Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

manual trans rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual trans rebuild

Starting getting a grinding/ my transmission a few months ago. figured it was either a warped fly wheel or a throw out bearing. finally replaced the clutch, fly wheel, and all that fun stuff. got it all back together and the noise is still there, and now it wont go into gear. found a small leak in the clutch line I replaced and I am fixing that. if that does not solve my issue (which I doubt it will) I will be tearing into the trans. 90% sure its the input and output bearing. I have never taken apart a transmission. I am in school for automotive and high performance but still have not gone through manual transmissions. That being said I need to know what I need to do this job cheap, quick, and carefully. Are there parts that must be replaced once it is cracked open? obviously the input and output bearings, but are there seals, gaskets, clips, pins, anything that can not be used again? any info will help. there has to be at least one ralliart tech that can help me.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 04:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had to break mine apart yet so I wont be much help. Cranswick has a great video on his youtube channel that shows how to disassemble. Just search for f5m42 dissassembly.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by kinksleft
I haven't had to break mine apart yet so I wont be much help. Cranswick has a great video on his youtube channel that shows how to disassemble. Just search for f5m42 dissassembly.
I actually just watched it last night. Should be taking it out and cracking it open this weekend. I am still looking for a rebuild kit that isn’t $600. Any idea where I should look?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cschubert444

I actually just watched it last night. Should be taking it out and cracking it open this weekend. I am still looking for a rebuild kit that isn’t $600. Any idea where I should look?
No not sure. One option would be get a used one from a scrap yard and rebuild the original to your own specs. The price of used 5spd trans are usually around $400 to $600. Check car-part.com for used
Old Jun 25, 2019, 04:15 PM

I'm about to be in the same situation, I was wondering if there was any more information about this since the last post or if anything was found for cheaper parts that are still quality and won't have me taking the trans out yet again.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
When I rebuild mine I use genuine OEM parts...replace all seals and bearings for sure (you'll need to also replace the output shaft retaining snap ring access plug), but instead of buying a full kit with synchros for every gear, its not a bad idea to first disassemble the transmission and inspect it prior to ordering parts...you may also need gears and synchro sleeves which are not included in rebuild kits...it really depends on how often you try to shift into a gear that's not synchronizing, you may end up damaging the gears themselves once you've shredded through the synchro...there is inspection criteria for the synchros you can measure easily with feeler gauges to determine their serviceability...

common issue that leads to gear not meshing is obviously worn synchros, or a slipping clutch. This WILL cause damage to the sleeve and gear. another common one is a broken shift fork, or shift fork wear...sometimes with hard shifting the shift forks get worn down and will not have enough throw to mesh the sleeve with the gear...

worn forks and synchros especially premature wear can be caused by bent shift cable ends...

As for the 3rd party rebuild kits, there were a few on the market a few years back when I checked, but I always recommend genuine parts.
The following users liked this post:
Pr0jectRalliart (Jun 27, 2019)