Notices

Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights not working

I have a 2005 lancer ralliart 5-spd.

When I step on my brakes, my left and right brake lights do not work, however my third brake light on the spoiler is lighting up. I proceeded to check all the bulbs which all light up and work fine. When I turn on my night time lights all tail lights are on as well.

I was thinking perhaps it could be my brake light switch but if I'm not mistaken that wouldn't be it considering the 3rd brake light works? I could be wrong and I was hoping someone could help me out!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jpb123
I have a 2005 lancer ralliart 5-spd.

When I step on my brakes, my left and right brake lights do not work, however my third brake light on the spoiler is lighting up. I proceeded to check all the bulbs which all light up and work fine. When I turn on my night time lights all tail lights are on as well.

I was thinking perhaps it could be my brake light switch but if I'm not mistaken that wouldn't be it considering the 3rd brake light works? I could be wrong and I was hoping someone could help me out!
I have exactly the same problem, can someone help us please.

I took the brake light switch out, and when I press the brakes the third light doesn't work anymore. I don't think is the brake light switch, I think is something else. Fuses are good, when I turn on my night time lights the bigger bulbs work, but not the smaller next to it doesn't. The small ones are the ones that suppose to work once you press the brakes, please help me.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not clear to me if you guys replaced the brake light bulbs.
I am not sure how Jpb123 checked their bulbs either.

If the bulbs have been replaced to no avail, then get a multimeter, have someone press the brake pedal and check the voltage at the bulb socket.
Post and let us know the results please.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:50 AM

Ok, I replaced the bulbs, still no light when I press the brakes. The only difference now is when I turn on the headlights, now both of them turn on, the big bulb and the little bulb, but still when I press the brake pedal I dont get no light.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, have someone press the brake pedal and check the voltage at the bulb socket with a multimeter or similar.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:38 AM

Do you think it could be the brake light switch, or since the third brake like works when I press the brakes then the brake light switch is out of the question??? I am the first owner of the car, I can't see why any connections or ground should be out of place. I dont have a multimeter, anywhere I can buy one for cheap?? Thank you for your help
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

If the middle light works I would not suspect the switch.
Having said that anything is possible, so you can check it.

Harbor Freight, Radio Shack, Home Depot etc. It doesn't need to be expensive, the cheapest one will be plenty. Mine was $10 and it's been perfect 12 years on.

You're the 1st owner and only joined yesterday ?
I'll say welcome for now and let the other guys deal with you
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
If the middle light works I would not suspect the switch.
Having said that anything is possible, so you can check it.

Harbor Freight, Radio Shack, Home Depot etc. It doesn't need to be expensive, the cheapest one will be plenty. Mine was $10 and it's been perfect 12 years on.

You're the 1st owner and only joined yesterday ?
I'll say welcome for now and let the other guys deal with you
Haha, this is my first time I have a weird problem with my car (159,000 miles and counting). I thought those multimeters were in the $200 price range, they sound fancy lol. I will buy one and let you know the outcome.