Notices

New to the Ralliart Life

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to the Ralliart Life

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, I recently bought myself a 2006 Ralliart 5 speed, it needs some work but for 400 dollars its worth it, I have one particular problem, my hood wont open, my friend thinks its frozen shut ( I'm Canadian and its like -35 here) but I'm positive the cable is seized, so how would one get the hood opened? my trunk latch wont move either and same with the gas door latch too....., but aside from that, its a good car
Here is some pictures of my lil project, What it needs is: A parking brake cable,Windshield,Muffler rewelded on (its a cannon ), front motor mount, starter,hole in the front right wheel well patched, front bumper, side skirt put back on, and love in genereal

Old Jan 6, 2018, 06:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard & thanks for posting

Yes, youve got a bit of a project there but im sure youll enjoy cleaning this up

Regarding the front hood. If you can see the latch bolts, I would try using an extension w/a socket & see if you can remove the latch (had to that on my EvO, after breaking the cable)

If not that, see if you can trip the latch w/a screw driver

Just a thought to try
The following users liked this post:
UBHartmann (Jan 9, 2018)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.wikihow.com/Open-the-Hood-of-a-Vehicle

That may help. This girl looks like she had a rough life. This is honestly the most beat up RA i've come across.

Solid beater build candidate though.

If the engine is strong honestly the windshield seems to be the hardest problem. Starter is easy fix.

Good luck man, would like to see pics once shes given some TLC.
UBHartmann (Jan 9, 2018)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 04:17 AM

Thanks mate I will be taking more pictures of it today and I been considering doing a progress report every now and then, shes gunna get the well deserved love she needs, my goal is to get it in the Newfoundland Targa rally that we have every year, unno if itll be done by then but im shooting for it, and also the engine seems strong, when I swapped the battery it started up no problem but my friend shut it off to adjust the seat ( even though it had snow bracing it, starter froze and failed after that, ill also do as video of it started to show what it sounds like to see if you guys can identify any wrongs in its sound
MinusPrevious (Jan 9, 2018)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:49 PM

So a little update, I took some more photos and I changed out the starter , but.......it still isnt rolling over, I took a little video of what its doing, unno really what the cause is
Video links are here:

Last edited by UBHartmann; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Photos didnt load
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Dont see the dash activating when attempting to start

Wonder if a 2nd ground from battery to chassis would be worthwhile to try (just to confirm you have a solid ground)?

Just trying to help
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:16 PM

umm I dont think i do..... I replaced the battery first, and changed the starter, nothing else so far
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:17 PM

where might the 2nd ground be? when I did the starter I disconnected the negative, and when I tried to start it in the end of that video, a click sound came from the fuse box i think....
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by UBHartmann
where might the 2nd ground be? when I did the starter I disconnected the negative, and when I tried to start it in the end of that video, a click sound came from the fuse box i think....
What i meant, was to rig up a 2nd ground as a test. Like using a jumper cable connected to the negative battery terminal & then grounding it to the engine block (just as a test)

This car certainly has some corrosion issues, so confirming a solid ground, I thought, might be a good idea
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:13 PM

ah ok, I'll try it tomorrow after work, so if it doesnt work then it sounds like ill need new posts? or ill have to check the wiring and ground n such, lol Like I said, its rough but i wanna give it the love, this is the only ralliart of this generation where I live, so Im not letting
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:12 PM

So I tried what you suggested and still the same result, the positive is a tad loose but unno if that would cause it, the posts don' t look corroded I think, it could be the Battery, I mean it' new but it sat in -30 for almost a week
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

So I tried to jump the car with help from my mazda, but still the same issue, car lights inside will flicker and thats it, I dont know if this would be the alternator, the terminals werent corroded either
Old Jan 14, 2018, 02:56 PM

so a little update on the Mitsu, turns out I did the jump start backwards lol (havent done that in years), after a minute the lights came back on, but it still wont start up, I did a lil quick video of the car still doing the issue, and a pic of the muffler

Old Jan 20, 2018, 02:57 PM

So a update on the project:
The car is now running, I bought another battery for it and it turns out I had the wrong battery , but she runs, it sounds dirty without a muffler on but ill have that rewelded on, the serpentine belt is squeaking a tiny bit so itll be replaced, clutch is really rough so that will be done too and an alignment is needed too, but were making progress!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Good deal. Glad to hear you got it running. Keep up the progress!

I would also recommend the Goodyear/Continental Gatorback serpentine belt if you can find it. Was the quietest belt I could find for my RA back in the day. Everything else would squeak or squeal at times.
UBHartmann (Jan 22, 2018)

Quick Reply: New to the Ralliart Life