Notices

Oil Change???and Oil Filter???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change???and Oil Filter???

Ok so last night i did my first oil change on my RA and thats because the warranty is off my car now besides the powertrain warranty.

First off was a little bit of pain in the a** because i couldnt use the car ramps had to use the jack and jack stand. Anyone else have this problem?

Second removing the old oil filter was a real struggle but finally got it off after like an hour

Next i replaced it with the K&N Oil filter and because it is just wrench off oil filter never have the same problem again

After added the new oil in and everything went smoothly

But the thing that shocked me was after when i was dumpint the old oil into the empty jug it didn't even fill up all the way like ther ewas only like 3.5L of oil adn which i believe the RA is suppose to have 4.0L in crankcase and 0.3L in filter.
So my q is am i burning excess oil here and have a problem or is this normal?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why you need to check your oil periodically between oil changes. No way to know what caused it unless you know how much oil you are burning at while mileage intervals. ie 1 quart every 1500 miles. Just document it during this oil change and then if you're oil consumption is abnormal you can start to troubleshoot.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
this^

you cant really be shocked if you didnt know how much you had to begin with. maybe you only had like 3.5L when they filled you up. again what slc said just document on how much oil you have at the next change and keep checking your levels periodically so you know if you're in any sort of trouble being low on oil and such.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:02 PM

cool thanks guys for the answers, yeah i'll keep notes on the oil, i have been doing the same with fuel mileage
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scary19
First off was a little bit of pain in the a** because i couldnt use the car ramps had to use the jack and jack stand. Anyone else have this problem?
No. Even with my car lowered an inch or so, I don't have to lift it to change oil. I have a low enough drain pan to slide under the car, and can reach my drain valve and filter just by reaching in under the front bumper. Oil changes are a snap in my car. Which reminds me, it's due for changing again.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

and fyi, my 04 RA uses 4.6L of oil.

at least thats what the previous owner wrote on the engine block
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nashvilleRA
and fyi, my 04 RA uses 4.6L of oil.

at least thats what the previous owner wrote on the engine block
yeah i threw in about 4.5L after changing it, even thou manula said 4.0 for crankcase and 0.3L for filter
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i threw in about 4.5L after changing it, even thou manula said 4.0 for crankcase and 0.3L for filter
good, good. i was just pissed that the prev. owner wrote on the engine block.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:44 AM

i can't believe he wrote it on the engine block
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

i can't believe he wrote it on the engine block
i know. i have a feeling that the oil change people may have written it there for her. but still.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
No. Even with my car lowered an inch or so, I don't have to lift it to change oil. I have a low enough drain pan to slide under the car, and can reach my drain valve and filter just by reaching in under the front bumper. Oil changes are a snap in my car. Which reminds me, it's due for changing again.
mys, do you come in from the front of the car to change your oil or through the wheel well? cause it eats up a lot of time since i have to use a jack and stands.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 08:54 AM

i come in from the front generally, i like to check out the rest of the motor while im under there to make sure nothing is going wrong that i cant see from above
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Damn you My oil pan can't fit under the bumper when the car's on the ground. I can use my ramps, though, I just put down a 3/4" slab of wood so the bumper clears the ramps.

OP, I'm guessing you have some old school metal ramps. Get a set of the newer plastic ones designed for lower cars.

Also, you shouldn't need to use wrench-off filters. If you need anything other than your bare hands to remove an oil filter then that means it was put on too tightly when installed. When installing a filter, all it takes is that you screw the filter on until the gasket makes contact, then 3/4-1 full turn beyond that.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Also, you shouldn't need to use wrench-off filters. If you need anything other than your bare hands to remove an oil filter then that means it was put on too tightly when installed. When installing a filter, all it takes is that you screw the filter on until the gasket makes contact, then 3/4-1 full turn beyond that.
and PLEASE dab your finger in some fresh oil and run it around the new oil filters gasket before you put it on the car.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

did no one else realize we are talking about putting 3+ LITERS of oil in our cars?

Quick Reply: Oil Change???and Oil Filter???