Notices

I need your help in an emergency.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need your help in an emergency.

Let me start off by saying that I lost my job yesterday and one of my major bills (my car) just crapped the bed 10 minutes ago.

Here in Mass, it is raining like crazy. Trees are down everywhere and most people I know have no power. So I'm driving home from Lawrence to Lowell which takes about 20 minutes minumum.

When I get about 300 yards from my house, I have it in third gear and push it to about 5k RPM. It bogs down right away and I ease up. I try to bring it to 3k RPM and it bogs again. Now I'm at a stop sign and try to go and it keeps bogging on me and doesnt stall right away but the oil and battery lights come on. Then I give it some gas let off and it stalls. I turn it back on rev it to about 5k and hit the gas. It struggles to get across the instersection where it stalls again even while I'm moving. I push it to the side of the road, get out and open the hood. Smoke comes out but not very much. I close the hood and run home since it is pouring out. I used to have a CAI but now its back to stock since my CAI was crap and made the CEL come on. I'm guessing this has something to do with the water but how would it affect my engine with the intake so high in the car? I'm hoping tomorrow morning I wake up and it is fine, but just incase, does anybody have ANY information that can help me? Without a job and a car, I am screwed pretty bad. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:50 PM

and before the hate responses come in, no I dont need gas and no I dont normally drive at 5k rpm
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

most ppl here regularly drive it at 6500 rpm :P
Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your car is in limp mode to me.
Check your intake and let it all dry out.
I think your fine.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt its water thats messing with your car. Kind of sounds like an oil pump or gas pump.

This most likely isnt the problem but its an idea. I read somewhere here that someone threw a P2138 code which means Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation. Some symptoms of that are power loss and stalling. All you would have to do is yank off the app connector and apply some electrical grease for a better connection.

(and the CEL light you got while you had your CAI is normal, I get one from time to time with my short ram. It isnt doing any damage.)

Last edited by 2200mhz; Dec 12, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Sounds like your car is in limp mode to me.
Check your intake and let it all dry out.
I think your fine.

limp mode doesn't let u pass 3,000 rpms... and sounds like when you reach the rev limit at 6,750rpms...

do you get a check engine light!?!!? I had my APPS broken and the check engine light was on... I bought a new APPS and problem solved...

I don't think its the APPS... if it were the APPS the service engine soon light would be on and the car wouldn't accelerate at all or would be on limp mode limiting the revs at 3,000...

Last edited by BiCiRA; Dec 12, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's pointless to speculate until you pull the code and tell us what it is. Unless you drove through a huge puddle it's probably not related to the rain.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how long ago did the stock intake go back on? Is it possible you have a vacuum leak somewhere on the stock intake?

good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by BiCiRA
limp mode doesn't let u pass 3,000 rpms... and sounds like when you reach the rev limit at 6,750rpms...

do you get a check engine light!?!!? I had my APPS broken and the check engine light was on... I bought a new APPS and problem solved...

I don't think its the APPS... if it were the APPS the service engine soon light would be on and the car wouldn't accelerate at all or would be on limp mode limiting the revs at 3,000...
Originally Posted by matpat3000
Let me start off by saying that I lost my job yesterday and one of my major bills (my car) just crapped the bed 10 minutes ago.

Here in Mass, it is raining like crazy. Trees are down everywhere and most people I know have no power. So I'm driving home from Lawrence to Lowell which takes about 20 minutes minumum.

When I get about 300 yards from my house, I have it in third gear and push it to about 5k RPM. It bogs down right away and I ease up. I try to bring it to 3k RPM and it bogs again. Now I'm at a stop sign and try to go and it keeps bogging on me and doesnt stall right away but the oil and battery lights come on. Then I give it some gas let off and it stalls. I turn it back on rev it to about 5k and hit the gas. It struggles to get across the instersection where it stalls again even while I'm moving. I push it to the side of the road, get out and open the hood. Smoke comes out but not very much. I close the hood and run home since it is pouring out. I used to have a CAI but now its back to stock since my CAI was crap and made the CEL come on. I'm guessing this has something to do with the water but how would it affect my engine with the intake so high in the car? I'm hoping tomorrow morning I wake up and it is fine, but just incase, does anybody have ANY information that can help me? Without a job and a car, I am screwed pretty bad. Thanks in advance.
Granted he got it to 5k but then it bogged. Then he tried to get it that high again and it stopped short an bogged. Then just stalled out all together.
That what my car did in limp mode. It runs super rich and smokes a ton.
It will let your car start but it will run like garbage.
Its just my speculation but i think your intake is off or the MAF is screwed up.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

MAF, the same thing happened to a buddy some time ago, same symptoms and everything. Except that he was racing right when the MAF went dead. Just disconect the Maf and try to run the car, it will still stall and you will have to keep accelerating the car at stops to keep it from stalling. That's only if you need to move it, if not, just leave it alone

The RA's bread and butter, I should keep it in my sig. Electronics Cleaner, MAF, The Throttle sensor behind the headlight ( because I forgets the acronym), Hell I even clean the MAP sensor to be sure. If the MAF sensor aint dead yet, it should revive after u clean it. If it did in fact get wet, try to clean it still, but most likely ul need another one

P.D. NEVER " PUSH" WHEN WET... NOT EVEN IF IT'S FUN. This cars are very stupidly sensitive when it comes down to sensors... thats why I've never cleaned my engine bay
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Bogging is not revlimiting first off ,and we do need the code to help you, also i would day this is another TPS that has crapped out anyone else agree?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
MAF, the same thing happened to a buddy some time ago, same symptoms and everything. Except that he was racing right when the MAF went dead. Just disconect the Maf and try to run the car, it will still stall and you will have to keep accelerating the car at stops to keep it from stalling. That's only if you need to move it, if not, just leave it alone

The RA's bread and butter, I should keep it in my sig. Electronics Cleaner, MAF, The Throttle sensor behind the headlight ( because I forgets the acronym), Hell I even clean the MAP sensor to be sure. If the MAF sensor aint dead yet, it should revive after u clean it. If it did in fact get wet, try to clean it still, but most likely ul need another one

P.D. NEVER " PUSH" WHEN WET... NOT EVEN IF IT'S FUN. This cars are very stupidly sensitive when it comes down to sensors... thats why I've never cleaned my engine bay
Agreed, My car acts funny just spraying it off at the car wash.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

This cars are very stupidly sensitive when it comes down to sensors... thats why I've never cleaned my engine bay
Thats odd to me, everytime i wash my car i open the hood, pass the wash mitten, rinse it off (although I try to to use the least water possible) and then dry it with a chamois and it´s always run like new
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like alternator or maf