Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Limited slip (good news)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Looks like i'll be sending my stock differential to RTM Racing for measurements...possibly this coming week.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was looking on the quaife web sight i beileve and if you order direct the unit is about 400 pounds i think which worked out around 950 dollars. add shipping and your in a similar ballpark. Also much less then the rrm diff just not sure how much and how long to ship from that side of the pond :P

also the quaife is 870 here https://www.extremepsi.com/store/pro...roductid=20219

Last edited by RallyartRob; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Looks like i'll be sending my stock differential to RTM Racing for measurements...possibly this coming week.
please due i want this unit asap lol granted its not 300 like the phantom grip
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
i was looking on the quaife web sight i beileve and if you order direct the unit is about 400 pounds i think which worked out around 950 dollars. add shipping and your in a similar ballpark. Also much less then the rrm diff just not sure how much and how long to ship from that side of the pond :P

also the quaife is 870 here https://www.extremepsi.com/store/pro...roductid=20219
That diff is for a 2g eclipse, google QDH7BR, that's the one that fits our cars...

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
please due i want this unit asap lol granted its not 300 like the phantom grip
i'll let you know when i ship it to Ziggy..
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I shipped my stock differential to Ziggy today, i'll let you all know when he recieves it and gets back to me...

sorry we won't have this for christmas...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

I shipped my stock differential to Ziggy today, i'll let you all know when he recieves it and gets back to me...

sorry we won't have this for christmas...
sounds cool man, do you think these have the possibility to cause serious damage to a transmission?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

i know guys that have run these for years and haven't had any problems...i can't see it, it would have to shatter, but the part itself doesn't take any load other than applying outward pressure on the spider gears....

EDIT:

just did some searching and found a few old threads about diff failures, most were not directly caused by the lsd unit. it WILL of course wear the spider gears over time, because that's how it works, but most of the searching i did found that many people were happy with the units and reported they worked well after tens of thousands of miles...most of the failures i saw were early model phantom grips in honda transmissions, and the general consensus is that honda diffs used spider gears that were of a softer metal than other manufacturers...i would even consider pulling the Quaife and testing it myself...definately go for the tool steel though.

it would actually be interesting to use some sort of replaceable friction material on the plates...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Crans, what is the basic procedure for installing this? Don't reply if answer is too long. And, estimated time to completion?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

the whole job? from lifting the car to setting it back down? or just installing the unit into an already removed diff?

installing the unit it simple, you compress the springs between the plates, and temporarily bolt the plates together with the little brackets, so the springs are compressed. remove the differential drive gear, knock out the retaining pin for the main diff pin, slide the main dif pin out, insert the lsd unit, slide the main pin back through it, insert the retaining pin, and remove the brackets releasing the springs, allowing the plates to separate, bolt the drive gear back on and reinstall...once the tranny is empty and out of the car i would estimate an hour or two for the install, but then you have RTV silicone curing time when you reassemble the transmission case...with the diff by itself after the drive gear is removed, it would literally take less than 2 minutes to install the unit.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

the whole job? from lifting the car to setting it back down? or just installing the unit into an already removed diff?

installing the unit it simple, you compress the springs between the plates, and temporarily bolt the plates together with the little brackets, so the springs are compressed. remove the differential drive gear, knock out the retaining pin for the main diff pin, slide the main dif pin out, insert the lsd unit, slide the main pin back through it, insert the retaining pin, and remove the brackets releasing the springs, allowing the plates to separate, bolt the drive gear back on and reinstall...once the tranny is empty and out of the car i would estimate an hour or two for the install, but then you have RTV silicone curing time when you reassemble the transmission case...with the diff by itself after the drive gear is removed, it would literally take less than 2 minutes to install the unit.
in short terms 5 mins to install the actuall lsd unit but 2 days to do the entire tranny drop, but if your already in there and want an lsd feel then seems like a good cehap option
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

i know guys that have run these for years and haven't had any problems...i can't see it, it would have to shatter, but the part itself doesn't take any load other than applying outward pressure on the spider gears....

EDIT:

just did some searching and found a few old threads about diff failures, most were not directly caused by the lsd unit. it WILL of course wear the spider gears over time, because that's how it works, but most of the searching i did found that many people were happy with the units and reported they worked well after tens of thousands of miles...most of the failures i saw were early model phantom grips in honda transmissions, and the general consensus is that honda diffs used spider gears that were of a softer metal than other manufacturers...i would even consider pulling the Quaife and testing it myself...definately go for the tool steel though.

it would actually be interesting to use some sort of replaceable friction material on the plates...

i was reading one post from a transmisison builder who says if these do fail they have the possibility of taking oiut the entire transmission from debris which is woorysome fo some of tnhe cheap units from ebay but phantom grip has been in bussiness for 15ish years so musnt happen often if it does.

also im a bit woried because if u look at our spiders the only real wear surface where this lsd unit would contact is a small contact patch on a circle maybe 1" inside diameter and about 3/8" wide so not alot of wear material there. Im not sure if this is similar to other cars spiders but would it have a greater chance of wearing heavily in this small surface area
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

the face of the spider gears have some surface area on the actual gears as well...though it would take a very long time to wear into the actual teeth of the gears. to destroy your transmission, like i said it would have to completely shatter. the thing is, i've never actually heard of this happening even through searching, and i've seen a few transmissions on high output cars that have stripped entire gears, and most of the transmission was salvageable...aside from the input shaft which the shredded gear was physically a part of. thing is, if you need that peace of mind, you're looking at $800-$1,200.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you Cranswick. btw, just received an oil cooler, sandwich plate, hose, and fittings from Ziggy.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So it sounds like I'll be looking for a stock differential soon. Any thoughts on cryo-treating the diff. ?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
So it sounds like I'll be looking for a stock differential soon. Any thoughts on cryo-treating the diff. ?
Yeah but from where ?

Since it's integrated with the gearbox on most FWDs I doubt anyone like a scrap yard will sell just a diff 2nd hand.
We aren't like Rustangs and such to have that luxury.

Oops typo !!!

Also, how is the Galant so far Lanzer ? Still like it ?

Quick Reply: Limited slip (good news)