Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch

Hey Guys, this isn't really a question thread as much as kind of a Journal for what will happen. My friend, (FX11 on EvoM), and I will be doing a simple clutch install on Friday the 2nd. But I'm sure I've worked this car into the ground, so some interesting points and questions may arise. A little info on my current clutch; I've been riding this slipping clutch for a looonng while. To the point that recently, while engaging first gear from a stop my car will hop like wheel hop, shaking the whole cabin. As some may know I've been super tight with money, in turn prolonging a new clutch. But the "hop" was the straw that broke the camel's back. Also I have the infamous, TOB/Input Shaft noise, and this clutch (according to previous owner) was installed 18-20k miles ago (short life...idk why). Well, pics will follow on Friday and some questions I suppose. Can't Wait!

Oh Edit: Btw if you guys couldn't tell... I couldn't sell my baby Many offers around 5.5-6k but I just couldn't let go of my first car.

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

MBK1008 Exedy OEM Replacement. It is insanely cheap, Should I do it? I couldn't find any reviews on it

Also MBK1007. Cheap product usually means cheap quality...hoping this wouldn't be the case

Last edited by MarkChamorro; Oct 30, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well since Exedy is OEM, maybe it's just cheap for them to make and you reap the reward for a change.
Besides, how many have spent big $$$ on a clutch that lasted under a year anyway.
Pull the trigger already.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man, purchased the MBK1007
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
OEM clutch is not expensive, it when you get into performance clutches that the price goes up, the OEM clutch should hold up to any bolt-on performance mods, as well as tuning, with stock compression etc.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
OEM clutch is not expensive, it when you get into performance clutches that the price goes up, the OEM clutch should hold up to any bolt-on performance mods, as well as tuning, with stock compression etc.

True, I just don't understand how my current clutch is slipping withing 20-30k miles
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
could be improper use of the clutch, improper clutch adjustment, or you could have an oil leak from either the crankshaft seal or input shaft seal...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn sorry I'm late on this but I bout mine from amazon for 200 bucks and yea the clutch is great for a stock clutch but when engaging into another gear at high rpm I feel like it slips ever so slightly.. I had a centerforce in my old car and that thing grabbed hard.. I think the shaking your experiencing would be wheel hop solid motor mount can fix that
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Haha better late than never friend! Btw, the shaking I'm positive isn't wheel hop. Or at least I don't think it should be. It happens while the clutch is engaging and when it's fully engaged it stops. It does sound like bad wheel hop though. Even at a slow roll and I put it in 2nd at 2k rpm it will do it slightly lol I know I don't have that much torque. And crans, misuse entails what? Like launching misuse or someone not knowing how to drive a stick
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you have the flywheel trued or get a new flywheel?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

All I bought was a clutch kit, I assume it doesn't come with one then?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a noob with this. Sorry
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yea might be clutch chatter than.. If you have time too try and change the seals so this way you don't have to worry about them later.. When I changed my clutch I just hit it with a resurfacing tool on a drill I had no money what so ever to get it resurfaced but if I were you I would just cause your having a chatter symptom the clutch could have oil as crans mentioned or the flywheel could be warped or have hot spots
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
All I bought was a clutch kit, I assume it doesn't come with one then?
I think there was a clutch kit that came with a fidanza flywheel for 400 or something I can't remember.. But when you buy just a clutch kit all it comes with is a clutch disc pressure plate and throwout bearing
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Yea might be clutch chatter than.. If you have time too try and change the seals so this way you don't have to worry about them later.. When I changed my clutch I just hit it with a resurfacing tool on a drill I had no money what so ever to get it resurfaced but if I were you I would just cause your having a chatter symptom the clutch could have oil as crans mentioned or the flywheel could be warped or have hot spots
I'm tight on money as well lol I might have to resurface it. I guess we will see when the time comes. Also, which seals? Lol i literally know nothing

Quick Reply: Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch