Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

2004 Ralliart Tranny in a 2005 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ralliart Tranny in a 2005 Ralliart

The syncros in my transmission are getting worn and theres a guy on kijiji selling his 2004 Ralliart transmission for cheap cuz his engine blew. I have a 2005 Ralliart and I was wondering if this transmission would work on it? Probably a dumb question but let me know thx.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
which synchros are worn? what are the symptoms? and the transmission should be the same.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
which synchros are worn? what are the symptoms? and the transmission should be the same.
Whenever it's cold out I can barely shift gears or get in to them sometimes I have to rev up the engine for it to go into reverse or first. The gears grind and feel loose. When it warms up if I shift too fast the gears grind.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

that's pretty normal, when it's cold your gear oil is extremely viscous, and the synchros don't align quick enough, and i rebuilt my transmission like 15,000km ago, and i put in a brand new ACT stage 1 clutch at the same time, and if i shift too fast anywhere over 4k RPM it grinds...

when was the last time you replaced your gear oil? and what kind of oil did you use?

I wouldn't hurt to have a spare gearbox, i would love one myself, but it doesn't seem to me that you're having any real transmission problems..

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:35 AM

that's pretty normal, when it's cold your gear oil is extremely viscous, and the synchros don't align quick enough, and i rebuilt my transmission like 15,000km ago, and i put in a brand new ACT stage 1 clutch at the same time, and if i shift too fast anywhere over 4k RPM it grinds...

when was the last time you replaced your gear oil? and what kind of oil did you use?

I wouldn't hurt to have a spare gearbox, i would love one myself, but it doesn't seem to me that you're having any real transmission problems..
Oh really yours grinds too? And i just got the car in June so i'm not sure if they replaced it or what they use.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

start by draining the old gear oil, replace with pennzoil (GM) synchromesh, BG synchroshift, or AMSoil synthetic gear oil...drive it for about a week, and see how it goes...

In my experience, Mitsubishi gearboxes don't shift well at high RPM if you're hammering on it. If your synchros were gone, you would have difficulty getting into gear at any RPM, regardless of how long you've had your foot on the clutch. You should allow a short delay before pushing the gear in, when you're hard on the throttle...

Yes, mine will grind if i shift too fast...it's not a race car...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure the oil is GL-4 specification NOT GL-5.
The two are incompatible, GL-5 did not supersede GL-4 they are just for different applications.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:42 PM

I got the used engine and transmission.

Today I got that blown engine with the tranny supposely in still running condition. I took it all apart and I have a few questions. Don't worry i'm getting a shop to do all the tranny work.

Is the tranny supposed to be all covered in black stuff when you take it off from the engine? Here's a pic : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/img0272p.jpg/ I wiped it off on the bottom it's really thick.

Also, I took the clutch off and noticed a few things.. Why are the flywheel bolt tops all chewed up? Here's another pic: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0268ae.jpg/ Here's a close up: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/img0267n.jpg/

One last questions is how do I tell if the clutch is really worn or still good? I have some pics also let me know what you think: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/img0280pd.jpg/ ,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/img0279vs.jpg/ ,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/img0278h.jpg/,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/img0276ox.jpg/

Let me know what you think thanks. And also I did change my tranny oil I put BG Syncroshift II in it and it still grinds in third gear and it's getting worse now it's pretty much any rpm third gear grinds.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

All that black **** in the first picture is clutch dust...that's just all the fricstion material that used to be on the clutch disc, lol...pretty normal if the clutch has been in there for a while...does it slip at all?

not sure why those bolts are chewed, is there damage on the engine block? what does the clutch side of the flywheel look like? Maybe someone tried to take it off?

clutch is worn when it begins to slip, or it's worn down to the rivets, looks like you still have some material there, but since it's out, you might as well replace the clutch and release bearing...otherwise you'll be pulling the transmission again very soon for a clutch job...

how long did you drive with the new gear oil?? depending on how much you drive, i would give it a few weeks...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:51 AM

All that black **** in the first picture is clutch dust...that's just all the fricstion material that used to be on the clutch disc, lol...pretty normal if the clutch has been in there for a while...does it slip at all?

not sure why those bolts are chewed, is there damage on the engine block? what does the clutch side of the flywheel look like? Maybe someone tried to take it off?

clutch is worn when it begins to slip, or it's worn down to the rivets, looks like you still have some material there, but since it's out, you might as well replace the clutch and release bearing...otherwise you'll be pulling the transmission again very soon for a clutch job...

how long did you drive with the new gear oil?? depending on how much you drive, i would give it a few weeks...
by another chance do you know the size of socket for the head bolts on the ralliart? It looks like a 12 point or more I could be wrong
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

you're right, it's a metic 12 point...i'll go out the garage and check for you right now...

12mm 12 point

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:09 PM

you're right, it's a metic 12 point...i'll go out the garage and check for you right now...

12mm 12 point
thx man and I changed my tranny oil about 2 weeks ago. Lol only 12 point set I could find was a no name one and I got to the 2nd last bolt and the socket broke it cracked right in half lol. Also on that used tranny the cv joint and axle looks in really rough shape how hard would it be to swap mine into that tranny or should I just take the gears out of the used tranny and put it in mine or whatever is worn swap them if you know what I mean?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

if the guts of the used tranny are good, just use it, unless the transmission case id cracked...to take your transmission out you would have to take the axels out...they just sit it there, there's nothing hold them in...one side has some what of a snap ring, but they just sit in the differential...if the spare axels are ****ed, don't use them if yours are good, use them...just make sure the differential oil seals are in good condition, if in doubt, replace them, as it's a pain in the **** to take the axels out in the first place to do the transmission swap.

About the tools, most tool suppliers like fastenal, sears, and most autoparts stores and have odd tools like metric 12 point, etc. and usually offer some kind of warranty...I get most of my tools at my local canadian tire, cause they accept returns and replacement of broken tools, no questions asked, because their mastercraft brand has a lifetime warranty. If canadian tire doesn't have what i need, fastenal or acklands grainger usually carries, or can order it...they're great for replacement hardware too...so you don't have to pay $6 for a mitsubishi OEM transmission bolt... metric grade 10.9 fasteners are fine, but you should check the specs for torque values, because they vary base on the fastener, not the hole it goes in.

I don't know what kind of suppliers there are in the US, but i'm sure the places are there...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 15, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:17 PM

if the guts of the used tranny are good, just use it, unless the transmission case id cracked...to take your transmission out you would have to take the axels out...they just sit it there, there's nothing hold them in...one side has some what of a snap ring, but they just sit in the differential...if the spare axels are ****ed, don't use them if yours are good, use them...just make sure the differential oil seals are in good condition, if in doubt, replace them, as it's a pain in the **** to take the axels out in the first place to do the transmission swap.

About the tools, most tool suppliers like fastenal, sears, and most autoparts stores and have odd tools like metric 12 point, etc. and usually offer some kind of warranty...I get most of my tools at my local canadian tire, cause they accept returns and replacement of broken tools, no questions asked, because their mastercraft brand has a lifetime warranty. If canadian tire doesn't have what i need, fastenal or acklands grainger usually carries, or can order it...they're great for replacement hardware too...so you don't have to pay $6 for a mitsubishi OEM transmission bolt... metric grade 10.9 fasteners are fine, but you should check the specs for torque values, because they vary base on the fastener, not the hole it goes in.

I don't know what kind of suppliers there are in the US, but i'm sure the places are there...
Thx for the advice and where about's could I find these torque specs? I don't have a owner's manual I don't really know what's in it anyways.. If you could help me find these specs it would be great.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah, forgot to ask, since you don't have a manual i'm assuming you don't know the head bolt removal sequence, it is very important to avoid damage to the head, i.e. warping, i hope you used some kind of cross pattern during removal...why is the head coming off anyways?

check your PM's

Quick Reply: 2004 Ralliart Tranny in a 2005 Ralliart