Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Limited slip (good news)

Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Limited slip (good news)

Hi Garrett,

Thank you for your interest in Wavetrac.
After checking into this, yes - you are correct. Our diff to suit 4G Eclipse will also fit the 04-06 Lancer Ralliart.
Not the same exact transmission, but the diff is identical.

76.309.180WK $995

Regards,
Dana
AUTOTECHdriveline
29 Journey
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-3333 USA
Tel +1.949.362.8700 x25 Fax +1.949.362.8720
www.wavetrac.net

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice a somewhat "cheaper" alternative
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:53 AM

Hows wavetrac compare to quiafe? And I saw the previous thread believe it was old bout Phantom Grip, assuming its going to be better than that>
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

well it's a differential...the phantom grip is not a differential...it's a conversion for an open diff...and as far as being some what cheaper it's 400 bones cheaper...that's almost 1/3 of the cost of RRM's quaife...and according to wavetrac their diff is designed to be superior under certain conditions...check their website, it's pretty convincing...and i would think the performance couldn't be any less than that of of a quaife as they are both similar in terms of using helical gears...wavetrac is the name of the device that makes it different from other helical LSD...

from the website:

"Precisely engineered wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart.
Very quickly, this creates enough internal load within the Wavetrac® to STOP the zero axle-load condition."

you would have to personally try both to feel the difference but again i would think they are similar enough, and both offer lifetime warranty, no maintenance...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 22, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

I only say "Cheaper" that way because a grand is still alot of bones for some whos on unemployment
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is some good news but now it's time to do some research. I have heard of quaife for many many years, wavetrac is pretty new to me at least. Going to have to talk with my drifting buddies to see how the wavetracs hold up in drifting etc. Good find and very nice of you to share with the community as many others keep things of this sort a secret.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

like i said, in the other thread hackish mentioned wavetrac would have something in the near future...and i've looked before and they had nothing listed for the 4g eclipse...when i saw it i just sent them an email...why would anyone keep that a secret? I thought we were here to help others, not be better or faster by keeping secrets...this is the reputation of the vehicles we love at stake...i've found lots of great information since i've joined...

*cough cough* MAP sensor part number...the 4G63T used the same MAP sensor for like 15 years...lol fit's in our manifold...i got mine for 17$ from a wrecker...mitsu sells it for 180$, after market 3BAR is like super expensive and 3BAR is like 40psi!! i kept asking around and searching, and no one had an answer...i don't know if maybe that was one of these "secrets"...

I'll probably pick one up and put it in when i do my clutch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_zrbYiqNe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WluaaGy0HwA

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 22, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

is the manual tranny differential the same to the auto tranny???
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

don't know...RRM has a selection for manual or auto on their site when you order, but wavetrac did not mention it...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Back from the dead!

Instead of making a new thread, i'll revamp this one with an update...

There was a lot of discussion about the differences between the manual and auto differential, and i'm convinced they are the same, but the manual diff requires a speedometer drive gear to be pressed on, the auto diff does not use this to measure wheel speed...

On to the update:

I'm talking to Ziggy at RTM racing about having an LSD unit made for our diffs, if you don't know, it's basically two spring loaded plates that lock the spider gears of the stock diff, the same concept as Phantom Grip, but as far as i know, they don't make a unit specifically for us. Now these ones that Ziggy makes are of very high quality, and precise machining, and i personally know a few guys that run them in high power 4G63 powered cars, FWD and AWD, and after years of racing they found no damage to the spider gears, which is the primary concern with people when they are considering this option. So basically i was talking with Ziggy about it, and he agreed that it would be worthwhile to make a batch if there was demand for it, so when we get closer to winter, i'll be sending him my stock diff so he can measurements. I'll keep you all posted, as reference, here is the unit that is available for DSM's.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...cat=818&page=1
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Very cool, Crans. I'll likely be in, as long as you help with the surgery on the RA when the time comes.

he has a tool steel option as well as the mild steel material. Man, experienced guys like Ziggy are pure gold.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

sure thing Nick...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Back from the dead!

Instead of making a new thread, i'll revamp this one with an update...

There was a lot of discussion about the differences between the manual and auto differential, and i'm convinced they are the same, but the manual diff requires a speedometer drive gear to be pressed on, the auto diff does not use this to measure wheel speed...

On to the update:

I'm talking to Ziggy at RTM racing about having an LSD unit made for our diffs, if you don't know, it's basically two spring loaded plates that lock the spider gears of the stock diff, the same concept as Phantom Grip, but as far as i know, they don't make a unit specifically for us. Now these ones that Ziggy makes are of very high quality, and precise machining, and i personally know a few guys that run them in high power 4G63 powered cars, FWD and AWD, and after years of racing they found no damage to the spider gears, which is the primary concern with people when they are considering this option. So basically i was talking with Ziggy about it, and he agreed that it would be worthwhile to make a batch if there was demand for it, so when we get closer to winter, i'll be sending him my stock diff so he can measurements. I'll keep you all posted, as reference, here is the unit that is available for DSM's.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...cat=818&page=1

That sounds awesome , very nice Cranswick
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:21 PM

Any updates on this cranwick? I would be interested .
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have not spoken with Ziggy about it since the initial proposal, but he said he would be interested to start the R&D late fall...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited slip (good news)