EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   The Official Ralliart NOOB Thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/108090-official-ralliart-noob-thread.html)

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 11, 2004 05:55 AM

The Official Ralliart NOOB Thread

The reason I am posting this is because I have seen the same questions asked countless numbers of times. And this may help some people who just read posts and dont post anything. Here are some of the top questions I have seen and the answers to them:

1)Do they make any aftermarket taillights for our cars?

Yes, Depo now makes blacked-out tails. RRM has them.

2) Will Evo taillights fit our cars?

No

3) Do they make a header for our cars?

Yes, 4:1 header/downpipe combos are now available. See RRM for details.

4) Do they make a carbon fiber hood for our cars?

Yes. www.roadracemotorsports.com and www.body-kit.com
and www.ceriousperformance.com

5) Who makes body kits for our cars?

Accolade is the company you will hear of most of the time and it is best to review the company and the product before making a purchase. www.roadracemotorsports.com also makes a Gialla/Evo9 style kit.

6) Do they have a full suspension setup (shocks/struts and springs) available for our cars?

Any coilover for the OZ will work on the Ralliart. Tein, Nex, Ksport, and Megan Racing are the more notable companies offering coilovers. Tein, Eibach, and Progress make lowering springs.

7) Do they make a cold air intake for our cars?

Yes. www.roadracemotorsports.com sells theirs and Injen makes one. AEM also makes one but for manual only. Injen sells one for autos.

8) What is our lug configuration/setup?

5x114.3

Please anybody else who thinks I missed something, please post it. I am not flaming the people who put posts asking these questions, (as that is the only way to find out answers) this will just be a general FYI for people in the future. And for anybody who has any questions, feel free to hit me up on aim at Blkralliart04, I am always willing to help.

WoRkZ Nov 11, 2004 06:08 AM

-

I got one:

9) Will the Evo hood/trunk/whatever fit the 03/04/05 RA/ES/OZ?

Not a chance in hell, they are two different cars! Get it?!? If you're lucky, the badges might fit though... :lol:

edit- evo trunks will fit on 02-03 lancers

Myszkewicz Nov 11, 2004 12:55 PM

Don't forget to add that there are NO spark plug wires on a Ralliart. Each spark plug has a coil sitting directly on top of it.

dexterdizzle Nov 11, 2004 12:56 PM

HOW about

: Ralliart and the 04 es oz models are the same body style different engines. If a bumper is made for the ralliart it will fit the es oz and vice versa.

otter Nov 11, 2004 04:13 PM

Point out that people who want different tail lights have the option of buying the red ES/LS ones from a dealership, or trading off an '04 ES/LS.

AEM also just about has a CAI out.

Progress makes lowering springs for our car, as does EiBach. It's been proven that OZ springs fit the RA.

No, a grounding kit will not make your car faster.

Also, I believe the stock wheels have a backspacing of 42.

Any shortshifter made for the Evo will work with the Ralliart.

Finally, if you're that worried about your warranty, don't mod your car.

bruce988jl Nov 11, 2004 04:34 PM

How about the fact that (I think and may not be fully true about this) But 2004 Evo short shifters fit the Ralliart... Don't take my word for it, i read it somewhere.. Please correct me on this or confirm it...

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 11, 2004 05:40 PM

I almost forgot the biggest one of them all...

A MOD TO YOUR CAR CAN ONLY VOID THE WARRANTY IF THAT SPECIFIC MOD IS THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM So if you put on lowering springs and your alternator goes bad, since the springs have nothing to do with the alternator, you wont have any problems voiding the warranty.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 11, 2004 06:05 PM

Intake questions

Here are a couple more I though of. Since there are so few engine mods available for Ralliarts, people seem to make a lot of posts about intakes cause they are pretty much one of the very few horsepower making parts available as of now. Here are some pointers when it comes to intakes.

1) Who should I go with for CAI's? Injen? RRM? AEM? And which will provide the most gains? ( Let me mention also that the cai from AEM has not come out yet, but will soon.) In all honesty, as far as power, they are going to yield approximately the same amount of power, or in other words, not enough for you to feel anything drastic over the other. The intakes themselves are just made from different materials (which I will not get into because it isnt all that important) and the filters are different. I will not get into the specifics as this is for NOOBS. Just know that from a horsepower perspective, there is a not a noticeable difference between the three brands.

2) CAI vs SRI vs "drop in" K&N filter---I will make this short and sweet, the advantages of a cai is power, most of the time they generally make more power than an sri because the filter is relocated outside the engine bay for a cooler air flow. They also make a pretty nice noise. The disadvantages of a cai is the VERY slight chance of it ingesting water from the road and bogging the engine up, but this is so rare that I would disregard this. The advantages of an sri arent all that great, as I have one for my RA and I did not recognize a thing as far as power. The only advantages are the ease of installation :cool: and an impressive noise at around 4000 rpm's, however since they are only soaking in hot air from the engine bay, power is quite minimal. I dont even consider a drop in filter to be a power mod, since I have no experience with this item I will let somebody else comment on this, but I can tell you this much, dont expect any crazy performance gains. Overall, dont expect an intake to give you an extremely noticeable feel, it will give some, just not as much as some might anticipate.

3) Will an intake void my warranty?---Like I stated earlier, unless it is the source of the problem, no it will not.

These are just a few questions about intakes, feel free to elaborate.

otter Nov 11, 2004 06:46 PM

The choice of what brand of CAI is simple - if you live in an area where you don't need to worry about hydrolock (not a lot of rain, roads don't flood), go with the RRM one piece. If you want the option to use a bypass valve or run in short ram configuration for part of the year, buy a 2 piece from Injen or AEM. Having a hard time deciding between Injen and AEM? Buy whichever is less expensive, and there will be no major benefits between the two.

If you just want a SRI, either go with the RRM one (inexpensive and from a good company) or the RMR one (when it's released). The RMR one will come with a heat sheild, so it should be a little more resistant to heat soak, but not as much as a CAI.

fborg Nov 11, 2004 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04

8) What is our lug configuration/setup?

5x114.3

Add: Do Evo wheels fit our 04 Lancers?

No they won't fit.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 16, 2004 02:29 PM

Thought I would throw this in, here are the bulb numbers that fit our cars:

2004 MITSUBISHI Lancer

High & low beam headlamp
9007ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID: Whitest, Brightest
9007XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: Up to 20% Brighter
9007CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
9007LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts 3x longer

Parking light

Front turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light
H3-55W
H3ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID: Whitest, Brightest

License plate

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Dome light
DE3175

Trunk/Cargo area
DE3022

__________________________________________________ __

I got these off the sylvania website

WoRkZ Nov 18, 2004 06:28 AM

-

Another addition to the thread... things that have once again been asked just minutes ago!

Yes, the steering wheel from the Evo will fit the RA (notice that the Evo doesn't come with cruise sontrol, so you loose that).

Yes, the gage cluster from the Evo will fit the RA without any mods whatsoever.

-

importstylz07 Nov 18, 2004 11:46 AM

My add ons to this...
-The Evo spoiler will not fit the Ra without drilling new holes..
-The Ra spoiler will fit anyother model except the Evo..

the reason Ive posted threads on the intakes was because I wasnt sure if there were any known problems with any of them(voiding warrenties)IE (using the bypass valve on the injen cai),also I want to know wich one people think sounds better ect..Im buyin mine for the sound and look..

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 20, 2004 09:18 AM

Heres one I thought would be beneficial,

Where can I get the Evo 8 wing/spoiler?
The best place to get an Evo 7 or Evo 8 wing would have to be Ebay. If you want to go OEM and get the REAL DEAL CARBON FIBER, prepare to spend upwards of a thousand dollars from the dealership. The wings off ebay will run you about 320 painted, and about 200 primed (just an estimate). The ONLY problem with these wings is the fact that they have a tendency to "bounce" a little bit when you get up to around 50-60 mph.

otter Nov 20, 2004 12:45 PM

Heres one I thought would be beneficial,

Where can I get the Evo 8 wing/spoiler?
The best place to get an Evo 7 or Evo 8 wing would have to be Ebay. If you want one painted, get it from "exotictruck_auto". Another good vendor for Evo wings is "autoearth" but I would choose exotictruck over them (higher rating). If you want to go OEM and get the REAL DEAL CARBON FIBER, prepare to spend upwards of a thousand dollars from the dealership. The wings off ebay will run you about 320 painted, and about 200 primed (just an estimate). The ONLY problem with these wings is the fact that they have a tendency to "bounce" a little bit when you get up to around 50-60 mph.

If you want a wing that isn't flimsy, but don't want to pay a grand for the factory wing, the Accolade wings are the middleground. They aren't cheap plastic so they don't buffet in the wind, but they aren't carbon fiber and expensive.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 20, 2004 11:43 PM

Exhaust Setup

Should I go full catback or axleback or just muffler?

Lots of people seem to think that a full catback is going to make more power, and it may, but this is not ENTIRELY true. You need SOME backpressure or else you lose power. But either way, with a full catback with bigger piping, you arent going to feel any NOTICEABLE power difference. I will keep it as simple as that. I have the RRM axleback and yes it is quite expensive, like most people have stated previously in other threads, just getting a bolt on muffler and welding it to the stock piping is probably the much cheaper way to go. However, from experience, those five dollar buttfart mufflers off of Ebay, STAY AWAY from them. I had one on a previous vehicle of mine and 3 months later it literally rusted away (you get what you pay for). Get a name brand muffler if you are going to go that route. Overall, whether you get a full catback, bolt on muffler or axleback setup, dont plan on any crazy power gains (on RALLIARTS at least) from our stock engines. If I could go back in time and just got a bolt on muffler and welded it to the stock piping, I would do it in a heartbeat. But the axleback from RRM is still a great product. {thumbup}

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 24, 2004 02:58 PM

Evo vs Ralliart part fitment

I have not seen too many of these posts about which parts are the same for each car, but I thought this would be a decent addition to the thread:

What parts will fit BOTH an Evo and a Ralliart?

To make it simple, im willing to bet that our interiors are pretty much identical to an Evo's layout. Except for such cosmetics as the Evo's Recaro seats, the and the MOMO steering wheel. The interior setup is about the only thing we have that is similar to our big brother the Evo 8. When it comes to exterior parts we are more limited. Observing other posts in the show and shine, you will see than an Evo 8 wing will also fit our cars, BUT plan on doing some drilling to get it to fit. The MR rear window thingamajigs (for lack of a better word) that go near the antenna will also fit our cars. So will the antenna :cool: If anybody else can think of some exterior mods that fit both the Ralliart and Evo please respond.

Stuff from an Evo that WILL NOT FIT a Ralliart.

Heres one I have a lot of people asking me and it has to be the dumbest question ive been asked, WILL EVO HEADLIGHTS FIT ON OUR CARS? The answer simply is NO. They are so different that its not even funny. Unless you did some major body work they will not fit. Another thing that wont fit is a hood for an Evo. Taillights, front bumpers, rear bumpers, pretty much 90 percent of the stuff off an Evo's exterior will not fit our cars. And one more big one, Evo wheels WILL NOT fit our cars either, they are too wide. As for engine mods, other than hyper ground wires maybe, nothing I know of that fits an Evo will fit an RA. They are totally different engines.

Please, anybody feel free to fill anything in that I may be mistaken on or something I forgot to include. {thumbup}

wrecked Nov 25, 2004 09:43 PM

As for engine mods, other than hyper ground wires maybe, nothing I know of that fits an Evo will fit an RA. They are totally different engines.

Please, anybody feel free to fill anything in that I may be mistaken on or something I forgot to include. {thumbup}

One thing that I beleive is a match, is the shifter and related bushings. If I'm not mistaken, our shifter, base, and cables are right out of an Evo. Therefore, the shifter base bushings, cable end bushings, and after market short shifters are an exact match.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

BLKRalliArt04 Dec 5, 2004 02:07 PM

Paint Codes

You can find your paint code by popping the hood, looking on the firewall behind the steering wheel on a little silver plate, but for the lazy person in all of us, here are some codes off the top of my head, anybody feel free to correct me if they feel these are not correct and if a paint code isnt on the list then list it for me :)

Diamond white pearl W13
Cool Silver Metallic A69
Lightning Yellow Y01
Phoenix Red P85
Labrador Black Pearl X42
Thunder Grey Metallic A02
Graphite Grey Pearl A39

BLKRalliArt04 Dec 12, 2004 03:10 PM

Will an Evo 8 front end fit on an RA?

NO. You would have to do some major customization to get it to fit. The Evo is an entirely different car except for a few little things here and there. Common sense tells you , if you look at an evo's headlights and a ralliart's headlights, they are not even remotely similar. So there is no way an evo bumper will fit on an RA straight up with no modification.

IllicitRalliart Dec 12, 2004 05:46 PM

NO. You would have to do some major customization to get it to fit. The Evo is an entirely different car except for a few little things here and there. Common sense tells you , if you look at an evo's headlights and a ralliart's headlights, they are not even remotely similar. So there is no way an evo bumper will fit on an RA straight up with no modification.

Just to elaborate on that a lil bit.. The Evo Bumper and Body in General is wider.. The Door lines are different and the trunk is nowhere near the same.. if you wanted to do the conversion it would take a TON of modifications or just replacing every body panel.The fenders on the Evo would stick out on the RA about a half an inch and the Front bumper like wise as well as the Rear bumper.. Just thought ya would wanna know before going thru with the following question of " well what if I modified it to fit?"... It wont happen or atleast not Cheaply..Just my .02 and insight as I have already thought about it and attempted to do it.It gets Expensive Believe that.

BLKRalliArt04 Dec 26, 2004 01:48 PM

Hyper Ground Wires

Lots of people are led to believe that these actually provide power. In a way they do yes, but as far as horsepower, very little if any is obtained. They basically, in a nutshell, have a tendency to smooth out idling mainly. A lot of times it varies on what kind of car they are put on. They make the most noticeable difference in older cars with crappy grounding points. After installing ground cables on my previous car, the only things I myself recognized were brighter headlights (nothing out of this world bright, but bright enough to notice a little), smoother idling as stated previously, and sound system a tad clearer. Other than that, they were a waste of money. And I bought them from the people who started the aftermarket trend, sun automobile or something like that, so you know they were good. I just dont want people to believe that you are going to recognize any "kick in the ass" horsepower that companies would like you to believe. Just the ones I listed, and if anybody has anything else to add, then by all means feel free to do so.

otter Jan 2, 2005 08:17 PM

Here's the specifics on what wheels will fit - if any of these are incorrect, or if there are more to add, let me know and I'll edit this post. All these are based from what I learned reading the forums from other people's experience, and not my own experience.

15"-16" steelies
16x6 +46 (stock wheel)
16x7
16x7.5 +42
17x7
17x7.5 +42
18x7
18x7.5 +42

Stock tire is 205/50/16

On 7" wide wheels, offset can be anywhere from +40- +46, though +40 puts the wheel as far out as possible, and will probably look the best.

otter Jan 24, 2005 07:00 PM

Injen CAI for MANUALS - RD1833
Injen CAI for AUTOS - RD1834

The CAI for autos is listed on PTuning's site, but not Injens, make what you will of this.

BLKRalliArt04 Jan 25, 2005 04:18 PM

What springs will fit my RA?

Progress and Tein are two companies that make lowering springs for our cars, if it fits an OZ it will fit an RA. If it is an ES/EVO they WILL NOT FIT without modification.

BlackLab Jan 25, 2005 10:07 PM

Some generic Ralliart info:

ENGINE:
  • inline 4, iron block & aluminum head
  • MIVEC
  • SOHC 16valve
  • displacement 2378cc
  • bore/stroke 87.0mm x 100.0mm
  • compression ratio 9.5:1
  • hp 162@5750rpm
  • torque 162lb/ft@4000rpm
  • redline 6500rpm
  • reccommended fuel type: regular unleaded 87 octane
CHASSIS:
  • fwd unibody construction
  • curb weight (manual trans) 2880lbs
  • weight distribution front/rear: 60/40
  • length 180.5"
  • wheelbase 102.4"
  • track front/rear 57.9"/57.9"
  • front suspension: MacPherson struts, lower control arms, coil springs, tube shocks, 26mm anti-roll bar, 3-point strut tower brace
  • rear suspension: Multilink, coil spings, tube shocks, 13mm anti-roll bar
  • steering: rack and pinion with power assist
  • turning circle 37.4ft
BRAKES/WHEELS:
  • ABS with EBD
  • front 10.9" vented disc
  • rear 10.3" solid disc
  • single piston calipers
  • wheels 16"x6" cast aluminum, offset 46mm
  • tires 205/50R-16
TRANSMISSION (MANUAL STATS):
  • EVO VIII 5-speed
  • Gear Ratios: 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th: 3.58/1.95/1.38/1.03/0.82
  • Final drive ratio 4.04:1

boozeup&riot Feb 22, 2005 11:06 PM

Otter has helped answer many of my questions and he also mentions in this thread that the AEM bypass valve WILL fit the injen CAI. The correct size bypass for the injen CAI is 2.75 inches. I can only assume it'd be the same for AEM but I havent actually checked :|

BLKRalliArt04 Feb 25, 2005 03:33 PM

RRM Dowpipe

I have been seeing a fair share of threads about this so I thought I would answer some questions about it.

1) Is it legal?

No, removing your catalytic converter is simply illegal (at least on public roads). So dont plan on passing any (legal) inspections unless you weld on a cat converter.

2) Will it affect my emissions?

Yes, it removes your cat, so its obviously going to affect it.

3) What will it sound like?

From what many people have told me personally who own it said it sounds horrendous on stock muffler. Even with the RRM axleback it still sounds "raspy" and obnoxious. As far as power is concerned, I have heard so many different opinions that I cannot make an accurate conclusion.

4) Is RRM a good company to buy from?

YES :beer:

AlkalineTrio124 Feb 25, 2005 04:02 PM

RRM DOWNPIPE & O2 SENSOR

Speaking of the downpipe, cat delete... Alot of people have been asking the question of how to avoid throwing CEL, I've yet to try this, but it seems to be working for most that do it!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=119829

BLKRalliArt04 Feb 27, 2005 08:04 AM

Ebay Mufflers (Common sense stuff)

Lots of people who do not have much experience with Ebay get screwed when it comes to buying mufflers off ebay. For instance, say somebody is looking for an HKS muffler, they type in "HKS" and get about 100+ results. (This applies to other name brands such as Tanabe, Greddy, Borla etc) NOOB's at first glance see HKS on the title and immediately assume that it really is an HKS. Then they see prices like $8.88 to $44.95 and get hyped up thinking that they can get a reputable brand muffler for dirt cheap. THOSE MUFFLERS ARE NOT HKS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE TITLE SAYS. First of all, most big companies do not make ONLY mufflers for cars (ie Greddy). Secondly, HKS would not sell their mufflers for that cheap considering their catback systems cost upwards of $500+. Third, If you are looking for a name brand muffler and get a hundred results back, look for the more expensive prices such as $150 and above and make sure in the description it says that they are genuine parts from that manafacturer. I have seen numerous people get screwed over thinking they got a name brand for such a cheap price, only to get it welded on and find out it sounds like a gutted CRX and rusts off within a month. Just thought I would share some knowledge of mine. :)

BLKRalliArt04 Mar 4, 2005 05:48 PM

Acronyms

Heres what some of the acronyms that we use to help out with the people who dont know,

SRI- Short Ram Intake
CAI- Cold Air Intake
CEL- Check Engine Light
TIA- Thanks In Advance
RA - RalliArt
IMO - In My Opinion
IMHO - In My Honest Opinion
S&S - Sun And Sound
TY - Thank You
FYI - For Your Information
RRM - Road Race Motorsports
NOOB - pronounced "new bee"
CF - Carbon Fiber
JDM - Japanese Domestic Market
FS - For Sale
WTB - Want To Buy
HID - High Intensity Discharge
ECU - Electronic Control Unit
OEM - Original Equipment Manafactured
SES: Service Engine Soon
DSM = diamond star motors (mitsubishi)
BTW - By the way

Thats all I can think of now, any more than i forgot please feel free to contribute.

BLKRalliArt04 Mar 19, 2005 04:51 PM

Front Sidemarker Light Bulb

If you are trying to replace the sidemarker lights on your lancer, the bulb size is 194 wedge. You can get them at www.superbrightleds.com or www.autolumination.com Make sure you get LED's and not standard bulbs, they fade out too fast and arent bright for sh*t.

sicnevol Mar 31, 2005 03:07 PM

otay, well I need a turbo for an automatic and RRMS only has the five speed. Where should I look?

Ralliartboy Apr 4, 2005 06:43 PM

what is our chassis code?

ralliart1979 Apr 7, 2005 06:52 AM

Man If you think that you woun't buy from accolade your crazy the kit on importtrends is ugly. I think that the eyelids that accolade are sweet.

CF-Ninja Apr 7, 2005 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by fborg

No they won't fit.

I'll conferm they dont the Mitsu dealer was gunna give me a set and they were way off on the bolt offset

Croix Apr 8, 2005 10:55 PM

Our chassis code is CS7A, it's on the firewall in the engine bay.

BLKRalliArt04 Apr 20, 2005 04:43 PM

Aftermarket Steering wheels

ANY aftermarket steering wheel will fit, however you will need a hub adapter. You can get the "splash" hub adapters from Z-1 here on the vendor website. And as far as I know, any adapter made for an evo 7 and 8 will fit on our cars. Here is the link, http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ior&prodid=928
or you can get the new and much cheaper momo hub adapter here http://ltbmotorsport.com/mohubadkitwi.html

BLKRalliArt04 Apr 20, 2005 04:49 PM

Do Evo 8 seats fit our cars?

Yes, the brackets the evo 8 seats come on are the same as ours, so they should bolt right up.

BLKRalliArt04 Apr 25, 2005 04:37 PM

Turbonator & Spiralmax, do they work?

NO. Just another hype to make money off of you.

otter May 2, 2005 01:07 PM

http://w02.us/resources/GIF/05_lancer_spec.gif

BLKRalliArt04 Jun 5, 2005 03:21 PM

I want to mod my car, what mods are out there?

Engine

RRM Cold Air Intake - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Short Ram Intake - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Injen Cold Air Intake - www.injen.com
AEM Cold Air Intake - www.aempower.com
Turbo Kit (Manual transmission only) - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Piggyback ECU - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Port and Polished Intake Manifold - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Pulley Kit - www.roadracemotorsports.com

Transmission

Stage 1 Clutch Set - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Flywheel - www.roadracemotorsports.com www.unorthodoxracing.com
Stainless Steel Clutchline - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Stage 1 and 2 Clutch Kit - Workz (look on vendor forums for link)

Exhaust

Cat-Back Exhaust System - www.ultimate-racing.com
Axle-back Exhaust System - www.roadracemotorsports.com

Suspension

Progress Lowering Springs - www.progressauto.com
Tein Lowering Springs - www.tein.com
Tein Basic/Super Street Coilovers - www.tein.com
Nextech Coilover Springs (no struts) - www.500whp.com
Progress Rear Sway Bar - www.progressauto.com
Lower Tie Bar - www.roadracemotorsports.com
Rear Upper Tie bar - contact "PDXralliart" on these boards for a sun and sound application, www.roadracemotorsports.com

What parts are NOT made for our cars?

1) Header
2) Camshafts
3) Cam Gears
4) Supercharger
5) Many more but these are the most basic ones I get asked a lot.

diameters Jun 8, 2005 05:14 AM

i got a quick ?....

would you have to drew new holes for the evo 7 & 8 wings??

otter Jun 8, 2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mitsugirl420
i got a quick ?....

would you have to drill new holes for the evo 7 & 8 wings??

Yes or no, depending on the wing. Just assume that you do, and it'll be a nice surprise if you don't have to. When you do need to drill, it's only two holes, as the other holes line up.

mojambo Jun 8, 2005 11:13 AM

-works sells a stage 1 and 2 clutch kit along with a flywheel
-unorthodox racing sells a flywheel

BLKRalliArt04 Jun 12, 2005 01:38 PM

Do they make cams/cam gears for our cars

No, and its probably not going to happen for a VERY long time.

otter Jun 13, 2005 12:04 AM

Details about MIVEC

This keeps coming up, so I figured I'd explain it so people stop spreading incorrect information.

MIVEC controls two things - timing and valve lift. The timing aspect is pretty basic - the ECU advances/retards timing at various RPMs to increase HP or torque. At some points in the RPM band, timing is advanced as far as 20 degrees. This is VERY important information, especially if you're trying to run nitrous or build yourself a custom turbo kit. Can the timing be controlled? Yes. However, there are no instructions or how-to's on it, so you'll need to figure it out yourself. The companies that know how to do it (RRM) aren't talking, out of interest of protecting their R&D.

It's the valve lift portion that confuses people and has the most incorrect information spread about it. MIVEC runs in two modes (note: MIVEC only affects intake valves, not exhaust) -

Mode 1 - one valve in each cylinder operates at low lift, the other at medium lift. This helps the engine create more torque.

Mode 2 - both intake valves operate at high lift. This increases horsepower.

The engagement/disengagement point is at 3500rpm. I thought I read a tech write-up somewhere saying that it was 3600 (engage) and 3400 (disengage), but I can't find it. When I do I'll post it here.

Finally, the mode change is hydraulic (oil controlled), not mechanical.

Want the technical nitty-gritty, or just having problems sleeping? Read these tech docs on exactly how MIVEC works:
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_01.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_02.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_03.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_04.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_05.gif

Azure Jun 14, 2005 01:47 PM

Few Misc. Things...

Azure IS as sexy in real life as he seems on the boards. Quit asking! ;)

- may have missed it, but Nex Tech also sells Coilover Springs for our car
- Yes, our car wheel gap IS bigger in the front then back - this isn't a problem with your car

BLKRalliArt04 Jul 2, 2005 11:20 AM

Gas for your RA

In a nutshell, running a higher octane than what your car is designed for is POINTLESS and STUPID. You are burning a hole in your pocket if you think putting premium in your car will 1)make it perform better 2)get better gas mileage 3)make your engine last longer. The only time you would need to put a higher octane in your car is after putting on the RRM piggyback ECU. Otter made a good post about this awhile back that pretty much sums it up.

"It makes little to no sense to run 91 octane fuel in an engine that only needs 87 octane. You're just throwing money away. Higher octane fuels have higher flashpoints, so they're necessary in higher compression engines, and engines tuned for significantly greater than stock performance, but is completely unneeded in the stock engine.

If running higher octane actually gave you better gas milage, as you think it does, then all manufacturers would say their car requires it so they could put the slightly better MPG number on the sticker."

PR_Mivec Jul 2, 2005 09:46 PM

cam gear

if you want to put a cam gear you can bolt up the one of the 2.4 eclipse....

BLKRalliArt04 Jul 7, 2005 10:27 PM

Oil overview...Synthetic vs Regular

Synthetic advantages (read carefully)

Synthetic oil was originally developed for high performance racing engines. Mobil tried to popularize synthetic oil for passenger vehicles back in the early 1970's. At the time, Mobil was promoting 20K or 25K oil changes with synthetic, but they soon backed down from this. Synthetic oil is a good choice if you have a vehicle with a high performance engine (in fact synthetic is required for many of these engines). It is also a good choice if your vehicle is operated in extremely cold climates. It has higher resistance to breakdown caused by heat and it flows better in extreme cold. Unfortunately for the synthetic oil industry there is virtually no advantage to using synthetic oil in a non-high performance engine that is operated in moderate climates. You probably could go a bit longer between oil changes with a synthetic, i.e. following the normal service schedule even if you fall into the severe service category, but I wouldn't advise this. In short, synthetic may give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are using an oil that is far better than necessary for your vehicle, but it won't reduce wear or extend the life of the engine. The mistake some people make it to wrongly extrapolate these benefits onto normal engines operated in mild climates, with the ultimate lack of any knowledge being manifested with statements such as "synthetics provide 'Peace of Mind,' or 'Cheap Insurance,'" or other such nonsense

So in a nutshell...

Synthetic oil is a good choice if you have a high performance engine or if you live in an extremely cold climate, otherwise it provides no benefit (but no harm either).

chiquita Jul 8, 2005 09:17 PM

I didn't see this question asked on this thread.

Will the evo 8 armrest fit our 04 ralliarts? That is one thing I would like to have for my RA for a comfort add on. I wish I had that because I find my elbow resting on my thingy (forget what it's called) Is there room to add a armrest?

edit: in response to this question, yes an evo armrest will fit on our cars...blkralliart04

ROCK Jul 8, 2005 09:28 PM

Good constructive thread! Nice to see people helping out lancer guys.

ROAD/RACE :apimp:

WoRkZ Jul 8, 2005 09:56 PM

-

Hey there guys!

I really need to know what the stock compression rate is on our springs (front and back). The only thing I know is that they're stiffer than the OZ, especially in the front (to compensate for the added weight of the 2.4 MIVEC) but also a bit in the back.

-

BLKRalliArt04 Jul 10, 2005 12:46 PM

Touch up paint

If you have a bunch of dents and dings where paint is chipping, www.paintscratch.com is a good place to go. Otherwise, your dealership should carry touch up pens. But I recommend going on www.mitsubishiparts.net for your oem parts needs.

BLKRalliArt04 Jul 16, 2005 07:56 AM

Where to buy wheels

Heres some places that specialize in wheels. Hundreds of places sell wheels, but these places specialize in selling them. Heres some places off the top of my head.

www.wheelguyz.com
www.wheelmax.com
www.tires.com
www.dragonwheels.com
www.discounttiredirect.com
www.bestwheel.com
www.hpdesignwheels.com
www.finalstageauto.com
www.wheelsboutique.com
www.wheelsnext.com
www.tirerack.com

BLKRalliArt04 Jul 17, 2005 08:44 AM

Brake upgrades for my Ralliart?

Looking for brake upgrades for your Ralliart? Heres where you can get them

Road/Race Big brake rotor kit (front only) - www.roadracemotorsports.com - This is probably the best brake upgrade out there.

Powerslot rotors (front only) - www.ptuning.com just to name one vendor

All around brake rotors - www.r1concepts.com

RRM rotors and pads (all around) www.roadracemotorsports.com

ROCK Jul 17, 2005 10:29 AM

We sell slotted rotors and pads too. Thanks

CG5TougeMaster Jul 26, 2005 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by fborg

No they won't fit.

why not? offset wrong?

BLKRalliArt04 Aug 1, 2005 06:51 PM

Will an Evo engine fit in my Ralliart?

Anything is possible, but in a nutshell, NO it will not.

BLKRalliArt04 Aug 1, 2005 07:01 PM

Do they make a Carbon Fiber trunk for our cars?

Yes.

http://store.wspisp.net/ceriousperfo...ail.bok?no=361

BLKRalliArt04 Aug 3, 2005 02:46 PM

Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Ah yes, the infamous turbo vs supercharger question which gets asked so many times, heres the lowdown on the two.

First of all, both turbochargers and superchargers have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The Supercharger

Superchargers are compressors which use power from the engine to compress the intake air. In reality, turbochargers are superchargers which are driven by engine exhaust. Typically, however, when one refers to a supercharger, they mean all superchargers except turbochargers. There are three types of superchargers which are commonly used: the roots blower, centrifugal superchargers, and screw-type superchargers. Each of these superchargers are driven by a pulley system by the engine crankshaft, so the faster the engine speed, the faster the supercharger speed. The roots blower and screw-type superchargers typically operate up to 15,000 RPMS. The centrifugal supercharger can reach speeds exceeding 40,000 RPMS.

The Turbocharger

Turbochargers, however, are driven by the engine's exhaust gases. A turbocharger operates at maximum speeds often reaching 150,000 RPMS.

The Comparison: Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Response. Superchargers afford the engine immediate response since the supercharger is always compressing intake air, provided that the engine is rotating. Although this initial boost is very small, it's growth is gradual with increased engine speed, resulting in a smooth increase in power. Turbochargers, on the other hand, suffer from what is refered to as turbo lag. Because of the inertia of the turbocharger rotating assembly, the turbo must "spool up" before it is able to compress air, so there is no power increase at low engine speeds, as the turbo impeller starts rotating. At WOT (wide-open throttle), there is usually a very sudden increase in turbo boost at a certain RPM range (typically near 3000 RPM). If you've ever driven a turbocharged vehicle, you probably know what this kick in the pants feels like. Turbochargers can also be sized so that faster response is acheived. For example, diesel engines use turbochargers which are small enough to spool by 1700-2000 RPMS. The trade-off is that maximum power can't be reached with such a small turbocharger.

Reliability

People often say that superchargers are more reliable than turbochargers. Because turbochargers operate at such high temperatures and are oil lubricated, if they are not allowed to cool down before the engine is turned off, the oil can bake inside the turbocharger. This can result in shorter turbocharger life. However, with proper care and cool down, a turbocharger can last as long as an engine.

So what should I get?

The main advantages to supercharging are low-end response (not the case with centrifugal types) and simplicity. The main advantages to turbocharging are efficiency and the realization of maximum power.

BLKRalliArt04 Sep 26, 2005 05:13 PM

Where can I buy aftermarket taillights for my Lancer?

You have two choices from Burg Design, however they are based out in Australia.

Black Taillights

Chrome Taillights

BLKRalliArt04 Oct 17, 2005 02:10 PM

Weight of OEM/Aftermarket Wheels

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

WoRkZ Oct 17, 2005 05:08 PM

-

Herrrr... uh... no RA in there (no Lancer at all I think)??? Or is it just me? If it's there, maybe you could add some pointers to your post??? ;)

-

fkdrcrs Oct 25, 2005 05:17 AM

I almost forgot the biggest one of them all...

A MOD TO YOUR CAR CAN ONLY VOID THE WARRANTY IF THAT SPECIFIC MOD IS THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM So if you put on lowering springs and your alternator goes bad, since the springs have nothing to do with the alternator, you wont have any problems voiding the warranty.

so basically if you have the piggy back and you have any type of computer or sensor problem i guess your screwed right? :mitsu:

BLKRalliArt04 Oct 25, 2005 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by fkdrcrs
so basically if you have the piggy back and you have any type of computer or sensor problem i guess your screwed right? :mitsu:

If the piggyback is the cause of the problem, then yes you're screwed.

ROCK Oct 25, 2005 08:58 AM

Thanks for the plug Black. What is the piggy question again? RA piggys have been bulletproof.

BLKRalliArt04 Oct 25, 2005 09:09 AM

Im simply stating that if the piggy was the source of the problem then warrantywise he'd be screwed. That goes for ANY part.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 6, 2005 05:43 AM

Does an intake put on my SES light?

No, not if you install it correctly.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 21, 2005 04:48 AM

I installed an SRI/CAI, how do I get rid of the SES light?

This is a quote taken from "otter".

Go over your CAI/SRI installation, make sure you installed everything correctly, the clamps are tight, and the MAF sensor is in correctly. Once you're sure of that, reset your ECU by disconnecting your battery for 10 minutes.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 28, 2005 04:38 AM

Cheapest place to buy an intake?

www.ptuning.com or www.coximport.com are probably the cheapest places you are going to find.

BLKRalliArt04 Nov 28, 2005 05:12 AM

Steps to modifying the engine in the 2.4L Mivec Ralliart

Steps to Modifying the engine in your Lancer Ralliart
*Note, this applies to Ralliart Lancers only. The order of importance is different than other normally aspirated Lancer engines.*
*Note #2, the installation ratings are based on a moderately knowledgeable individual with basic knowledge of cars.*

1) Short Ram Intake/Cold Air Intake: For most cars out there, the intake is the first part of the engine that goes. Replacing the restrictive stock intake to get more air into the engine is always a top priority when it comes to getting more power out of your engine.
*Installation Difficulty (1-10, with 10 being the hardest) SRI-3 CAI-5/6 (removing the front bumper is what makes this more difficult)
*Est. Power Produced (very rough estimate) SRI-3 to 5hp CAI-5 to 8hp

2) RRM Downpipe: Lets face it, the stock downpipe sucks. There are more twists and turns in it than a mountain road. Replacing the stock downpipe with an RRM downpipe not only frees the airflow drastically, but eliminates the catalytic converter. This is a decent power mod in that is increases the air flow, however, removal of your working catalytic converter is illegal, and don’t plan on passing a smog test with it off. Another note that should be mentioned is that it is very LOUD.
*Installation Difficulty – 5 to 6
*Est. Power Produced – 5 to 10hp

3) Underdrive Pulley Kit (UDP): A good mod for the money. “A lightweight crank pulley that is under-driven to release more power in unsprung weight from the engine. It results in an under-drive of around 25%, which frees up power.” (Road Race Motorsports, www.roadracemotorsports.com )
*Installation Difficulty – 3.5
*Est. Power Produced – 6 to 7whp

4) Piggyback ECU – As far as power goes, a piggyback ecu is one of the best mods you can do. The RRM piggyback does most of its work in the upper RPM range

*To be continued, THIS IS NOT FINISHED*

BLKRalliArt04 Dec 15, 2005 07:33 AM

Where can I get Projector headlights for my RA?

Chrome Halo Projectors

Be advised that you have to use H3 bulbs for the headlights, and vision at night will be reduced drastically when compared to stock headlights.

dakbaker Jan 29, 2006 06:58 AM

dakbaker

I have a new 2004 Raliart wagon. Less than 3K miles. The MPG is much less than what I expected. 16-18 in town, max 25 on the road. Very dissapointing. Anyone have suggestions on MPG improvement? If I can't get better mileage, may sell car.

Dan in Lake Havasu

DangerousDan Jan 29, 2006 08:07 AM

stay below 3500 rpm's where the mivec comes on. you should post your own thread in the forum, this is just for informational posts.

blackhawkRA Jan 29, 2006 01:18 PM

Dan - Either Make a new thread or search. If you show enough self-control, you should be able to hit about 28-30 on the highway and ~25 on the street.

DangerousDan Feb 7, 2006 10:50 PM

CEL SES OBDII system

Any autoparts chain such as autozone will pull any code from your OBDII system for free. They can also clear any codes from your computer that are set by the OBDII system causing a check engine light(CEL)/service engine soon light(SES) to come on in your gauge cluster.

Red Dragon Feb 7, 2006 10:57 PM

only dealer can turn off air bag light

Scooter's owner Mar 6, 2006 12:45 AM

Hi guys im a brand new member here but I have a few questions some of yall might be able to help me with.......

1. Is there anyway in hell i can get a Drifter wing attached to my RA? I have looked up countless website that say they are universal but really have a list of the cars they will fit....which happen to exclude the RA haha

2. That evo 46gt (??) turbo.......great numbers...will it fit the RA? I know both evo and ra have different engines but i was just wondering.

3. Other than RRM, what other RELIABLE companies make a turbo for our cars?

4. I swear this is the last one but...... eyelids.......other than accolade are there any others that look atleast decent the ones at accolade look like balls.

thanks everybody

Johnny Hamilton
2004 Mitsu RA
mostly stock besides crap muffler and nice wheels that came with the car

Scooter's owner Mar 6, 2006 12:46 AM

o btw..... im barely on here so cubanero305@aol.ocm is my e mail hit a ***** up haha jk

mitsutech005 Mar 6, 2006 06:46 AM

1 should be able to, just would require some drilling for fitment, but please dot put any aluminum bleachers on the back of your ralliart.

2 the 4g63 will not practically fit in our engine cradle/bay

3 non that i know of.

4 rrm and there is another one too

Scooter's owner Mar 6, 2006 08:50 AM

thanks bro as far as the exo turbo goes someone claimed to have done it on here i remeber browsing through here and running across it umm.... any idea as to who it might be....who dat be? haha and i think a drifter wing on a RA would look dope with Accolade's Hyper body kit...... o and one more thing......flywheels.....besides RRM any others?

mitsutech005 Mar 6, 2006 09:01 AM

sevral, just do a search bro

Thegreydevil219 Mar 18, 2006 10:32 AM

Im a long time reader of the forum but only recently joined (way to busy), i want to beat out stis and evos, in my ralliart, and a turbo is the way to do it im wondering:

1: is there anyone with a ralliart who has beaten an evo or sti with there turbo set up, in a fair race where both drivers were giving it there all?

2: is it cheaper to get a custom made turbo, rather then rrms?

3: did you beat the evo or sti from a launch or a roll?, and what are the whp / trq figures of your ralliart with the turbo,

any information you provide would help me alot, b/c im just so torn, ralliarts fun to drive, and i love to drive fast, but if im gonna dump 5 gs in to my car, including installation, and i cant even beat stock evos and sti's whats the point? thanks

Current mods: rrm front lip
20% tins all around
aftermarket wheels

"Racing in a honda is alot like the special olympics even if you win your still retarded" -streetfire.net

mitsutech005 Mar 18, 2006 11:19 AM

i do it with n2o

ROCK Mar 18, 2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thegreydevil219
Im a long time reader of the forum but only recently joined (way to busy), i want to beat out stis and evos, in my ralliart, and a turbo is the way to do it im wondering:

1: is there anyone with a ralliart who has beaten an evo or sti with there turbo set up, in a fair race where both drivers were giving it there all?

2: is it cheaper to get a custom made turbo, rather then rrms?

3: did you beat the evo or sti from a launch or a roll?, and what are the whp / trq figures of your ralliart with the turbo,

any information you provide would help me alot, b/c im just so torn, ralliarts fun to drive, and i love to drive fast, but if im gonna dump 5 gs in to my car, including installation, and i cant even beat stock evos and sti's whats the point? thanks

Current mods: rrm front lip
20% tins all around
aftermarket wheels

"Racing in a honda is alot like the special olympics even if you win your still retarded" -streetfire.net

Been done me personally in our RA turbo plus a bunch of our customers. EVO, STI, SRT are all fair game provide they are not too modded.

ROAD/RACE:apimp:

Thegreydevil219 Mar 19, 2006 01:35 PM

Thanks rock, needed the reasurance lol

ROCK Mar 19, 2006 03:28 PM

No problem

nRgOfMithrandir Mar 28, 2006 12:02 AM

Ok i read the whole thread noone asked..so here goes.....will evo coilovers fit our RA's?

bigdoggy_dog May 9, 2006 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter's owner
thanks bro as far as the exo turbo goes someone claimed to have done it on here i remeber browsing through here and running across it umm.... any idea as to who it might be....who dat be? haha and i think a drifter wing on a RA would look dope with Accolade's Hyper body kit...... o and one more thing......flywheels.....besides RRM any others?

WORKS and RRM are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that make flywheels. WORKS has a link to their site in the Vendor section of this site. And it sounds like you already know how to get to RRM's site.

redlancer14 Jun 13, 2006 01:25 PM

Ok... what do i need to do to smoke alot of cars out there... I got a Lancer Ralliart 2006.

ROCK Jun 13, 2006 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by redlancer14
Ok... what do i need to do to smoke alot of cars out there... I got a Lancer Ralliart 2006.

RA with our turbo kit smokes a lot of stuff!

DangerousDan Jun 13, 2006 07:57 PM

Cars with automatic transmissions do not use flywheels or clutches. Some people may be amazed that this needs to be posted, others will thank me that they didn't make fools of themselves.

Eclipse2Lancer Jun 26, 2006 10:30 AM

Spark Plugs

OEM Spark plugs part number - LZFR6AI (NGK Iridiums)
Gap - 0.028-0.031 inch; 0.7-0.8mm
Torque to 18 ft/lbs; 25 Nm

Don't use cheap double platinums.....you can actually blow the gaps and cause a misfire. :)

Ralliart50 Aug 29, 2006 01:09 PM

1. Yes, any tail lights from an ES OZ or RA from 04-06 will fit the car.

2. No, niether of those will work on the RA. Either do a K&N drop in or go for an RRM, Injen, or AEM intake.

3. I run mine at 32psi all the way around. It seems to get me pretty good wear and good gas mileage. 33K miles on the stock RS-A's and average 28-29 mpg.

only06RA Aug 29, 2006 06:15 PM

the reason Ive posted threads on the intakes was because I wasnt sure if there were any known problems with any of them(voiding warrenties)IE (using the bypass valve on the injen cai),also I want to know wich one people think sounds better ect..Im buyin mine for the sound and look..

i have the rrm cai and i have no problems with the warr. and it sounds awsome

ROCK Aug 29, 2006 08:16 PM

A lot of Mitsu dealers buy our intakess etc so there should not be any real warranty issues from them.

otter Aug 29, 2006 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by defeated26
3. What is a good tire pressure for the stock tires? I am using what was in the manual and it seems weird, maybe that is just because i went from an Evo to a Ralliart but i thought maybe it was just the pressure or tires that come stock.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Welcome to the Ralliart side, but my condolences that you had to get rid of your Evo.

I run 35-36psi in my front tires and around 33-34 in the rear. I found that using the recommended 32 all around made the car feel "soft" both going straight and cornering.

otter Sep 5, 2006 07:53 AM

I had some free time today and decided to do some research. I've come up with the following:

4G69 uses 4G63 rod and crank bearings (old news)
4G69 uses the EVO timing belt tensioner which is aluminum, not cast iron
4G69 intake valve = 34mm (4G63 EVO = 34mm) May fit?
4G69 exhaust valve = 30.55mm (4G63 EVO = 30.5mm) May fit?
4G69 uses 4G64, 4G94 valve spring retainers
4G69 uses 4G63, 4G64 head bolts (can use 4G63 ARP head studs )
4G69 uses 4G63, 4G64 main bolts (can use 4G63 ARP main studs )
4G69 uses 4G63 EVO balance shafts (can use 4G63 EVO BS eliminator kit )

Nothing spectacular, I know. Every little bit helps though. Here's a good read on how Mitsubishi took a 4G64, modified it and called it a 4G69: Article. Lightened rods, lightened crank, lightened crank pulley, larger valves, shorter block height and other goodies. They did a very nice job and came out with a very nice engine.