Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Soft Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft Clutch

As of yesterday I have noticed that the clutch pedal is extremely soft and to make matters worse the car rarely goes into gear (any gear). I either have to turn the car off and put it into gear then turn the car on and go or sit there and pump the pedal a million times (like the old school super soaker action) before there is enough pressure to put the car in gear. Seeing as it is Xmas no dealer is open, any advice as to what this could be?

Last edited by Fifty; Dec 22, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replaced or bled your brake fluid lately?
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Not the break fluid but I did do the tranny fluid about 2 months ago
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:06 PM

check your brake fluid level. the clutch master uses the brake fluid resevoir for fluid. if that is full, then either your clutch slave cylinder or your clutch master cylinder is toast.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

+1 a few people have had issues with the slave cylinder so far.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet will do, thanks guys!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
+1 a few people have had issues with the slave cylinder so far.
That's what mine did before it failed... get it checked out fast, mine failed less then 2 weeks later.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

There is a section inside your brake fluid cantainer that is strictly for slave. You have to over fill to fill slave side. It is on the LR side of the container. Better if you use light through it. Also to see if your slave is bad, pull back the boot and see if fluid is there or coming out. If there is then slave is back.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

My slave cylinder was leaking... didn't notice it, wound up replacing it when i did my clutch. Seems like our cars have ****ty slave's... Also might want to make sure you grease up the joint in there real well otherwise it makes this small squeak/rattle.. or mines does.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
There is a section inside your brake fluid cantainer that is strictly for slave. You have to over fill to fill slave side. It is on the LR side of the container. Better if you use light through it. Also to see if your slave is bad, pull back the boot and see if fluid is there or coming out. If there is then slave is back.
So I should overfill the reservoir? Should I pump the clutch to get it so see if it goes down a little?

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
My slave cylinder was leaking... didn't notice it, wound up replacing it when i did my clutch. Seems like our cars have ****ty slave's... Also might want to make sure you grease up the joint in there real well otherwise it makes this small squeak/rattle.. or mines does.
How much was the slave cylinder if you don't mind me asking?

Also if I don't replace the slave cylinder is it okay to just top off the fluid or do I have to bleed the whole system?
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy crap. I think this is the same problem i am having with my car. Only problem, i forced my car into gear to get it home when the problem happened. My car is getting looked at now. I'll see what happens and see if my expirence can help you.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this happen to me a few months ago.

Pedal was a bit soft for a few shifts, then just sank to the floor and stayed there. I drove it to work like that, diagnosed a failed clutch slave when I got there.

I called my local dealer, who had the part in stock, they said they'd hold one for me until they closed that night. Drove from work to the dealer, then home without a working clutch, and replaced the slave and bled the line in about 15 minutes.

Good as new.

The part cost me $62 from the dealer.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Fifty, you should fill until it is almost to the top. Do not over fill till spill over. Wait to see if it goes down then check section i told you about. To be sure it is the right section there will be a rubber side tube coming out of the lower side of the reservoir. That is the section that the clutch uses. Once that is fill pump the clutch pedal a few times. Then go check reservior and also pull back the boot on the slave going to clutch fork. If there is fluid present on the back side of the slave push rod replace the slave. Very simple. Also if there is no fluid present. Go inside the Drivers side underdash and there should be a boot going to clutch master. There will be a saftey switch, a rod with a clevis pin going from clutch pedal to clutch master. I am pretty sure there is a boot there also. Pull it back to see if there an fluid if so replace. All hydraulic clutch systems are sealed systems. I hope this will help you.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

If there is nothing wrong then bleed clutch until pedal feel comes back. Remember only break the valve once or twice then top off reservior or else you have what they call "air lock". That is where the push rod will travel too far and not return to back to its required position. Just don't run all the fluid out. Just trying to help you from disaster if you don't already know.