...P0507. It has not affected driving at all. The brief reading I did over lunch suggest pcv or vaccum leak near the throttle body. Any other thoughts?

I have my zeitronix wideband Zt-2 + ZR-2 Red round gauge, zeitronix addon boost sensor, autometer EGT gauge, autometer boost gauge, prosport premium oil pressure gauge, hks turbo timer. I'm getting all the data software installed on the laptop so I can do some datalogging.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:02 PM

Well found a vacuum line that was hooked up wrong. Got that corrected. Performed idle learn, and it's idling a lot better, I would say perfect. See how it goes with some test driving.

Edit:

Test drive home was great...didn't beat on it yet, but did hit 6 psi once. The idle was great, no check engine light.

Last edited by et98cav; Feb 24, 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by et98cav
Well found a vacuum line that was hooked up wrong. Got that corrected. Performed idle learn, and it's idling a lot better, I would say perfect. See how it goes with some test driving.

Edit:

Test drive home was great...didn't beat on it yet, but did hit 6 psi once. The idle was great, no check engine light.
what vacuum line was hooked up wrong?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:53 AM

Well on the intake tube that has two ports, one goes to the valve cover and the other should of been blocked off, but I misunderstood the directions and connected it to vacuum. Causing a big vacuum leak (at idle -6 after blocked off at idle -20), trying to pull vacuum on the air filter tube. I have since figured there is a difference from the '04 to the '05-'06 models. Been driving for two days now, with no check engine codes. Just started getting the data logging going, the zeix wideband and boost sensor are working. Didn't want to beat on it too hard yet, but the boost gauge got up to 7.2.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

having a good understanding of how the engine works makes little mistakes like that very obvious, it's pretty simple once you get into it, as you know now that you answered all of your own questions...you're ***** deep now, you'll be an expert in no time...nice to see more turbo lancers out there
Old Mar 7, 2016, 02:22 PM

Thanks Cranswick. So far so good. I decided to hook the the coolant lines to the turbo to give some extra cooling. I just got the cooler line connect kit from ebay and and plan to hook up the lines this weekend. I also have a slim fan (with adjustable temp control kit) on its way (to mount on the passenger side that I had to remove) to keep the cool temps blowing on the trans cooler and radiator.