Notices
View Poll Results: What do you think about HIDS and halogen housings?
I found this somewhat informative, thank you
72.50%
I think you're full of [rhymes with spit]
5.00%
In either case I don't care, I just lyk3 t3h blu3 l1ghtz!
22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Why HID's don't belong in halogen housings

Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
+15647894156198614357485142.

I really wish everybody that has/wants HID's would just get a projector housing. The absolute worst is when your in front of a lifted truck with 8000k bulbs. OH GOD that pi**es me off.
But it's so much fun when said truck is behind you and wide enough to have a headlight in each of your side mirrors!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyGTR
But it's so much fun when said truck is behind you and wide enough to have a headlight in each of your side mirrors!
Also get a kick outta the purple or super blue's...and the truck has one headlight out...goood investment...::fail::
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

So irritating to see these people on the road with light everywhere....

I'd love to follow them home and take a bat to them. ( the headlamps I mean)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:56 PM

kinda found this funny...the ads im seeing on this page are "HID Kits $49" oh the irony
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:32 PM

Riddle me this: HIDs are supposed to only be in projectors? Atleast that's why you are mainly implying here...what about the older Nissan Maximas with oem hid in factory halogen housings? And the Infinity QX4, just to name a couple. Your telling me the SAME part number for the maxima on the oem hid, and oem NON hid are wrong? They take the same headlight from what nissan told me. It just depends if you have oem hids or not in those housing in which what bulbs you need to buy for replacements. You can't say they are different headlights and one halogen headlamp assembly is designed for hids and one is not when they share the same part number. That being said, are you telling me its illegal that nissan put oem hids in halogen housings? I think not. I agree, and disagree with you in many ways, as a matter of fact I have 5k HIDs in my aftermarket 87 pathfinder headlights, get 10x more light output, and have never been pulled over, and the lights are not even close to blinding, compared to the 8k and 12k idiots running around.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have always thought the same way dude but i didnt want to make a thread about it hahaha thanks for saying what i always thought
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Really great thread! I linked it to the Evom Facebook page; thank you for taking the time.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:09 PM

great thread. hids are way to bright without projectors.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sak
Riddle me this: HIDs are supposed to only be in projectors? Atleast that's why you are mainly implying here...what about the older Nissan Maximas with oem hid in factory halogen housings? And the Infinity QX4, just to name a couple. Your telling me the SAME part number for the maxima on the oem hid, and oem NON hid are wrong? They take the same headlight from what nissan told me. It just depends if you have oem hids or not in those housing in which what bulbs you need to buy for replacements. You can't say they are different headlights and one halogen headlamp assembly is designed for hids and one is not when they share the same part number. That being said, are you telling me its illegal that nissan put oem hids in halogen housings? I think not. I agree, and disagree with you in many ways, as a matter of fact I have 5k HIDs in my aftermarket 87 pathfinder headlights, get 10x more light output, and have never been pulled over, and the lights are not even close to blinding, compared to the 8k and 12k idiots running around.
An arc bulb that is designed for an HID projector will be a D"*"S bulb, and an arc bulb designed for an HID reflector will be a D"*"R bulb, the major point I was trying to convey is if the type of housing isn't designed for the type of bulb (arc/HID/xenon /whatever, the legit High Intensity Discharge design bulbs, being completely different then a halogen) than it cannot work properly and can be potentially dangerous and harmful to other drivers. It's the compatibility issues. Congrats on never getting pulled over but tell me.. what cars today are being produced with HID lighting that isn't housed in a projector headlamp? "High Intensity" lighting needs a beam cut off, most normal reflectors do not have a shroud that does this. Think of car brands that offer HID lighting, lexus/toyota (venza), audi/volkswagen, mitsubishi, mercedess, acura, and now even nissan? How many of those car manufacturers have upgraded their HID housings to projectors only? It has to be for a reason I would think.

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Jan 12, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

It happens here all the time, getting blinded by those super bright HIDs.....
Especially on highways
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

can i put projector housing in my non sss then just buy some hids?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

When i was installing my projectors, i came across this video. Although it's from the UK, it's also applicable to many other parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzfAqyo6oN4

congrats on makin facebook nerdbot
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
+15647894156198614357485142.

I really wish everybody that has/wants HID's would just get a projector housing. The absolute worst is when your in front of a lifted truck with 8000k bulbs. OH GOD that pi**es me off.
I COMPLETELY AGREE. I live in the south so this is everywhere. And I want to have rear-facing Hella rally lamps and blind them like I'm trying to light a domed NFL stadium. God I hate those people. Hate.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
haha... 55w fog lights, low beams, and high beams FTW... please allow me to apologize to your cornea and retina now for the damage i cause to them when i pass you on the street....
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sak
I agree with you fully. The super purple/blue crap is silly, and only for show. That isn't for an enthusiast that wants to see, it's for a showoff that wants others to see and it absolutely disgusts me.

Originally Posted by nerdbotSKRA
An arc bulb that is designed for an HID projector will be a D"*"S bulb, and an arc bulb designed for an HID reflector will be a D"*"R bulb, the major point I was trying to convey is if the type of housing isn't designed for the type of bulb (arc/HID/xenon /whatever, the legit High Intensity Discharge design bulbs, being completely different then a halogen) than it cannot work properly and can be potentially dangerous and harmful to other drivers. It's the compatibility issues.
I understand your view with these different bulbs. But there's one thing I don't agree with that you've done here: The pictures you use to display the issue, were of a car that ripped out the headlights high beam blocker (I forget the terminology here) but if I had to explain it... the housing doesn't have a cut off.. the bulb does... and what most idiots do, is remove the bulbs blocker so it shines up and down on the housing (shining down shoots the beam up, and shining up shoots the beam down, so you have a high and low beam put together)

This is very common amongst the ... ehem.... HONDA crowd.
You do NOT need a projector housing for an HID. But yes, they are nice in them.
An improper bulb, properly installed with a high beam cut-off... will NOT shine as bring as your photos portray... it will be absolutely brighter than the other car, but it wouldn't have that high of an effect.

I get your point, but it's kind of overkill. If you're going to show pictures, at least show pictures that are legit. That picture is of a bulb in a housing with NO cut off WHAT so ever.

And what you state about it being illegal, is completely true. As a matter of fact, it doesn't matter if you get a projector housing and proper bulb for it... any "modification" whatsoever is considered illegal. The only thing is, if you get a proper projector and bulb... what cop will even notice that you modified it? It will LOOK factory.... Unlike some of the Honda-crowds techniques.

On another note, I had a 96 accord with JDM housings and HID's. Their cut off was perfect. Minimal light scatter. The only issue I had was that since they were JDM and drivers drive on the left side of the road over there, the arc of the cut off was on the left side and not right (as some of you may not even notice). This is due to shining on signs from a distance, and possible on-coming animals on the right side of the road. So with JDM's, you are actually shining a bit onto the left side on-coming traffic. But with proper cut off, not to people in front of you. I never got honked at/yelled at/high beamed.

Needless to say, having an evo with HID's already installed makes things easy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why HID's don't belong in halogen housings