Notices

New 2005 RA owner, requesting knowledge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2005 RA owner, requesting knowledge

Hey Guys, as the title states I'm a relatively new RA owner (since May) and I have a few questions about some work that could get done to my car. I've searched through this forum and found everything I could, this is the remainder of my questions (apologies in advance if the answer do lie somewhere here).

1. Rear end sagging. I've read multiple times that this is probably due to worn out lower control arm bushings. But would the bushing cause it to sag this much? (see pic).Is there anything else I should check? If it is the bushings, what can I do about it? I've read that nobody makes the proper bushings, and replacing the whole lower control arm is a hassle but I'll do it if I have to.
https://i.imgur.com/ihwvwCj.jpg

2. Power steering fluid leak. I am losing power steering fluid and I think I have found the leak, I just don't know how to fix it. I think it's coming from some sort of connector in the power steering line (see pic). I couldn't find this part (or even a whole new line) so I'm not sure what my options are.
https://i.imgur.com/LgPUTUu.jpg

3. Cruise control. My cruise control doesn't work, the "Cruise" light come on when I set it, but it does not actually maintain my speed. I've tried setting it multiple ways (different order of pressing buttons) but to no use. What should I check?

4. Factory matched paint for W13 Diamond White. What is the best way to acquire proper paint? (I'm in Ontario, Canada). Duplicolor the brand doesn't seem to do Mitsu, and the options from websites in the States are a little too expensive with shipping. I need to repair one major rust hole and I also want to replace my (missing) air dam which I will need to paint also.

Thanks guys for any info at all! and apologies again if I didn't search this forum hard enough.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's see if I can assist you here:

1. I would check the shocks. However, while you're at it why not just undergo a suspension overall. If money is an issue probably start with the rear including control arms and upper mounts.

2. Probably it's just me but I'm actually unable to identify that part. Is it right above the control arm?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
3. Check you don't have a brake light out, or if LED tails installed your cruise won't work...I'm assuming you've checked all your fuses.

4. www.robertspaintcare.com
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys

1. Wouldn't it more likely be springs that cause sag it, rather than shocks? I'll get the car up this weekend if I can and see if I notice anything off with the springs/shocks/anything behind the rear wheels. Is there a visual check I can do on shocks? I don't notice any problems when I'm driving (ie. bouncing, huge body roll etc.)

P.S. I think I read somewhere on here that S.Tech springs actually raise the rear end on these cars, maybe I could try that in the future.

2. I can't get the car up to look again but I added another picture, you can see the half shaft there for reference. (this is from above-ish, at the passenger side / rear of the engine bay. Bottom of image is toward front of car, top toward firewall. It's the black piece that connects a wide hose (right) to the narrow hose (left))
https://i.imgur.com/fUSgkBJ.jpg

3. My stock tail lights are in perfect working order, and I checked/replaced every fuse that had even a hint of blown-ness.

4. Thanks for that! Much more reasonable then the decent sites I found, and they have a whole patch kit as well, perfect.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
A combination of things cause the sag, I will tell you though that new shocks and S-Techs solved my saggy rear end...same old bushings and all...bad shocks and struts will normally be visibly leaking fluid before you start to feel noticeable oscillations...by the time you feel bad shocks from the driver's seat they'll probably be pretty much pissing oil.

Are you sure what you have pictures is the source of the leak? I'm currently deployed so I don't have access to the parts database, but some power steering lines and hoses are unobtainium...I had a line locally manufactured by a hydraulic hose shop.

You checked under dash, and under hood for fuses? Pm me, I'll get you some documentation to help you troubleshoot the cruise control.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Your tail lights are halogen bulbs correct? If the previous owner used LED bulbs you'll lose your cruise control.