Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Obx Headers Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obx Headers Problem

Purchased And Installed Obx Headers. They Fit Great. One Problem Thought. There Is A Ticking Sound As I Accelarate And A Vibration Noice Coming From My Exhaust That Was Never There Before. I Dont Think Its Because Their Might Be Something Wrong With The Headers But I Really Dont Know How To Fix The Problem, Can Anyone Help? SHOULD I PURCHASE A NEW EXHAUST. IF SO WHICH KIND SHOULD I GO FOR NOT INCLUDING THE RRM MAG FLOW EXHAUST

Last edited by BBG327; Jul 27, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: MORE QUESTIONS
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:55 AM

Well you took out your cat so of course it going to be louder then stock. Mine isnt bad if I accelerate smoothly and slowly or if I really get on it it just simply roars once mivec kicks in.

You will probably need to add a HF cat to make it a little quieter.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:26 PM

Yeah Ive Been Noticing The Same Think Lately As I Try To Tame The Soundand Yeah Smooth And Slow A First Is The Way To Go. But Yeah Im Going To Look Into The Hf. You Think It Will Be Alot To Weld On?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:21 AM

did you guys notice a nice improvement with these headers!?!? you lose low end torque right? but you gain a lot of hig end!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:07 AM

I didnt feel a noticable loss of torque, but I also have a SRI so that may help out a bit.

The high end is incredible! Even after 2.5K miles I still grin like a possum when I get on her!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 2.5" Magnaflow hi flow cat and 65mm Hks hiper, for sale. Should sound sick.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:14 PM

I had an OBX header on my Lancer GLXi. Honestly, headers on 4 bangers such as our cars you really don't notice a difference unless you are pretty modified. The biggest difference you'll see is the noise. Which I was pretty pleased with when my car was fully warmed up and on the round. Then again, on cold start, it sounded like a pissed off bee (Honda ). I just wish these EFI vehicles of todays age got as much performance out of a header as did the muscle cars of back in the day...
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by drumnbassbboy
I had an OBX header on my Lancer GLXi. Honestly, headers on 4 bangers such as our cars you really don't notice a difference unless you are pretty modified. The biggest difference you'll see is the noise. Which I was pretty pleased with when my car was fully warmed up and on the round. Then again, on cold start, it sounded like a pissed off bee (Honda ). I just wish these EFI vehicles of todays age got as much performance out of a header as did the muscle cars of back in the day...
Thats NOT true on a ralliart. Well maybe the it wasnt the headers but the replacement downpipe really opened up the exhaust. The stock down pipe is very restrictive compared to the after market downpipes out there. There is a very noticeable difference in power.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:07 PM

Is it possible to just buy a downpipe then??? i always see headers and downpipe in a package. how is the stock exhaust manifold? will you see a difference with just a downpipe??
Old Sep 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

To the OP, I have to ask the dumb question....have you checked to see if any part of the exhaust is rubbing/hitting your car? Is the "ticking" sort of a buzz?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 05:15 PM

I purchased my ralliart from a used dealership. After driving it home (from colorado to south dakota) I noticed a ticking noise began whenever I accelerated a little harder. It was also rattling from being poorly aligned, so I took it in for straightening. They told me the ticking was caused by a leak in the exhaust. Apparently the previous owner tried to redo the entire thing on his own, and did a **** job of it.

So your ticking is most likely coming from an unnoticed leak from when you replaced your stock headers.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by gary_06ralliart
Is it possible to just buy a downpipe then??? i always see headers and downpipe in a package. how is the stock exhaust manifold? will you see a difference with just a downpipe??
I went to an exaust shop and they made a custom downpipe and they kept the manifold...they just change the flex pipe and the tubing with mendrel bent and i put a cat high flow witch one is not heavy like the OEM....it makes a big difference in the response when you press on the gaz.

Good mod to have.