Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :( - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community



Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 29, 2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Drives: 2004 Lancer Ralliart

I sold my Ralliart this weekend, bought an 05 Subaru Outback XT.

It is amazing.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Evolving Member
 
SilentCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 328
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwilliams44 View Post
I sold my Ralliart this weekend, bought an 05 Subaru Outback XT.

It is amazing.
Awesome! I was considering one of those at one point - needed the trunk space. I became discouraged after reading up about the 2.5 turbo failure & didn't like the rear leg room space (on paper). Do you have any pics of the car? I know I may be asking for a lot but also, are there any pics with a child seat in there?

Congrats on the purchase.

Last edited by SilentCool; Sep 30, 2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added a line
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Drives: 2004 Lancer Ralliart

I will get some pictures today, the turbo failure is called by a banjo bolt filter. You just take the filter out and make sure you change the oil every 3750 miles. 30 minute fix. The filter is there to prevent debris from entering the Turbo, but that would only happen if you go way past or consistently past your oil service point. The one I bought still has the filter and original turbo, and I just rolled over 143,000 miles.

As far as leg room goes, I can fit in the back seat with the front seat all the way back (remember that I am 6' 7"), but slightly uncomfortable. As long as the front seats are a little forward, it's fine. The rear headroom is a little bit low though. I have road tripped in the back of one of these before just fine. Plus I averaged 25 MPG with 5 people in the car for 350 miles yesterday.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:54 AM   #19
Evolved Member
iTrader: (5)
 
CrAnSwIcK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts

Drives: 2006 Lancer Ralliart, 2008 Mazda 5 GT

I wonder why they filter the oil feed...the engine has an oil filter for that exact purpose...to prevent debris from being anywhere in the engine except the bottom on the pan...it's the irony of it causing failures that gets me...
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:27 PM   #20
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Drives: 2004 Lancer Ralliart

My thoughts exactly, its designed to prevent turbo failure from debris. But the slightest bits of debris plug the filter, and starve it of oil. And then it's toast.

My car has the all black leather interior which is somewhat hard to find.

Picture 1: Driver seat all the way forward, Passenger all the way back.
Picture 2: Front Seats all the way back.
Picture 3: Me behind driver seat all the way back
Picture 4: Same but seat forard (6" of room)
Attached Thumbnails
Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1073.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1074.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1071.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1072.jpg  
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 01:20 PM   #21
Evolving Member
 
SilentCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 328
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwilliams44 View Post
I will get some pictures today, the turbo failure is called by a banjo bolt filter. You just take the filter out and make sure you change the oil every 3750 miles. 30 minute fix. The filter is there to prevent debris from entering the Turbo, but that would only happen if you go way past or consistently past your oil service point. The one I bought still has the filter and original turbo, and I just rolled over 143,000 miles.

As far as leg room goes, I can fit in the back seat with the front seat all the way back (remember that I am 6' 7"), but slightly uncomfortable. As long as the front seats are a little forward, it's fine. The rear headroom is a little bit low though. I have road tripped in the back of one of these before just fine. Plus I averaged 25 MPG with 5 people in the car for 350 miles yesterday.

You are correct about the banjo bolt filter causing the turbo failure, however, I have just seen too many threads over at LegacyGT about it that I stopped searching. That & the constant "this car will cost a lot to maintain" comments did my head in!

Anyways, thank you for the pics, looks way better than expected. Actually, it looks about/a little above average especially given the fact that you're about 6'7"

Enjoy the car, it must be a blast to drive! It looks like you have the Limited trim. Nice find.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:19 PM   #22
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Drives: 2004 Lancer Ralliart

Yeah, Subaru is always a lot to maintain especially the Turbo models. It's silly how sensitive they are. If I wasn't moving I would have kept the Ralliart and the truck. It's pretty fun to drive, just have to be careful on corners I got pretty lucky on the trim, I went to the dealership to pick up some plastic clips I broke and came out to a swarm of their salesmen gawking over the car lol. Made me feel special.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2016, 07:24 AM   #23
Evolving Member
 
SilentCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 328
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwilliams44 View Post
Yeah, Subaru is always a lot to maintain especially the Turbo models. It's silly how sensitive they are. If I wasn't moving I would have kept the Ralliart and the truck. It's pretty fun to drive, just have to be careful on corners I got pretty lucky on the trim, I went to the dealership to pick up some plastic clips I broke and came out to a swarm of their salesmen gawking over the car lol. Made me feel special.
I have always heard that the limited wagons were rare, especially with the manual transmission. You have a gem on your hands
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:37 PM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 04 Ralliart

From your short list.. the Subbie hands down.. and for newer ones if you want better in the long run go for the Xi not XT and get the stick shift.. then turbo the stock motor (low boost) or swap in the OEM EVO 2.0L which can be done fairly easily.. with a lil tweaking the Forester can be one vicious lil sleeper to say the least. (Or if you have to have auto the CVT tranny XT is best)

I'm hunting for an 2010+ forester right now in manual esp now with toddler devil child.. (I'm too old for this crap! argh)
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holy **** this thing is fast! mshilto89 EvoM Newbie / FAQs Forum 18 Nov 21, 2014 07:12 AM
Sad day at AMS today....saying goodbye to a dear 4 legged friend. [email protected] Automotosports - Illinois 9 Oct 1, 2013 03:00 PM
South Coast Mitsubishi *bad review* andy5notarobot Vendor Service, Parts & Tuning Review 27 May 15, 2013 12:08 PM
So... hotrod2448 The Back Room 37 Sep 8, 2011 08:32 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww Hellraiser New Off-Topic 6 Mar 23, 2004 10:56 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: