EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-engine-drivetrain-94/)
-   -   Transmission Leak (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-engine-drivetrain/718455-transmission-leak.html)

lbwilliams44 Sep 2, 2015 08:20 PM

Transmission Leak

1 Attachment(s)
Discovered I have a pretty good transmission leak the other day, anybody know the part number that seals up that black plate?? Also there is a much smaller leak coming from that left area, Anybody have a layout or diagram? :confused:

CrAnSwIcK Sep 2, 2015 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by lbwilliams44 (Post 11501871)
Discovered I have a pretty good transmission leak the other day, anybody know the part number that seals up that black plate?? Also there is a much smaller leak coming from that left area, Anybody have a layout or diagram? :confused:

MD997740 aka grey RTV silicone sealant...lightly tighten, let set for a bit then torque...never had a leak on 3 rebuilds

has that case been opened or overhauled?

lbwilliams44 Sep 2, 2015 09:50 PM

Negative, not yet at least. Those synchros are going to need some love at some point.

CrAnSwIcK Sep 3, 2015 10:10 AM

seems odd that the inspection cover and case/clutch housing mating surface would just leak if it has never been taken apart. in any case, regular old permatex ultra grey is what i use.

lbwilliams44 Sep 3, 2015 01:25 PM

Yeah, glad I noticed it. Picking up that sealant today, also got my RRM brake lines to swap out the old ones today. Once I am actually under the car I am going to make sure that's where it is coming from, but I am 99% sure it is. It's the only place there is any oil.

lbwilliams44 Sep 7, 2015 08:10 PM

Yep, it was the inspection plate. Drove a little over 1k miles on it this weekend over some mountains, no leaks. As far as the other part, I smeared some over the crack lol. So far so good.

CrAnSwIcK Sep 8, 2015 04:24 AM

hope it holds up for you...beats draining the oil, pulling it out, splitting it, and resealing...

lbwilliams44 Sep 9, 2015 09:13 AM

Yeah that is what I am hoping for, buuuut it would be a good excuse to replace the clutch/flywheel {thumbup}

2006_RA Sep 9, 2015 10:22 AM

^^ and differential.

lbwilliams44 Sep 10, 2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA (Post 11504705)
^^ and differential.

That would be nice as well, depends if I can find a good package deal there :D

Royal Evo Apr 2, 2017 10:09 AM

Hello Cranswick, I recently brought my 2004 Ralliart to a Mitsu dealer and have an engine oil and transmission oil change. Yes, I know I should have trusted my instinct and have done it myself. Anyway, that black plate is for inspection only, why would an oil leak there after a transmission oil change? What could the dealer have done to cause this. I bought this car with no oil leak under it and after bringing it over there, now i have an oil leak. Now, I will definitely not bring this car thre for timing belt and clutch replacement. What do you suggest that I should do to stop that leak? I mean, if i open it and re-seal that black plate, will it still leak inside and accumulate behind the black plate?

Royal Evo Apr 2, 2017 10:39 AM

I think i found the cause, they didn't tighten the oil fill plug...its about a quarter to half turn loose...

CrAnSwIcK Apr 7, 2017 04:54 AM

Oil sits on top of that plate, if you take it off, the transmission will drain its fluid...it's for inspection but also to remove/install the reverse idler gear during assembly and disassembly. There is no reason to remove this cover unless the intent is to disassemble the transmission.

Evo7Life Jul 2, 2018 08:20 PM

Transmission Leak

So i just bought an Evo 7 and its leaking from the same spot is it an actual Gasket or is it Just a the MD997740 ??

lbwilliams44 Jul 3, 2018 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Evo7Life (Post 11829177)
So i just bought an Evo 7 and its leaking from the same spot is it an actual Gasket or is it Just a the MD997740 ??

You just use RTV sealant there, there is no factory gasket for that part.