04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jEnNaCiDe
Looking for EVERYTHING.
Parts. Info. Forums. Facebook groups.
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Sportback (wagon). Color: Lightning Yellow. Previous owner smashed the corners up a good bit.
This is the place to learn. The Ralliart forum is a remarkable resource, you won't find better. And the members here have accomplished everything you can think of to do to your RA, it's actually quite stunning. I've been here for years and still re-read through many of their projects so I keep learning new things.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jcmaz
For those of you with Hackish's reflash or UDP, did you get better fuel economy than before? Is there an option with the reflash to use only 87 octane fuel?

Im tuned with MMC/ECU flash. I noticed better gas mileage on the highway. But even when Im driving it hard I never get less than 20mpg.

When I put in my UDP it seemed like the car would raise in revs a bit faster therefore getting me into mivec sooner. Ive actually deleted balance shafts now and added crank scrappers along with my UDP and I have my mivec engagment raised to 4000rpm instead of 3500.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@truthdweller: My Ralliart isn't turbocharged but its great to know that you can get good fuel economy with a turbo. For your reference, I get around 9km/L in the city which is roughly 21mpg.

@RallliartN, mine only has Injen SRI in the winter and CAI in the summer. The rest of the mods are all suspension related (coilovers, rear sway bar etc...). My car isn't tuned, but I was contemplating on getting a reflash for better fuel economy. My fuel economy drops to around 7km/L or 17mpg every couple tanks of gas and I don't drive it hard. It's frustrating to be honest.

I wish it was a couple pennies more for 91 here in the Lower Mainland. Currently, 87 is around 1.03$ a litre and 91 is close to 1.20$ a litre.

I'm pretty interested in the pulley from RRE since they have a dyno sheet available. Plus I think the serpentine belt needs to be changed.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

If your getting 17mpg it actually sounds like you have other issues than needing a tune. Is the car up to date on all it maintenance? spark plugs, fuel pump/filter, air filter? you could also try running some seafoam through it to try cleaning out the intake manifold and cylinders. How many miles are on the car.

17 just doesnt sound right. I get 22-23 on average, and often 30 if mostly highway driving. And it was close to that without a tune.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey guys! It’s been a while huh. Happy 2016! My Ralliart now has ~296k km and he’s still running like a champ. Been doing a lot of maintenance lately and I know I haven’t been posting a lot as I squeeze all free time that I can into putting work on Tramp (my RA).

Lots of my parts are now on-hand including: timing belt kit, clutch kit, clutch slave cylinder, engine & oil gaskets, inner/outer tie rod ends, front & rear struts and many more. Just can’t find the time recently to put in the work.

It’s been too crazy here at work and it’s just consuming my time especially working long hours. But you know what? I’m just happy to be blessed with what I have and I’m so thankful that Tramp is still in great running condition.

These two things are the biggest issues I have with Tramp: MY TRANSMISSION (been too long…) & RUST (as I don’t park in a garage since my 1993 Jeep Cherokee has been sitting in the garage for years).

Hopefully I can get all of these straightened out and then I can move on to bigger better things like MODS lol. For now, I just want Tramp to maintain the foundation to last as long as life takes him.

Hope you guys enjoyed my little story here. Take care!

#RalliartLife
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Sea foam has been one of the few things that I have also been considering to clean up my system. I've done research on it and it has been very positive so far.

I get roughly 500 km with each full tank of gas (50L) which is 10km/L with mixed driving (hwy & city combined). I think those are normal numbers for a 2004 RA with 296k km stock right?

@jcmaz: Make sure you check for vacuum leaks in your system and also check your brakes and adjust accordingly. You don't want your pads to be constantly rubbing against your rotors as that's one of the few things that I've read about that can screw your fuel economy.

Hope that helps! Cheers brother!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Im back on the boost grid! Sensor was bad after all.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats man! You found the culprit!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty interested in the pulley from RRE since they have a dyno sheet available. Plus I think the serpentine belt needs to be changed.
Find this if it's still out there...it's been on mine since 2012:

Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

I found it on a Chinese (Taiwan) website fur $100, but not sure how to navigate/purchase on it: http://www.lbj.tw/BJ/Query.aspx?k=Gr...n+-+2.4+pulley
Old Feb 25, 2016, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Nah your fine. Im honestly about to make a thread for it here in the RA group... The Evo 8/9 crowd are pretty stiff...

Im pretty much waiting on the weather to break so I can get out there and work on it. I have all the parts now I just have to do all the work to put it all together. Going ahead with the balance shaft delete so I have to get the front case off to finish that. Ive already deleted all the EGR stuff and plugged up the intake manifold. I rebuilt my turbo but i think the heat shield behind the turbine is too big or something. It doesnt quite fit back into the housing... Also discovered the car had Tomei cams, and Evo 8 pistons for some reason. Bottom end is stock though...

IDK... its been a journey for sure. I'll be happy to get it all back together. I miss it bad.

How's your X doing?
Thanks for the update! Hope to see you up at the Shootout this year.

My Evo has been sitting since Thanksgiving. Parked it for the winter and haven't touched it. I just got some AMS oil and a ETS Intake. Going to do those in the next few weeks and then get her running again. I miss mine so much too, lol I have been so tempted to fire it up and drive it just not a fan of all the salt up in Ohio.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

LOL So youve not had yours since Thanksgiving either. What are you dailying? You still have the RA?

Ive learned a new appreciation for the simplicity of the RA's engine bay. The evo has been a bit tougher to work on. Had to remove the power steering pump and bracket (separately mind you...) so that I could remove the timing belt idler pulley because the bracket covers up half of it. Then the transfer case doesnt allow the engine to drop as low so I had a time wrestling the front case off of the engine.

As for my RA it needs an oil change, a good cleaning inside and out, and apparently some brake work done... You get one fixed and the other wants attention... LOL
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
If your getting 17mpg it actually sounds like you have other issues than needing a tune. Is the car up to date on all it maintenance?
^^ this for sure. Also, in my experience, a bum oxygen sensor really lowers mileage. Do you have a check engine light on?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

rzrxn, I like how you think, you look at the bright side - you're earning bucks! Then when you get that well-deserved break to work on the RA it will feel that much sweeter. I've got some nice little projects that are waiting, soon I'll vanish from normal existance for a few days while I "do" the RA, and take a few pics and post.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
rzrxn, I like how you think, you look at the bright side - you're earning bucks! Then when you get that well-deserved break to work on the RA it will feel that much sweeter. I've got some nice little projects that are waiting, soon I'll vanish from normal existance for a few days while I "do" the RA, and take a few pics and post.
Hahaha! Thanks man! I've always been the optimistic type of guy lol. I try not to let the negatives weigh me down but instead let the positives lift my spirits up. I just can't wait to 'vanish & do" my RA too. It's been a long time coming. This summer will be dedicated to Tramp. It's going to be a blast and I will really try my best to make my way over to you and Garrett so we can finally have that get-together we have been planning for a while. Can't wait to read up on the work you will be doing on your RA. Take care! Cheers

Quick Reply: 04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread