EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-engine-drivetrain-94/)
-   -   Lightweight Flywheel (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-engine-drivetrain/172534-lightweight-flywheel.html)

Red Ralliart Dec 3, 2005 12:51 PM

Lightweight Flywheel

What does a lightweight flywheel do? Are they worth the money?

AdamRA Dec 3, 2005 01:03 PM

Free's up HP by removing rotational mass off the engine the same way light weight wheels and lightened crank pulley work.

If you decide to do it, the clutch should be done the same time {thumbup}

r3z0nate Dec 3, 2005 02:47 PM

Why not throw the LSD on there too

AdamRA Dec 3, 2005 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
Why not throw the LSD on there too

If you have that much money available you should sell your car :lol: :lol:

DangerousDan Dec 4, 2005 03:49 PM

Lightweight flywheel doesn't actually (imo) free up whp, just crank hp. But it does let the motor rev faster and come down faster. This makes for better throttle response and faster, safer shifting when rev mathcing.

EDIT: def do clutch and flywheel at the same time though. (and LSD, but like Adam said;))

blackhawkRA Dec 6, 2005 05:30 PM

I like the theory of freeing up power at the crank and letting the engine rev quickly, but would this have any long-term effect on harmonics? The reason I skipped out on the crank pulley was to see if there were any long-term negative effects on harmonics and I imagine a flywheel would have a profoundly greater effect?

LancerChicka84 Dec 6, 2005 05:34 PM

if u go with a lighten flywheel u shoudl lok at getting a transmission scrater plater incase the flywheel deciede to selfdestruct... (yea i suck at spelling) reason being i have heard of them rippign threw the motor and also into the passenger compartment... just a saftey recommendation... it is require at some tracks when u reach certain speeds and all...

thanks

otter Dec 6, 2005 06:52 PM

The stock flywheel does not do any form of dampening, so no need to worry about that with an aftermarket flywheel.

As for the scatter sheild, I think that's more needed for the risk of shattering gears in the transmission, not from the flywheel blowing up.

ralli_cros Dec 17, 2005 04:59 PM

so with the fly wheel do the stage 1 clutch upgrade? just wanted to know why?

AdamRA Dec 17, 2005 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ralli_cros
so with the fly wheel do the stage 1 clutch upgrade? just wanted to know why?

Cost savings....if you see how much it costs to rip a tranny apart you will see why you should tackle both at the same time.

KillahB Dec 20, 2005 04:27 AM

You *should* get your stock flywheel resurfaced anyways, when you pick apart your tranny, so at that stage, it would be entirely up to you.

r3z0nate Dec 20, 2005 08:10 AM

A lsd is was only $900.00...not a huge amount to consider when your transmission is takin apart

OC_Ralliart Dec 20, 2005 11:14 AM

lsd try 1200.