Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

04 ralliart attempting to turn over but is a no go

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 ralliart attempting to turn over but is a no go

Has been a while since I have posted last, but recently I have had an issue with the ralliart and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

i was driving the car last winter heater going, car running well. Suddenly I heard a loud ticking coming from the right hand side of the engine. (Timing belt, water pump area). The heater started blowing cold air, and the ticking became rhythmic. I pulled the car into the driveway at the house and shut the car down. About half an hour later I tried to crank the car over and it wouldn't turn over. It about half cranked, so I know that it is getting fuel and spark. I pulled the cover in the timing belt and it still has tension, so I know that it didn't snap.

Does anyone one have any idea what is happening? The shop I brought it to did nothing but say that j need a new engine, I laughed and had it towed back to the house. Is it possible that the crank position sensor is bad? Did it somehow jump timing? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2016, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I would check for CELs. A bad crank position sensor would throw a code.

Then verify if timing is spot on. The tensioner could have gone bad and caused the belt to skip teeth.

If thats all good I would check compression. Just to make sure something hasn't happened with the engine.

The heater going cold is the only thing throwing me off here. If the engine was running it should have been circulating water and keeping your heater warm.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
did they not tell you why it needed a new engine? that seems incredibly unprofessional and I would take your business elsewhere... Ok, so when you say half crank, you mean the crankshaft completes a half rotation and stops? Cause you also said it won't turn over, which normally means the engine is not turning at all, which would have nothing to do with the timing belt, the starter motor has more than enough torque to destroy your valves, without hindering its ability to crank the engine continuously, for quite some time no less. how did you verify it had spark and fuel? Because if you have spark an fuel the engine would run if it had compression...so that leads automatically to timing, head gasket, or some kind of catastrophic failure. so that leaves me wondering, is the crankshaft able to be rotated continuously? if it's timing, and your cranking the motor, you may certainly bend some valves. it's safer to do it by hand. check your timing marks and turn the crankshaft and verity the camshaft and timing belt actually move together until the timing marks are aligned again...

if certified mechanics told you that you need a new engine, it's very unlikely that it's just a crank sensor.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 8, 2016 at 12:58 AM.