Notices

Clutch chatter/trans noise and rattle from downpipe/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch chatter/trans noise and rattle from downpipe/exhaust

Alright 2 issues:

When engaging the clutch in any gear I hear this loud clunking noise. Even when your giving it gas when in gear like little quick surges will cause this clunking. It sounds drivetrain or maybe suspension related but I doubt that.

Also the stock downpipe has a rattle to it. When under the car if you hit the flex area it sounds like something is loose inside.

Any ideas? Warranty is still good although I want to see if I can build a case before I go. Anyone else with similar problems?

Thanks everyone for your help!!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

i've heard of those two things happening... just can't remember what resolved them... I know somebody took off their DP and it had a little metal peice in it that fell off something... I dont think that could be anything good And the clutch problem.... Dealer should know
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Looks like it might be time for the RRM downpipe!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

from what i've heard the downpipe doesnt really sound good unless you compliment it with a CAI, Intake Manifold, and catback / axelback.... which i'm guessing you already have those..
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

joe u have pm re muffler!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
A handful of people have had their flexpipes start coming apart on the stock downpipe. It's rather flimsy as far as flexpipes go. Get a new one under warranty, then promptly replace it with the RRM pipe

On the clutch noise, are there any jolts/vibrations to go along with the noise? Any noises when turning? Rattling when the clutch is disengaged?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah she is planning to make an appointment on monday. When the pedal is out there is no noises. The only noise is upon engaging the clutch and it gets worse when you drop the clutch. It is kind ogf weird although sounds pretty much drivetrain related to me. The car has almost 21k and these two things are the second major problems. The first one being that strut/control issue in the rear. This is what a warranty is for but still this is not making her very happy.

She is dreaming of turbocharged power and it is not via a Lancer, yet another 4 door round headlight competitor, use your mind I am sure you can think of what I am talking about.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I am getting some clutch chatter on engagement but only when it (the transmission and clutch not the weather) is cold. I assumed it was only a minor issue and don't drive it hard when it is cold. Is this something I should be concerned with? I have 15000 miles or so on the car so it is still under warranty. I was also wondering if anyone is having problems with engine mounts or could this be related to the noise you mentioned? My friend has a Civic and put in an ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel and had to replace his front engine mount because of the torque. I would assume that mitsu would have compensated for the 162 lbs we have but I want to ask before I have a problem. I am not a slow starter
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

It could be the engiene mounts although I really doubt it. In that case you think it would be worse on hard acceleration and that is when you can't hear it anyways. With my RA you hear it cold, warm, hot, anyway it does not matter. And yes yours and mine should be under warranty or MItsu can bend over when I drive this yellow RA up their... :lol

Ok I'm not mad...they just better make it right. I have the luxury of living by a dealer now that has 2 of the 12 Diamond Star Gold Techs in the country. They know their :mitsu and know it well. I am sure they will find it, fix it, and we will be happy again.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

wow. how do I find out where those techs are? I am currently trying to have a problem with the steering fixed by my dealer and would definitely want the opinion of one of the select few. if you are interested in helping me see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...96021#poststop
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor

I will contact my dealership and see if they have info on those techs and where their at. I will reply to your post there.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

thanks very much
Old Aug 27, 2005, 05:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Another thing I thought of, you're sure it's not your intake bouncing on something?

Also, don't take that kind of talk from your woman, she'd better stick with Mitsu if she's knows what's good for her.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

hm.....i am pretty sure his intake is not in the way. my RA does the same thing. it jumps crazy especially when it is cold. most of the time if i rev below 2k, it jumps like crazy, above that seems fine.
my car does that it's cuz i learned stick on it, and i warped the clutch. (e.g. the clutch engages the flywheel un-evenly) so......i recommend changing the clutch, and the barings. check the flywheel, if not get a lighter one (RRM) so yeah....
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I really wish I knew what you meant by that. This is not her first manula car. I am sure it is not her or me driving it. The car has not been abused and whatever is wrong should be fixed by the dealer. If the clutch engaged so unevenly that would be very bad and only possible if from day 1 you were really driving the car very wrong.

Otter,
I will tell her you said that, better yet I will let her read it. She is indeed thinking abotu it although trade values of 10-11k are not gonna cut it right now. I am gonna look closer at the intake tommorow. If it is going into the dealer I don't want any reason for questions.

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Aug 27, 2005 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter/trans noise and rattle from downpipe/exhaust