Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Researching AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hectic lol.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Theres a lot to research, thats why im researching it. The evo fuel tank fits, I know that.

It may be simpler to use the Evo parts to be honest, it would require a different exhaust location and the Evo fuel tank, along with Evo rear suspension. But I know the Evo tranny bolts up the the 4G69 block.

Anyhow, I'll find everything out, if it aint possible it aint possible - if it is - I'll do it.

One things for sure - it will be a lot easier to convert a lancer to AWD than it will be to convert a Civic to AWD, as they have no AWD versions unless Im mistake - the lancer does, so there is space and mouting points for the hardware.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Civics,integras,accords,CRx's and del sols can also be converted to 4WD using the CRV 4WD setup it has all the bolts and stuff and fits with little modification.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Diavlo
...I know the Evo tranny bolts up the the 4G69 block...
I was going to say, a year ago (roughly) AMS converted an outlander's AWD system to that of an evo and switched the engine to a 4G63, can't remember if it was a shop vehicle or not (it should be on their site though). I was thinking about it, but wasn't too sure if the tranny would bolt up. Perhaps you should contact AMS and see how difficult it would be and if they would know anything about the lancer conversion.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

So far, my research tells me the following:

The Evo tranny WILL bolt to the 4G69.

The tranny/transfer case combo can be mounted using stock mounting points (but the rear roll stopper mount is slightly different for the transfer case, but still the crossmember is the same, except for a brace that connects the two control arms).

The lancer HAS the same front crossmember as the Evo, with a gap for the propeller shaft.

I'm not 100% sure whether the wider track mean the Evo's axles will be too long, or whether the wider track is achieved by the wider wheels with different offset - I believe its the wider wheels/offset.

So far - The whole front of the AWD system seems like it would bolt up.

The rear is more troublesome. The fuel tank needs changing to the Evo one, with the gap in it for the propeller shaft.

The exhaust may be in the way of the where the propeller shaft should go, but it may not be, as the Evo's uses the center 'tunnel' as well pretty close to the propeller shaft.

The rear diff, is held in place by two brackets - that bolt into the under-side of the chassis - I need to have a look if the holes for those bolts are in the underside of our car - If my theory that mitsu is cheap and likes to save money by sharing chassis is correct, those holes will be there. My experience on the engine swap has shown that many parts (usually bolt holes) on the chassis intended for Evo parts are there on ours.

The rear suspension is different. There would be two options here. First is to transfer over the entire rear Evo suspension. If its the same chassis then it will bolt up. Second option is to mix and match.

The Evo shop manual constantly refers to the Evo 8, as a LANCER, with some non-chassis related upgrades (aluminium arms, lots of braces etc).

It also mentions that the Evo transmission, is exactly the same as the Base Lancer transmission, except that it has a transfer case.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Also, the Outlander shop manual I have confirms that there WAS a 5-speed manual transmission 2.4 All Wheel Drive Model:

From what I can tell it looks like the outlanders tranny is very similar to the Evo one, which the Evo manual says is almost identical to F5M42, the lancer tranny. - The evos tranny is W5M51. The outlander 5-speed manual is W5M42. Difference is in the center diff, to do different things.

2005 Outlander LS AWD 4 Door AWD 2.4L I4 23 $20,449 W5M52 AWD 5-Speed Manual Transmission w/ Center Differential

The advatage of the Outlander system is it has the ability to shut off the rear transfer - which would be great!

So perhaps I will use the Outlanders transmission at least as I'd prefer the ability to select FWD only over what the Evo does.

Last edited by Diavlo; Apr 10, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Correct, there is a 5 speed awd outlander, it is the LS which is the base model ..only made a year or two though...

Originally Posted by Diavlo
Also, the Outlander shop manual I have confirms that there WAS a 5-speed manual transmission 2.4 All Wheel Drive Model:

From what I can tell it looks like the Evo transmission was used - W5M5.

2005 Outlander LS AWD 4 Door AWD 2.4L I4 23 $20,449 W5M5 AWD 5-Speed Manual Transmission w/ Center Differential

The advatage of the Outlander system is it has the ability to shut off the rear transfer - which would be great!

So perhaps I will use the Outlanders transmission at least as I'd prefer the ability to select FWD only over what the Evo does.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Nice research man keep it up and keep posting.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

go buy an evo
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

^ didn't read the whole thread
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
go buy an evo

-100 points moderators
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

I may buy an Evo as well - then I can compare the two!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Don't forget to check the gear ratios and the final gear ratio between the Outlander , Evo and your Lancer transmision.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

i wish i had the kind of time and $$ to do projects like this.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
go buy an evo
<---------Go buy some reading glasses Or you can borrow mine LOL

Diavlo I thought maybe you would be just happy doing the engine swap.....now AWD

Quick Reply: Researching AWD Conversion