Notices

Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sold my Ralliart this weekend, bought an 05 Subaru Outback XT.

It is amazing.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lbwilliams44
I sold my Ralliart this weekend, bought an 05 Subaru Outback XT.

It is amazing.
Awesome! I was considering one of those at one point - needed the trunk space. I became discouraged after reading up about the 2.5 turbo failure & didn't like the rear leg room space (on paper). Do you have any pics of the car? I know I may be asking for a lot but also, are there any pics with a child seat in there?

Congrats on the purchase.

Last edited by SilentCool; Sep 30, 2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added a line
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

I will get some pictures today, the turbo failure is called by a banjo bolt filter. You just take the filter out and make sure you change the oil every 3750 miles. 30 minute fix. The filter is there to prevent debris from entering the Turbo, but that would only happen if you go way past or consistently past your oil service point. The one I bought still has the filter and original turbo, and I just rolled over 143,000 miles.

As far as leg room goes, I can fit in the back seat with the front seat all the way back (remember that I am 6' 7"), but slightly uncomfortable. As long as the front seats are a little forward, it's fine. The rear headroom is a little bit low though. I have road tripped in the back of one of these before just fine. Plus I averaged 25 MPG with 5 people in the car for 350 miles yesterday.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I wonder why they filter the oil feed...the engine has an oil filter for that exact purpose...to prevent debris from being anywhere in the engine except the bottom on the pan...it's the irony of it causing failures that gets me...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

My thoughts exactly, its designed to prevent turbo failure from debris. But the slightest bits of debris plug the filter, and starve it of oil. And then it's toast.

My car has the all black leather interior which is somewhat hard to find.

Picture 1: Driver seat all the way forward, Passenger all the way back.
Picture 2: Front Seats all the way back.
Picture 3: Me behind driver seat all the way back
Picture 4: Same but seat forard (6" of room)
Attached Thumbnails Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1073.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1074.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1071.jpg   Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(-img_1072.jpg  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I will get some pictures today, the turbo failure is called by a banjo bolt filter. You just take the filter out and make sure you change the oil every 3750 miles. 30 minute fix. The filter is there to prevent debris from entering the Turbo, but that would only happen if you go way past or consistently past your oil service point. The one I bought still has the filter and original turbo, and I just rolled over 143,000 miles.

As far as leg room goes, I can fit in the back seat with the front seat all the way back (remember that I am 6' 7"), but slightly uncomfortable. As long as the front seats are a little forward, it's fine. The rear headroom is a little bit low though. I have road tripped in the back of one of these before just fine. Plus I averaged 25 MPG with 5 people in the car for 350 miles yesterday.

You are correct about the banjo bolt filter causing the turbo failure, however, I have just seen too many threads over at LegacyGT about it that I stopped searching. That & the constant "this car will cost a lot to maintain" comments did my head in!

Anyways, thank you for the pics, looks way better than expected. Actually, it looks about/a little above average especially given the fact that you're about 6'7"

Enjoy the car, it must be a blast to drive! It looks like you have the Limited trim. Nice find.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, Subaru is always a lot to maintain especially the Turbo models. It's silly how sensitive they are. If I wasn't moving I would have kept the Ralliart and the truck. It's pretty fun to drive, just have to be careful on corners I got pretty lucky on the trim, I went to the dealership to pick up some plastic clips I broke and came out to a swarm of their salesmen gawking over the car lol. Made me feel special.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

Yeah, Subaru is always a lot to maintain especially the Turbo models. It's silly how sensitive they are. If I wasn't moving I would have kept the Ralliart and the truck. It's pretty fun to drive, just have to be careful on corners I got pretty lucky on the trim, I went to the dealership to pick up some plastic clips I broke and came out to a swarm of their salesmen gawking over the car lol. Made me feel special.
I have always heard that the limited wagons were rare, especially with the manual transmission. You have a gem on your hands
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From your short list.. the Subbie hands down.. and for newer ones if you want better in the long run go for the Xi not XT and get the stick shift.. then turbo the stock motor (low boost) or swap in the OEM EVO 2.0L which can be done fairly easily.. with a lil tweaking the Forester can be one vicious lil sleeper to say the least. (Or if you have to have auto the CVT tranny XT is best)

I'm hunting for an 2010+ forester right now in manual esp now with toddler devil child.. (I'm too old for this crap! argh)