Notices
View Poll Results: What do you think about HIDS and halogen housings?
I found this somewhat informative, thank you
72.50%
I think you're full of [rhymes with spit]
5.00%
In either case I don't care, I just lyk3 t3h blu3 l1ghtz!
22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Why HID's don't belong in halogen housings

Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg thank you for this thread. i used to sell HID's to dumb *** kids in my town for a profit years back when they were still new and everyone and their dads didnt have them and they all had non projectors and i am so sorry world for the pain i have unleashed in morristown NJ!! i cant stand the lights. the worst is like a lifted truck with them b/c they are just right in your eyes...i throw on the evo's high beams and lay on my horn when those jerkoffs pass.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
I agree with you fully. The super purple/blue crap is silly, and only for show. That isn't for an enthusiast that wants to see, it's for a showoff that wants others to see and it absolutely disgusts me.

agreed, I've even seen a suburban driving with a green kit, these one's are kind of hard to ignore even in your peripherals haha

I understand your view with these different bulbs. But there's one thing I don't agree with that you've done here: The pictures you use to display the issue, were of a car that ripped out the headlights high beam blocker (I forget the terminology here) I get what you're saying, the word shroud comes to my mind but I don't think that's it ha?? but no, he had not removed anything from the headlamp or bulb, that takes too much effort for some people haha but if I had to explain it... the housing doesn't have a cut off.. the bulb does... and what most idiots do, is remove the bulbs blocker so it shines up and down on the housing (shining down shoots the beam up, and shining up shoots the beam down, so you have a high and low beam put together I understand what you are saying, projectors on the other hand are built with cut off shields, I was referencing them more because a reflector, like you said, doesn't have a shield to help aid a beam pattern. I'm directing more attention in that point because what automotive manufacturer is still producing HID lighting with reflector housings these days? I work on new cars all day and I haven't seen any of those conforming to DOT/SAE/ECE rules using HID reflectors

This is very common amongst the ... ehem.... HONDA crowd.
You do NOT need a projector housing for an HID. But yes, they are nice in them.
An improper bulb, properly installed with a high beam cut-off... will NOT shine as bring as your photos portray... it will be absolutely brighter than the other car, but it wouldn't have that high of an effect. but an improper bulb installed in a housing that it is not designed for, with or without a high beam cut off, will not project a beam pattern the way it was designed to project

I get your point, but it's kind of overkill. If you're going to show pictures, at least show pictures that are legit. That picture is of a bulb in a housing with NO cut off WHAT so ever. the bulb was not modified, and you are right, there is no cut off because of the general design of halogen relfector headlamps

And what you state about it being illegal, is completely true. As a matter of fact, it doesn't matter if you get a projector housing and proper bulb for it... any "modification" whatsoever is considered illegal. The only thing is, if you get a proper projector and bulb... what cop will even notice that you modified it? It will LOOK factory.... Unlike some of the Honda-crowds techniques. Agreed +1

On another note, I had a 96 accord with JDM housings and HID's. Their cut off was perfect. Minimal light scatter. The only issue I had was that since they were JDM and drivers drive on the left side of the road over there, the arc of the cut off was on the left side and not right (as some of you may not even notice). This is due to shining on signs from a distance, and possible on-coming animals on the right side of the road. So with JDM's, you are actually shining a bit onto the left side on-coming traffic. But with proper cut off, not to people in front of you. I never got honked at/yelled at/high beamed.

Needless to say, having an evo with HID's already installed makes things easy
And within your last sentence, maybe you can then agree that one cannot expect an aftermarket HID kit being installed in a non-HID optical designed headlamp to produce the intended amount of light, or, a correct beam pattern of useable light, or get that HID "look" unless the car is designed to come with the correct equipment in the first place?

I didn't know evom had a facebook haha. Neat haha

I don't want to start a big argument over this with anybody ha we're all family here

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Saw this on the Facebook page and while I knew most of this already, it was cool to have a reference point to send other people.

However, I find it hilarious that the Google ad at the bottom of this page is for an aftermarket HID company.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
it has officially been stickied!

would've thought it would've been stickied in the S&S section though but oh well
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone say something about bright blue lights?

Srsly, great thread.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaJackson
Saw this on the Facebook page and while I knew most of this already, it was cool to have a reference point to send other people.

However, I find it hilarious that the Google ad at the bottom of this page is for an aftermarket HID company.
ya...and what a steal...$49 dollars....something tells me this is high-quality!!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
ya...and what a steal...$49 dollars....something tells me this is high-quality!!
Haha, I don't know what makes some people think a p'n'p kit will make their car look as good as a legit HID system..

Let's think about this, for example, one time in my 6 month venture into an autobody shop, a customer that owned a BMW X5 was in a front end collision. When his car was ready to go after the front bumper had been replaced he'd inquired about adding 2 new headlamp assemblies to the bill on top of his deductable, to replace the existing faded and pitted units, he'd thought he could pay for them with his cash on hand. To his surprise, he discovered that one fresh headlamp assembly alone, this is without the bulbs, or the ballasts/levelling control units, was $1200 (granted he could grab like a pair of depo's for ~$500 but he wanted to use OEM equipment)

So a $49 bulb and ballast kit is gonna give an everyday car or truck that classy high end look, just like bmw's, audi's and merdcedes benz?

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Jan 13, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: having difficulties typing today.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I see tons of cars like this everyday on my way to work. Super freaking annoying to be in front of a car with these in commuter traffic let alone a lifted truck with aftermarket HID headlights AND fog lights. My question is, why aren't these guys getting tickets? With all the deficits cities are facing, seems like it would be so easy to give these guys tickets, make some bucks and knock off those chicken-$hit two miles over the speed-limit tickets so I can be on time to work so I can pay the taxes that pay your salary!!! Just sayin'. Cheers!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. I can't ****ing stand this. Not sure what all the hype about the looks of this **** either. The lights look ****ing retarded.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

I have to hand it to the jacked up diesels with HID headlights and fog lights, they can not only blind the guy ahead of him, but the guy ahead of that dude, as well as all oncoming traffic.

There's no "aiming them at the ground to make it better" for those things lol.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:15 PM

Hey there was thinking and looking don't evo's with non-hid still have projectors in the housing?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
No. They have projectors. Nothing like the pictures above.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 06:21 PM

Some advice

So I have a 2002 lancer oz rally and I'm looking for some advice about hid's. My halogen lights blow and I live in Alaska so I actually need better lighting. As of right now I've decided to buy a pair of Depo projector headlights and a digital hid kit (digital ballast), probaly 6000k I don't care about pretty colors I just want better light. I'd like to get an HID kit for my high beams as well but I've heard very mixed reviews about this. I do not need my high beams for flashing, I want them so I can actually see on late night road trips. With this in mind, would hid's work for me in the low and high beam or are high beam hid's just a bad idea? Will the projector's be efficient enough to put the hid kit into? I do not have the money to splurge on retro fits, but I can throw $300-400 into my lights (this includes a new light housing). Would this set up be efficiet or do u guys have any better advice for me? Any help would be appreciated. I've done my research but this will be my first time with hid's.
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 PM

theres alot of good information here, thanks for posting. i hope i don't come off like an idiot here but i have an 05' which are non HID's. i wanted to get HID but as you stated above if you do it wrong they look ****ing stupid. can you or anyone on here point me in the right direction on what i would need or any good kits or anything? all help is appreciated
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:56 AM

Wow, I never knew you were supposed to have a proper housing. I just ordered some HIDs, because the previous owner blacked out my headlights, and I really can't see crap driving at night. The ones I ordered are 5000k. You guys think I'll still blind people, even with blacked out headlights?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why HID's don't belong in halogen housings