Notices

Replaced FCU, fan doesnt cut on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced FCU, fan doesnt cut on

Ok so i ordered the fan controller unit and replaced it. Cut car on and still doesnt cut on. So whats another alternative? A fuse? A belt? I need to look into it so i can figure out what i need to get. Little upset i spent $80 for no reason but hey....any ideas?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuse or relay
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:43 AM

Whats the relay? Fuse could be possibly
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Did you try running the A/C? My fans don't come on until the engine gets warm, maybe mine's not working right?

anyways, fusible link #2 feeds the fan control relay, which is an the primary input to the FCU, they are next door neighbors in the relay box right in front of the front ECU. As you can see here:

Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:39 AM

Hey man i highly appreciate the diagram im gonna replace the fuse first and pray its not the fan motor itself. Anyways about ypur question i know in every other car i turned on as soon as the engine runs the fan starts going. Ive checked in nissans chevys and other cars too so i would assume something might be up with your timing. One thing ive realized though is my car has never passed a certain temp. But when im at a light, i dont even take the chance of amythimg so ill turn it off.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:41 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn lol, this is what I get for going in order while reading the new threads .......

I mentioned the same thing in the other thread
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Did you check if the AC or defogger (and hence AC) are also switched on ?

If you start a car from cold there is no reason for the fan to come on aside from the above. Honestly I do not know what the fan on our car sounds like because it runs so infrequently. (Dont blame it given that I live in a freezer)

Originally Posted by trilogy21skins
Hey man i highly appreciate the diagram im gonna replace the fuse first and pray its not the fan motor itself. Anyways about ypur question i know in every other car i turned on as soon as the engine runs the fan starts going. Ive checked in nissans chevys and other cars too so i would assume something might be up with your timing. One thing ive realized though is my car has never passed a certain temp. But when im at a light, i dont even take the chance of amythimg so ill turn it off.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Look into the fuse, aswell as test the fan motor...put 12v directly to it and see it it turns on. If it does and the fuse it okay, try the temp sensor. If it's not readying properly, or working at all it won't send the signal to the ecu to turn the fan on.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:28 AM

Lanzer to answer ya question from the other thread, i disconnected the red cable not both of them from the battery. @2006ra; why would every other cars radiator fan turn on automatically? It should automatically turn on as soon as you start the car. Well thats just my opinion but every other car ive driven has done if. I checked to see all the work cars and fan turns on so i dont believe its a "doesnt turn til the engine warms up" type thing, ya know? But will def try the temp sensor as well. Anybody have any idea where thats at?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

The fan turns on to cool the engine when the coolant temperature sensor, usually someplace in the water jacket or its plumbing signals the coolant temperature has risen to that predefined point.

If the first time a car is started from cold and the neither the AC nor the defogger is on and the fan runs then there is a problem with that car regardless of make.

The same way a fan may not run at all due to a bad FCM, coolant temperature sensor or fan relay, the fan can run constantly due to a faulty component as well. Been there, done that with a faulty coolant temperature sensor on another car.

Think about this, the engine has a thermostat which inhibits the flow of coolant until it warms up.
Why then have the fan on constantly during this phase when the thermostat is closed ?
The two components would be working against each other.

Roblaza has made really good suggestions on trouble shooting.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM.