Notices

'04 Sportback M/T

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '04 Sportback M/T

One of the car mags - Car & Driver, I think - reported that if Mitsu got enough feedback from the public, they would consider installing the manual transmission in the Lancer Ralliart Sportback. It sure makes sense to me. Same drivetrain, why offer the sedan with and the wagon without? No brainer. Has anybody heard anything about whether this is going to happen? I know the Sportback is a Love ? Hate propisition, but I kind of like it - but not with a slushbox. What does the rumor mill say?

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

A sportback looks more like a family car and no need for a 5 speed tranny. The sedan ralliart is better and more attractive to kids or younger people who want 5 speed.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

and the sedan has no auto option. I believe they will eventually offer both in both auto and manual.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:02 PM

Geee...Thanks for the slam there pumpdog. Some of us like our sporty vehicles a wee bit practical, too. By discounting a wagon as "family like", you're discounting some really great cars. And even if one considers it family like, there are those of we "family-types" that like to stir our own. There are three cars in my household and they're all manuals. I know it's a dying breed (only 13% of the licensed US driving population can drive a MT) but that's partly because of attitudes like yours. I think all vehicles ought to give buyers a choice. Just my $.02 worth - don't take it personally.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by uranium9v
and the sedan has no auto option. I believe they will eventually offer both in both auto and manual.
I believe the Lancer Ralliart Sedan has both 5 Speed and Auto trannys. It's just that the Sportback only having the Auto.

The Sportback is looked upon as a "family" oriented wagon. Even if Mitsubishi offered the Sportback with a Manual Transmission, I doubt it'll sell more then Sportbacks with Autos. Personally I don't like wagons. It'll depend on the consumers, but I doubt the majority will want a Manual Transmission on the Sportback.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

"slam"... "attitude" ? I don't think pumpdog did anything wrong. He stated his opinion (which most people would agree with) and you took it personally. No need to get all defensive on here. Chill brother, chill.

I agree that all vehicles should give buyers a choice, but if it isn't cost effective to the company to add the option then I can understand why they don't.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by GranMassaX
but if it isn't cost effective to the company to add the option then I can understand why they don't.
How can it NOT be cost effective? It is the same drivetrain as used in the sedan. It would give Mitsu economy of scale allowing them to amortize the cost of the MT option over more units. It's not like it has to be re-engineered to be used in the Sportback - there should be no additional R&D dollars spent - that's why I said it should be a no-brainer.

I'm just passionate, not angry - I'm chillin'

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I don't take it personally. It is all just a marketing thing. They are trying to open up the field of buyers for this car to people who want a more room car and stuff like that. I know many people like wagon look vehicles like the Toyota Matrix, maybe, and whatnot. I'm sure maybe a year form now or so they will come out with a 5 speed version if they see that a younger person is also looking at this car also, not saying that they can't now. It's just marketing to an older generation as I see it. I really don't know the true reason on why they do not offer a manual transmission as liek you said could be pretty easy. This was just my opinion.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:25 PM

now ive never seen a raliart anything is this like a non US moddel or just not lucky enough to see one can some one explain to me the diference or show me a site with a pic. thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ralliart is the new top of the line 04 Lancer (aside from the evo). Has ground effects and the MIVEC 165 hp engine, plus that ugly 04 body styling. Do a search there are tons of pics of the ralliart around.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/mitsub...nce/index.html

ok, sorry, thats the real link
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Sportback is a C.F.S.M, or Car For Soccer Moms. Or maybe people with lots of **** to carry.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I want to get a Lancer Ralliart Sportback. But I want to get a JDM Lancer Cedia front end. The previous Lancer front grill with the Ralliart emblem in the middle and the bumper with the round fog lights is something I would prefer. Does anyone know if the conversion is possible? If it is, I'm all set with the Ralliart parts already...
Old Nov 10, 2003, 05:16 PM

I'm surprised that Mitsu doesn't offer the wagon with an MT. The WRX wagons are almost all MTs, though the AT is available. I guess the Mitsu execs haven't been looking in the windows of many Subarus lately.

Personally, I love my WRX wagon. It's great to take peoples expectations of a wagon and make them shove it. Strongly suggest that you guys pester Mitsu about this. actually, get them to bring over an Evo wagon. I'd be driving that right now, if it were available.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 06:43 AM

from what I heard, in Canada we will have the sportback ralliart with a manual transmission, in December.

Quick Reply: '04 Sportback M/T