Notices

Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(

With a heavy heart, I think it might finally be time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart. I've had her for 10 years and have had ridiculous amounts of fun shocking silly teenagers that this "mom in a sedan" can dust them off the line and around on-ramps.

However, between the increasing issues (some small, some not so small), my needs changing (my 9 month old daughter in her ENORMOUS car seat and my 6'4" husband have to fit in the same car for commute reasons), plus we'll probably have another child in the next year... it's time to replace my Ralliart with something a bit more... family sized. Read: something that will fit two rear-facing car seats and a husband.

Sigh.

I have dragged my husband and the aforementioned car seat to fit-test every car I could think of that fits the above criteria and isn't totally gutless/squishy. I have come to terms that these cars aren't going to be the same kind of driving experience as the Ralliart - maybe after a few years and the kiddos are out of car seats, I can get my urban rally car again.

So what to get to replace her? Any thoughts/suggestions on a replacement trying-not-to-be-such-a-mom car? These are current list-toppers:
- Subaru Forester XT
- Hyundai Tucson Sport
- Ford Escape Titanium

Carseat+husband does not fit in the Ford Focus ST, VW GTI, or the Mazda CX-5, and we really can't afford anything like a Macan or Cayenne...

On another note, I have to say I've been spoiled for 10 years of having a such a great resource in this forum and community for any and all questions that have come up. It will be sorely missed
The following users liked this post:
bakuro117 (Jun 15, 2016)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that feeling! I considered the following on my journey.

- Subaru Forester
- Ford Escape
- Ford Edge
- Nissan Murano
- Volvo XC60
- Infiniti FX35

All of these are under $15k which was what I was comfortable spending.

I didn't get either of those! Decided to get something with a 3rd row instead but still small. As a full time Dad of 4 kids, I didn't want my oldest kid riding shotgun all the time.

I was looking at (also under $15k):
- Chrysler Pacifica, Touring edition, AWD 4.0L v6, shiftable 6 speed automatic
- Ford Flex, Limited Edition, AWD 3.5L twin turbo v6, 6 speed automatic

I opted for the SEL version of the Flex. Didn't break the bank (able to keep the Ralliart) and it gets up pretty good, not too squishy. It came with a built in fridge as well!!

Of all the test drives, I enjoyed the Pacifica, Flex and FX35 the most.

Good luck with your search!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if I remember correctly, the least expensive that has a turbo, and AWD drivetrain is the ecoboost escape...the forester is a very nice vehicle as well, but they are a bit pricey for what you're getting...Hyundai is not cheap anymore either...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Import and Evo Wagon!

lol in all seriousness its a sad day when you have to think about getting rid of your ralliart... I hate that feeling. As far as suggestions from me. There are a few subaru models that look sporty but are still pretty much a roomy SUV. I'd look into them.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:50 AM

Yeah, after test driving the Hyundai Tucson Sport and the Subaru Forester XT back to back last night, the Subaru is the clear winner. The Tucson was surprisingly sluggish/heavy off the line, and even with the DCT, didn't seem to want to shift aggressively when you put your foot in it.

I have to hand it to Subaru - their computer-programmed-CVT did a good job of shifting quickly and appropriately based on how I was driving, and that thing will GO off the line if/when you want it to!

That said, as exciting as getting another car is, I will mourn my Ralliart. There is something about having a relatively nondescript sedan surprise the stuffing out of hot rods when I pull away from them on windy highways. I just have to tell myself it's only for a few years, right??
Old Jun 16, 2016, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

it wouldn't be wise to come back to such a dated platform...some much better than the current generation ralliart will probably exist...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
it wouldn't be wise to come back to such a dated platform...some much better than the current generation ralliart will probably exist...
I agree, I really like my 04 Ralliart, but wouldn't buy another one. If I had to replace it with something cheap from the same generation I would buy a Focus SVT (my two kids are out of the car seats, and we have a van for the family vehicle).

For a newer, larger car, I would love a Flex. The problem for me is that I need to stay in the 4-6000 range when I buy. Cash only, and I don't have that much of it!

Good luck with the Subie!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As a 6' 7" man, I would suggest the Forester XT or Legacy GT. They are amazing cars, especially if live near the mountains there. Plus in CA Subarus are pretty cheap, unlike WA and OR.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I say this because I will be getting one of those two next. I hike/hunt a lot, and the Ralliart can't get me anywhere/comes across a little bit juvenile to my customers lol. Subaru does a great job of making a fun car with lots of utility value. But they are pretty inefficient and can be a little more costly to maintain and repair.

But the Ralliart sure does make those paved forestry roads a whole lot of fun...

The EcoBoost Fords are great as well, I drove a Lariat F150 around half of last year which was really fun. But it had to be served a couple of times and it had less than 100k on it.

Hyundai makes an invincible car, my brother drove a 94 Accent off the lot and still has it with no major issues.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

dude, you're 6'7" and drive a lancer...lol, holy ****...

can't go wrong with a Subaru, they did a lot of things right, that Mitsubishi did wrong at the turn of the century...

I've got an 05 ford ranger project I've yet to start for my off-road/hunting needs...i'll be into another lancer after this one, only it'll be an Evo.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

dude, you're 6'7" and drive a lancer...lol, holy ****...

can't go wrong with a Subaru, they did a lot of things right, that Mitsubishi did wrong at the turn of the century...

I've got an 05 ford ranger project I've yet to start for my off-road/hunting needs...i'll be into another lancer after this one, only it'll be an Evo.
on the EVO, thinking any particular one?

And yes, I get funny looks and questions getting out of small cars lol. I have about a 1/2" clearance between my head and the roof of most Mitsubishi cars.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lbwilliams44
on the EVO, thinking any particular one?

And yes, I get funny looks and questions getting out of small cars lol. I have about a 1/2" clearance between my head and the roof of most Mitsubishi cars.
My plan is to swap a jdm Evo 7 into a usdm Evo 8 chassis.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No one mentioned the Outlander. Probably take a look at those. I actually think they're pretty decent, Although I prefer the second generation.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilentCool
No one mentioned the Outlander. Probably take a look at those. I actually think they're pretty decent, Although I prefer the second generation.
No turbo...small displacement turbocharged engine is the way to go...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No turbo...small displacement turbocharged engine is the way to go...
Got it, didn't realize that a turbocharged engine was a criteria.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to my 04 Ralliart :(