Notices

04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"1g RA" True that, Crans. When I bought my RA new in '06 the salesman informed me that the evo would never be coming to Canada, and also at the time the basic Subaru WRX was about $10k more all-in - yikes. If there was a 1G RA available for $5k more I would have grabbed it. I recall the Chev Cobalt SS supercharged and Neon SRT4 were available for about the price of the sun 'n sound RA. I drove the SS and it had great straight line pace but untrustworthy cornering manners (don't ask). I didn't even try the Neon. After a couple of test drives, the RA just struck me as an excellent balance of what I wanted a car for.

As it is, I'm still real happy and haven't finished modding or learning. At the track it does very well in the rain, mostly keeps pace in dry handling sections, but loses major ground on straights to, well, pretty much everything else out there. I try not to think about another 100 hp, and don't want to start to like Cranswicks too much (like fantasizing about Gloria in Modern Family?).

Life is good today. The wife is focusing on other things besides how I'm spending my time. Gotta go fabricate a bracket for the trunk battery fuse, and enjoy a couple
Old Feb 23, 2014, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Olympic Hockey:

Old Feb 23, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booooo... U...S...A! U...S...A! hehee...congrats, eh!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kapitolralliart
booooo... U...S...A! U...S...A! hehee...congrats, eh!
lol, team USA steam rolled their pool, no one could stop them, on the other side Canada barely won all of their games, they could barely even beat Latvia...I was a little worried going into the USA game in the semis, but Canada'a defense was pretty solid, guys like Kane and Kessel couldn't even get things going. I think the loss to Canada broke their spirits, cause the bronze medal game against Finland was just sad...

At least Crosby and Kunitz finally did something in the gold medal game...I think the whole country expected a little more from those two...

Let's not forget the Ladies! That comeback was of epic proportions...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 24, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Aha! So THIS is where all the attention is! How come nobody let me in on this little secret? I was wondering why its been so quiet on the other threads.

I think my rack and pinion is taking a dump...anyone else experience this being turbocharged?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Crans, my wife is from the Visayan province of the PI and fortunately no family was affected by the storms. I actually perused the internet to see if I could become part of a civilian relief effort but changed my mind, for to be on foot in a GINORMOUS effort like this is chaotic to say the least. Oorah to your part in it...hope you had a bit of fun.

Yeah, the U.S. military has some pretty exotic, high-speed toys don't they? Although a small part, and not too technical, I got to get some hands-on experience with some of it in Iraq, ie; launched 81mm mortars, 60mm mortars with a hand held launcher, fired a handful of rounds from a Barrett 50mm Sniper rifle, as well as from a 240G machine gun and a confiscated AK47...overnighted with snipers using their IR & NV binos then extracted in LAV's, and was educated on the Army's high-speed system that located the point-of-origin (POO) and point-of-impact (POI) of incoming and outgoing mortars and rockets, by triangulating using sound, which they left for us on our roof tops... pretty impressive!

Last edited by truthdweller; Feb 24, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I think my rack and pinion is taking a dump...anyone else experience this being turbocharged?
nope...were you doing donuts? lol, cause full lock at high rpm will roast your pump, I know from experience

Crans, my wife is from the Visayan province of the PI and fortunately no family was affected by the storms. I actually perused the internet to see if I could become part of a civilian relief effort but changed my mind, for to be on foot in a GINORMOUS effort like this is chaotic to say the least. Oorah to your part in it...hope you had a bit of fun.
We transported a bunch of civilians, including some freelance journalists...they had to stay on the plane the whole way there. CFB Trenton to Hickam Field (11 hours), Hickam Field to Anderson AFB (8 hours), Anderson AFB to Philippines (4 hours). Now that's not including time on the ground, it take about an hour or two to refuel, and swap crews. the Flight home, I racked out under a chopper

Yeah, the U.S. military has some pretty exotic, high-speed toys don't they? Although a small part, and not too technical, I got to get some hands-on experience with some of it in Iraq, ie; launched 81mm mortars, 60mm mortars with a hand held launcher, fired a handful of rounds from a Barrett 50mm Sniper rifle, as well as from a 240G machine gun and a confiscated AK47...overnighted with snipers using their IR & NV binos then extracted in LAV's, and was educated on the Army's high-speed system that located the point-of-origin (POO) and point-of-impact (POI) of incoming and outgoing mortars and rockets, by triangulating using sound, which they left for us on our roof tops... pretty impressive!
You've definitely had way more excitement than I probably ever will in my career.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
nope...were you doing donuts? lol, cause full lock at high rpm will roast your pump, I know from experience

nope, and what bothers me is that Brent doesn't seem to experience some of the issues I'm having and that makes me think that I might be chasing the wrong diagnosis.

We transported a bunch of civilians, including some freelance journalists...they had to stay on the plane the whole way there. CFB Trenton to Hickam Field (11 hours), Hickam Field to Anderson AFB (8 hours), Anderson AFB to Philippines (4 hours). Now that's not including time on the ground, it take about an hour or two to refuel, and swap crews. the Flight home, I racked out under a chopper
"I racked out under a chopper"....classic! I had to re-read that and finally got a visual, lol! As far as hours in the air, I don't envy you AT ALL! Been there, done that on civilian flights to the PI, Thailand, and Nepal, but not working, UGH! Flight physiology takes it's TOLL that's for sure. Most people just don't know! I flew as a flight Paramedic in a double prop Cessna and Mitsubishi Turbo Prop and remember being so WASTED after just eight hours in the air. Drink, drink drink!

You've definitely had way more excitement than I probably ever will in my career.
Don't say "ever" for you never know what'll present itself in the military, as you know, "there's always exceptions." And you're still young, chapters of your life are still to unfold...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

nope, and what bothers me is that Brent doesn't seem to experience some of the issues I'm having and that makes me think that I might be chasing the wrong diagnosis.
what are the symptoms?

"I racked out under a chopper"....classic! I had to re-read that and finally got a visual, lol! As far as hours in the air, I don't envy you AT ALL! Been there, done that on civilian flights to the PI, Thailand, and Nepal, but not working, UGH! Flight physiology takes it's TOLL that's for sure. Most people just don't know! I flew as a flight Paramedic in a double prop Cessna and Mitsubishi Turbo Prop and remember being so WASTED after just eight hours in the air. Drink, drink drink!
yeah, well between Hickam Field and Anderson AFB is 8 hours in the air, but 20 hours time difference (Zulu +10 vs Zulu -10), I did that 4 times in 10 days...when I got home it took a full two weeks to get my body clock back on track. the beauty of military cargo aircraft, is you're not confined to a seat...you can stretch out on the floor, make a bed out of cardboard across several sidewall seats, you could sleep on top of cargo, or even hang a hammock between cargo! a bed roll is quicker to set up and tear down.

Don't say "ever" for you never know what'll present itself in the military, as you know, "there's always exceptions." And you're still young, chapters of your life are still to unfold...
yes, I suppose...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 26, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Well it was starting to warm up around here. But then I wake up this morning and we are in the teens again... Spring why you tease me so? lol
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Somebody save me PLEASE!!!

Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Why does the ad say 2013 Evo VIII? thats all sorts of wrong for that car... lmao
Old Mar 6, 2014, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

thats cheap someone should jump on it for that price
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

you can buy fairly minty Evo VIII's for that price...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread