Notices

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering fluid

yes!!!! I did search about this before do this thread.

My power steering fluid is in the minimum line. Can I just add any other brand or I need to flush it and use the new one?
Old May 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Has it ever been flushed?

I flushed mine once and put in OEM fluid from mitsu but anything with OEM specifications will do. I would flush it depending on the mileage if its never been done but just refilling would do.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by $MIVEC$
Has it ever been flushed?

I flushed mine once and put in OEM fluid from mitsu but anything with OEM specifications will do. I would flush it depending on the mileage if its never been done but just refilling would do.
i have to flush it

But get the OEM Fluid here is a PITA, I will call Monday morning to my nearest dealership and see how much they want for the bottle.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

You could just get the brand you trust with the correct fluid specification and it will do...I just go to my nearest dealership parts store since their fluids are not expensive....meh im just a freak with maintenance schedule and fluids
Old May 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
in the manual it specifies OEM fluid only, or it could cause damage to the system, and i did read somewhere that regular power steering fluid, like prestone or whatever eats your seals...our OEM fluid looks a lot like automatic transmission fluid and lots of cars actually use it in the system...but better safe than sorry, i used OEM when i replace my pump...
Old May 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
in the manual it specifies OEM fluid only, or it could cause damage to the system, and i did read somewhere that regular power steering fluid, like prestone or whatever eats your seals...our OEM fluid looks a lot like automatic transmission fluid and lots of cars actually use it in the system...but better safe than sorry, i used OEM when i replace my pump...
Actually aftet looking this up, you are correct some posts here say to add ATF fluid for the Power Steering in lancers

Well scratch the Auto Parts stuff. Just go get OEM fluid....its better to be safe than sorry
Old May 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I used ATF in all my cars power steering system with no problem ever. All the manuals said to use OEM fluids only, what else could they say? Please use fluids that come from anywhere else?? :P

Old May 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
I used ATF in all my cars power steering system with no problem ever. All the manuals said to use OEM fluids only, what else could they say? Please use fluids that come from anywhere else?? :P

mitsubishi actually specifies when a non-OEM fluid is safe to use, and they provide the specification...for power steering the say OEM only, but ATF will work...
Old May 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
mitsubishi actually specifies when a non-OEM fluid is safe to use, and they provide the specification...for power steering the say OEM only, but ATF will work...
His post made me look in the manual and yeah you are correct

As we all thought you can use what ever we want. The words the manual uses are Recomended OEM fluid or "Equivalent".

Of course they will vouch for their products but DOT and SAE specifications are for something aren't they....

What is true is that Brake Fluid, Oil, Coolant, Gear oil and ATF fluids all have recommended OEM fluids and equivalent suggestions but Power Steering fluid they only recommend OEM fluid.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Gonna revive this for a second
Just checked my fluid and its brown and below minimum. Gonna do the flush but the question is how much fluid does the power steering pump hold in total? Ima do a full flush and refill.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

not sure, when i serviced mine i remember using at least a quart...
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:20 AM

What kind of fluid (specification) may i use to replace power steering fluid ?