Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Stock AFR target and Timing Tables

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock AFR target and Timing Tables

I spent some time last night and imported some of the reverse engineered maps into EcuFlash so I could show some pretty tables for everyone. Here is the stock AFR target table and the timing table. Given the compression ratio, bore size and all that you can see the stock timing is pretty conservative in some places.

Unfortunately as I've always said this car has open loop/closed loop problems and it doesn't switch into open loop until above 80% throttle or a load value of 128 between 2000 and 4200 RPM. So above that it runs nice and rich but below that it's still in closed loop and the entire closed loop target table is 14.7 - obviously with no wideband from the factory!

The timing is nice and conservative but I believe they've given it a lot of advance at 4500 to get a smooth mivec switchover. When I was testing my piggyback for this car I ran into a problem with this. Since 26 degrees of advance is almost MBT you can't easily add timing unless you do it selectively. The ECU allows it to retard as low as 21 but that knock value becomes memorized and will then be applied to the entire table. In my case I had an NA ralliart, added 3-4 degrees on the map and it made decent power but after a week it had lost most of the gains. Turns out 26+3 is 29 degrees and that's too much it would ping and pull 3 degrees. Net gain? Nothing! All for one bump on the map!

I'm still working on the mivec routines but honestly, mitsubishi picked a good place for the mivec switchover and I doubt it will be something people want adjusted unless they're running big cams.

I've also started working on a reflash device so you can order this box and flash/tune your own vehicle. Can't promise a date for it yet but it's in the works.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hackish
I spent some time last night and imported some of the reverse engineered maps into EcuFlash so I could show some pretty tables for everyone. Here is the stock AFR target table and the timing table. Given the compression ratio, bore size and all that you can see the stock timing is pretty conservative in some places.

Unfortunately as I've always said this car has open loop/closed loop problems and it doesn't switch into open loop until above 80% throttle or a load value of 128 between 2000 and 4200 RPM. So above that it runs nice and rich but below that it's still in closed loop and the entire closed loop target table is 14.7 - obviously with no wideband from the factory!

The timing is nice and conservative but I believe they've given it a lot of advance at 4500 to get a smooth mivec switchover. When I was testing my piggyback for this car I ran into a problem with this. Since 26 degrees of advance is almost MBT you can't easily add timing unless you do it selectively. The ECU allows it to retard as low as 21 but that knock value becomes memorized and will then be applied to the entire table. In my case I had an NA ralliart, added 3-4 degrees on the map and it made decent power but after a week it had lost most of the gains. Turns out 26+3 is 29 degrees and that's too much it would ping and pull 3 degrees. Net gain? Nothing! All for one bump on the map!

I'm still working on the mivec routines but honestly, mitsubishi picked a good place for the mivec switchover and I doubt it will be something people want adjusted unless they're running big cams.

I've also started working on a reflash device so you can order this box and flash/tune your own vehicle. Can't promise a date for it yet but it's in the works.
some good news
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:05 PM

yeah, it's really nice to see this, I'm still in the process of learning all of that, but the work your doing with this is superb
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:10 PM

This is awesome! Much props to hackish for being able to accomplish so much and be so informative!
Old May 2, 2009, 08:31 PM

Your are a hero man!! How's it going with the tune & flash device?
Old May 3, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

It's going quite well actually... I've been playing around with something special to allow realtime tuning. At this point it's still a concept but I believe I can make it work. Unlike others who have tried it you won't be limited to a fixed number of updates before needing to flash your changes in. Currently I am in the process of removing all the components from the board and mapping out where all the traces go.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:30 PM

nice!
Old May 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

With this ecu flash can you eliminate all the stock ecu restrictions? For example.. Can you make it read boost run higher than 15psi of boost and the AFR stays the same?
Old May 13, 2009, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Some of those limits are related tot he capacity of the sensors on the board. That does not exclude us from putting a sensor with a larger capacity and adjusting the tables in the ECU. Also, please note this work so far is for the NA ralliart with the 4G69
Old May 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thought I'd stick up another teaser... Here is the stock MAF translation table... Hint hint - can now rescale for a larger MAF :P

Old May 24, 2009, 09:03 AM

it's going well!
Old May 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thought I'd stick up another teaser... Here is the stock MAF translation table... Hint hint - can now rescale for a larger MAF :P

continue with the good work
Old May 24, 2009, 07:12 PM

Hey, is there a way to change the open/close loop modes so you can really do some real tunning and not having the ecu going to stoich other than @ WOT?
Old May 25, 2009, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Absolutely. The open loop/closed loop criteria appear to be based on coolant temp and throttle position. I thought they took the MAP sensor or MAF reading into account but they don't seem to. I have done a reflash on our test vehicle that keeps it in open loop all the time so it's definitely possible.
Old May 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Absolutely. The open loop/closed loop criteria appear to be based on coolant temp and throttle position. I thought they took the MAP sensor or MAF reading into account but they don't seem to. I have done a reflash on our test vehicle that keeps it in open loop all the time so it's definitely possible.
the downside being if you're in open loop 100% of the time, you're really depending on the tune to be correct and not hurtful towards the engine since the ecu isn't pulling info from all the sensors to double check everything right?

Quick Reply: Stock AFR target and Timing Tables