Notices

Weird shifter problem - shifter gets 'stuck'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird shifter problem - shifter gets 'stuck'

Hi guys,

I'm having a weird issue with my shifter. It seems as though sometimes is feels like there is something blocking the shifter from going into a gear.

It's the weirdest thing. I noticed it at first when going into reverse, but today I couldn't get into 1st gear. The car sort of hopped its way forward until I could finally crank it into 2nd.

I've seen a few posts here and there mentioning the Ralliart shifter getting 'blocked' but haven't seen anyone post anything about what may be the cause.

If anyone has any idea what's up, your insight is appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 03:29 PM

This can happen when you bend a shift fork, or a rail in the transmission. Obviously I would check out the ralliart shifter first, and maybe put it back to stock to see if that fixes it.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you done any mods to your shifter/cables/transmission/clutch? Bushings, trans oil, aftermarket parts, etc.?

Was this a one-time thing, or was it happening consistently?

If it was consistent, try running through the gears with the shifter, but with the engine off. You should be able to get in every gear.

If it went into every gear with the engine off, try it again with the engine running. If it doesn't work then, your clutch isn't releasing all the way.

If it didn't go into every gear with the engine off, try disconnecting your shift cables under the hood. Now try moving the shifter through its full range of motion, looking for any binding, etc.

If the shifter and cables are good, try manipulating the shift levers on the trans by hand with the cables still disconnected. You should be able to run it through all the gears, again looking for any resistance or binding.

Of course, if it was just a one-time fluke, you can tear it all apart looking for the problem and probably never find it. My shifter doesn't want to come out of 5th sometimes if it's been in that gear for a long time, but it's never caused me enough of a problem to look into it.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my shifter cables binded up on me so they warrantied that **** and gave me new cables all around...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

mine does the same thing at 2800 miles... its pissing me off
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Have you done any mods to your shifter/cables/transmission/clutch? Bushings, trans oil, aftermarket parts, etc.?

Was this a one-time thing, or was it happening consistently?

If it was consistent, try running through the gears with the shifter, but with the engine off. You should be able to get in every gear.

If it went into every gear with the engine off, try it again with the engine running. If it doesn't work then, your clutch isn't releasing all the way.

If it didn't go into every gear with the engine off, try disconnecting your shift cables under the hood. Now try moving the shifter through its full range of motion, looking for any binding, etc.

If the shifter and cables are good, try manipulating the shift levers on the trans by hand with the cables still disconnected. You should be able to run it through all the gears, again looking for any resistance or binding.

Of course, if it was just a one-time fluke, you can tear it all apart looking for the problem and probably never find it. My shifter doesn't want to come out of 5th sometimes if it's been in that gear for a long time, but it's never caused me enough of a problem to look into it.
I haven't done anything to the shifter at all...to be honest, it just started today.

It's funny that you mention that you car doesn't want to come out of 5th sometimes if you've been driving it for a long time b/c the tranny got all weird after I finished off a 100km drive today.

It's strange. Every now and then, the shift just sort of gets stuck on the way into a gear. The thing is today, when it was acting up, I couldn't even for the shifter into the gate at all...it just stopped.

Should I just take the car in to get it looked at?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

mine is really really hard to get into 4th sometimes... You have the same problem?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
mine is really really hard to get into 4th sometimes... You have the same problem?
I haven't had that much of a problem with 4th. In fact, 3rd and 4th seem to be the friendliest.

When the tranny was being bad though today, I could lock it down into anything. It was just weird.

*shrug*
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Is it when the engine is cold or after it heats up? does the shifts get easier after the engine is hot or no change? I'm not sure what kind of climate you live in but weather and altitude change things in your car that are sometimes really noticeable.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

mine does it warm and cold. Sometimes i have problems with reverse as well. One time i went to pull it into reverse it made a grinding noise(yes i did have my clutch all the way in)... I definatly need to take my car to the dealership
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

i think the manufactures make it hard to go into first and reverse because so you dont screw up when you are shifting and shift it into a wrong gear. i have driven some of my friends car and it is the same as mine. sometimes you just have to wiggle the shifter in neutral and then push it in to gear.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
mine does it warm and cold. Sometimes i have problems with reverse as well. One time i went to pull it into reverse it made a grinding noise(yes i did have my clutch all the way in)... I definatly need to take my car to the dealership
Hey CF, I had that grinding noise once too...it was the gear half engaged b/c the shifter got stuck.

Looks like we've got similar problems.

I'm going to see if I can take my ride in this weekend.

Red Dragon: I'll try giving the shifter a better wiggle tomorrow and see how things go.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shaolin
Hey CF, I had that grinding noise once too...it was the gear half engaged b/c the shifter got stuck.

Looks like we've got similar problems.
Did you do it while you had the clutch pushed? i had my cluth in and i was pulling it into reverse when it happened... It also happened to first gear just recently... Stupid tranny.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
i think the manufactures make it hard to go into first and reverse because so you dont screw up when you are shifting and shift it into a wrong gear. i have driven some of my friends car and it is the same as mine. sometimes you just have to wiggle the shifter in neutral and then push it in to gear.
Yeah, I used to have the problem when I first got the car, but as Red Dragon said you can get it into reverse by going into first and back into reverse. Also when I first got it I would occassionally grind 2nd and 3rd, but I suppose it's either broken in now or I just got used to it. So far my transmission is great. Doesn't seem to be any issues with it to date.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

i have had the same problems as you guys with the grinding and I don't know what causes it I am gonna change my tranny fluid this weekend and see if that will help.

Quick Reply: Weird shifter problem - shifter gets 'stuck'