Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Replacing valves without machine shop?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing valves without machine shop?

So unfortunately had my timing belt go and bent 2 of my intake valves... Wanted to see if it was possible to install two brand new valves and avoid having machine work done?

Basically would there be any additional steps minus lapping the valves that would require specialized tools/machining??

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're able to take it apart down to where you just need to lap the valves, I would say you *should* be good. I lapped a couple of my own valves and she's still running strong. I'm no gear head by any means though, just one of those 'figure it out as you go' type of guys. When I did my research, that's all that was needed to be done in terms of replacing the valves.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3
If you're able to take it apart down to where you just need to lap the valves, I would say you *should* be good. I lapped a couple of my own valves and she's still running strong. I'm no gear head by any means though, just one of those 'figure it out as you go' type of guys. When I did my research, that's all that was needed to be done in terms of replacing the valves.
Awesome, that’s what I was thinking as well. Just need to make sure the seat and new valve mesh for lack of a better term lol.
I went ahead and ordered the valves and plan on lapping them this weekend... I’ll update the thread with results. Thank you for the reply!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:44 AM

What do you mean by lapping them? My timing belt snapped too and I’m about to start tearing the valve cover down to check the valves for damage
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Moore
What do you mean by lapping them? My timing belt snapped too and I’m about to start tearing the valve cover down to check the valves for damage
Lapping is a machining process in which two surfaces are rubbed together with an abrasive between them, by hand movement or using a machine.(wikipedia)

You are basically polishing a seal between the valve seat and the back of the valve.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Moore
As already mentioned you grind down the valve seat on the head and valve to create a smooth and sealed surface using grinding compound and for me a drill connected to a vacuum hose to spin the valves.

Doing what this guy did in the below linked video saved me.,.. My car is up and running with no SES lights or hiccups.

Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Hope your valve guides didn't crack when you bent the valves.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Hope your valve guides didn't crack when you bent the valves.
put about 100 miles on it so far and no issues... assuming by now if that were the case I’d have problems correct?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do leak test after installing the valves in the head. Flip the head over and fill the dome with some water, with the valves closed. See if the water stays and doesn't leak past the valve to head seal.