Getting Harmonic Balancer off 04 Ralliart - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Getting Harmonic Balancer off 04 Ralliart

Old May 9, 2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Drives: 04 Ralliart

Getting Harmonic Balancer off 04 Ralliart

I am changing my Tbelt on my 04 ralliart. Balancer is *Stuck* hard. I have tried PB Blaster. I got a pulley puller. In trying to use this, I have ripped the lip off my balancer. I have a new balancer ordered, but I still can't get the old one off. Any suggestions? I can't find anything to pry against that's not plastic. I have removed 4 bolts. There isn't another bolt or nut I'm not seeing is there?

Old May 9, 2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Evolved Member

Drives: 2006 Lancer Ralliart, 2008 Mazda 5 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufireproof View Post
I am changing my Tbelt on my 04 ralliart. Balancer is *Stuck* hard. I have tried PB Blaster. I got a pulley puller. In trying to use this, I have ripped the lip off my balancer. I have a new balancer ordered, but I still can't get the old one off. Any suggestions? I can't find anything to pry against that's not plastic. I have removed 4 bolts. There isn't another bolt or nut I'm not seeing is there?

should just come right off...

Old May 10, 2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Ok, I have applied heat via torch, and then sprayed CRC Freeze off on it and cooled it off quickly. Nothing. I have beat on it with a hammer. I re-installed the motor mount, and put a 20 Ton bottle jack under it. I lifted the car off of the jack stands. By this stuck pulley. I torched it some more, and CRC'd it again. No dice. Is there some tool that might help?

Old May 16, 2017, 03:17 PM   #4

Finally got the %$&* thing off. By cutting it off.

Old May 16, 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
Evolved Member

Drives: GG Evo IX SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufireproof View Post
Finally got the %$&* thing off. By cutting it off.
Sometimes that's what it takes. Was this harmonic balancer rusted on the crank?

Old May 16, 2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Yup. I bought an air grinder and some cut off wheels. I cut as deep as I dared, then put a 1' chisel into the groove and hammered it in until it broke. BTW our balancer is a two part balancer. The outer ring pops right off if you cut it. Almost done with this job. It got dark, and I had been working on the stupid thing since 7 this morning. I'll finish tomorrow.

Old May 21, 2017, 11:34 AM   #7

OK, so I got it done, and bolted back together. When I decelerate, like coming to a stop light, it wants to die. It will start and idle fine, and but if I stop at a stop sign, or waiting to pull out of my driveway, it stalls. Is this likely a timing issue, or is it from the cpu resetting and needing to "re-learn"? The battery was disconnected for a couple weeks.